Medical Emergency on Spirit

jenpan

.... I have a back up to the back up right now.....

That's a good idea! No wonder your daughter is so responsible - her mom is!

Nice to see so many here on CC that are understanding of the difficulties when something like this happens. There are so many people that just don't get it sometimes. Thanks CCers!:D

That's a good idea! No wonder your daughter is so responsible - her mom is!

Nice to see so many here on CC that are understanding of the difficulties when something like this happens. There are so many people that just don't get it sometimes. Thanks CCers!:D

I "get it" that the change was done because of a medical emergency and was necessary to save the life (I hope) of one person. But - big but - you have to realize that the action has consequences that will affect many, many people. Think of how many people will miss their flights, how many airline workers will now need to deal with all the flight changes, the cabin stewards that won't have as much time to turn over cabins, the embarking passengers who aren't able to get on the ship, the dock workers who may now have to stay late, etc., etc. There's thousands of people who have been affected, and I don't think it's unreasonable that a few of them are going to be upset and complain. (BTW - this sounds like a great discussion for an ethics class at university. Do you disrupt the lives of thousands to save the life of one?)

I "get it" that the change was done because of a medical emergency and was necessary to save the life (I hope) of one person. But - big but - you have to realize that the action has consequences that will affect many, many people. Think of how many people will miss their flights, how many airline workers will now need to deal with all the flight changes, the cabin stewards that won't have as much time to turn over cabins, the embarking passengers who aren't able to get on the ship, the dock workers who may now have to stay late, etc., etc. There's thousands of people who have been affected, and I don't think it's unreasonable that a few of them are going to be upset and complain. (BTW - this sounds like a great discussion for an ethics class at university. Do you disrupt the lives of thousands to save the life of one?)

I really feel bad for all of those who might be inconvenienced. In answer to your question of ethics ABSOLUTELY!

I really feel bad for all of those who might be inconvenienced. In answer to your question of ethics ABSOLUTELY!

Agreed. It had to be done. If you or your family were the one needing a life saving (and I am sure it was) airlift you would support the decision. But I see the how it could be an interesting discussion.

Wondering what, if any comments here will be next week.

One time on a flight we had to set down unexpectedly to get a Diabetic to a hospital. The passengers were the nastiest bunch of (@@@@@@@@) I'd ever seen. But at least they held their their traps until the poor lady was off the plane. I have no doubt they would have preferred to let her die and just continue on without delay. I'm just so proud to be an American sometimes :(

You really have to wonder what is going through peoples' minds when they act like 5 year olds screaming and carrying on. Yes it is difficult and yes our lives are chaotic, some more than others but there's no need to take it out on NCL. They didn't cause the medical emergency. And regardless of what happens, they do their best to offer some sort of compensation. I've never been more embarrassed than a December Jewel cruise out of NY when we lost an entire day due to a problem in Boston at drydock. You would have thought that NCL had murdered someone. Appalling behavior .... BUT - it wasn't all Americans.

What if it was YOUR life and the rest of us didn't want to be disrupted?

I agree, it may be a big inconvenience to thousands, but I don't think there is much discussion for an ethics class. Ethically, I would think, hands down, the answer is to save someone's life. Life is to valuable to think it's not worth saving someone even if it means some major rearrangements need to be done to people's travel plans.

We are boarding the Spirit today and I feel bad that the crew won't get any downtime between cruises. Yes, thousands of people are inconvenienced, but I agree 100% with what NCL did. That sick passenger's life is certainly worth it. We are going to spend the day enjoying New Orleans.

Linda

MY D is boarding today- I wonder what parking at port will be like -when I called they said for her group to be there at 4 to check in but I am thinking that the parking deck won't have much parking? she is going with another family.She did say that NO is packed-they went to dinner in the Quarter last night and planned to go to Cafe Du monde for breakfast-I had not planned on her driving all over NO . they are in 2 cars.

The ship tracker shows a way point of around 10A local for the mouth of the Mississippi River. That would put the ship in to the dock around 4PM as thought. They want the boarding passengers to show at 5PM. It will take around 2 and a half hours to clear the ship through customs.

It will be a mad house when they actually start trying to board the ship if they don't do better than they did at Christmas when this happens. We are planning a slow and lazy day and will be happy when we are on board.

Thanks for the updates :) we are trying to figure out what to do all day in NO...mostly trying to keep a baby occupied. I am hoping the CAS check in will help us. Would seem everyone showing up all at once will be crazy. I hope the person evacuated is ok and feel for those coming in with flights to deal with. Hoping for the best :)

If I was "stuck" near the port of New Orleans, I guess I'd just have to drown my sorrows at Cafe du Monde... and book an "I'm stranded, save me!" consolation room at Le Pavillon (for the reviving 10 pm spread).

What a town to have to plan a backup plan for! :)

We are currently expecting Norwegian Spirit to arrive alongside into the Port of New Orleans at approximately 4 pm. Embarkation for guests on today's voyage will begin at approximately 7 pm.

Early arriving guests to the pier can drop off their checked luggage. We encourage guests delay arriving to the terminal and instead enjoy the nearby sights of New Orleans.

We thank our guests for their patience and understanding.

We are currently expecting Norwegian Spirit to arrive alongside into the Port of New Orleans at approximately 4 pm. Embarkation for guests on today's voyage will begin at approximately 7 pm.

Early arriving guests to the pier can drop off their checked luggage. We encourage guests delay arriving to the terminal and instead enjoy the nearby sights of New Orleans.

We thank our guests for their patience and understanding.

Thank you for the update!

Everyone enjoy New Orleans for the day. Hopefully the weather will be nice for you!

MY D is boarding today- I wonder what parking at port will be like -when I called they said for her group to be there at 4 to check in but I am thinking that the parking deck won't have much parking? she is going with another family.She did say that NO is packed-they went to dinner in the Quarter last night and planned to go to Cafe Du monde for breakfast-I had not planned on her driving all over NO . they are in 2 cars.

I used the parking at Howard Avenue garage the last time we sailed from NOLA and it was great. Good shuttle service each way and a secure place to park. Much less expensive than the port also!

the number if you are interested is 865 366 7014, ask for parking. it is not far from the port at 932 Howard Avenue.

Thanks for the updates :) we are trying to figure out what to do all day in NO...mostly trying to keep a baby occupied. I am hoping the CAS check in will help us. Would seem everyone showing up all at once will be crazy. I hope the person evacuated is ok and feel for those coming in with flights to deal with. Hoping for the best :)

We're taking our 1yo to the Aquarium, that's probably the best attraction for the little ones. The Zoo would be another option - it's a bit further out but it looks like we have plenty of time.

We're taking our 1yo to the Aquarium, that's probably the best attraction for the little ones. The Zoo would be another option - it's a bit further out but it looks like we have plenty of time.

I really enjoyed watching the otters and petting the stingrays at the Aquarium. The fountain outside the Aquarium is also good for kiddo-entrancing. :) Another option might be to ride the street cars.

I hope the person who was evacuated is OK.

Having said that, I would have welcomed the chance to transit the whole river in daylight! What a wonderful experience.

Yes, flights are affected, but that sort of thing can happen, and that is why you have travel insurance, right? So no complaints on a late arrival, please. It could not be helped!

I hope the person who was evacuated is OK.

Having said that, I would have welcomed the chance to transit the whole river in daylight! What a wonderful experience.

I was thinking the same thing about it being daylight and enjoying the view into port. That would be nice.

Sounds like the Spirit is still arriving late so if you are leaving today you might want to swing by the port and drop off your luggage and then go wander about town.

For some ideas of what to do with your extra time the French Quarter is a walkable distance as is shopping on Canal Street and Harrah's. There is the Aquarium, an IMax, and who would have guessed, an Audubon Insectarium for those that are into bugs of all sorts. The riverwalk is pretty and south of the bridge is Mardi Gras World.

Hope y'all have a great day and get to enjoy some of New Orleans. Someday I'm gonna get there. You can tell I've planned what to do already!

Thank you for the posting guys! My daughter is on the ship with a lot of Spring Breakers and I had not heard a word. Nothing on the NCL website either. I called NCL twice and got that they will be in at 4:00 and the other guy said 3:00. Not sure why two answers but we all know that is how it is (which is why I called twice). Latest plane (flying Southwest) to get my daughter out on is 5:15; I really hope they make up some time and she is able to get on the flight. I am surprised and intrigued that the delay is so much. I would expect up to a few hours but this is a lot. As far as the people complaining...at least it is not my daughter on the medical emergency; I can handle a flight change. It can ALWAYS be worse. I hope the person is doing okay.

i can understand 2 different answers, probably they were hoping for sometime around 3 but then realized it might be longer.

Nita

i can understand 2 different answers, probably they were hoping for sometime around 3 but then realized it might be longer.

Nita

Yes, I can see that but the phone calls were made within 20 minutes of each other so they just did not have their details straight.

Archived