Insurance question: missed flights because of med evacuation

BigMattT

Howdy-- insurance/delay question:

We purchased the most comprehensive insurance package offered by Travel Guard for our NCL Spirit cruise ending today. As other posts have mentioned, NCL diverted the ship toward key west for a medical evacuation and it resulted in significant delays arriving back in New Orleans (we're actually still not docked and they announced we will be docking at 5pm.)

Travel Guard assisted us to rebook flights for tomorrow morning to get home costing about $1200 for the two of us.

Travel Guard also advised us we may not be reimbursed due to the nature of the delay, but to submit a claim anyway with a letter from NCL describing what happened (i already obtained the letter).

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation who can provide some insight on how (or if) they were successful receiving reimbursement from either a travel insurer or NCL?

We're obviously upset over this since we feel we played it safe (paid for insurance, booked flights with ample time before and after.) I'd appreciate constructive responses only.

Thanks in advance.

--Matt

Matt.. honestly without us knowing the exact policy you purchased it is hard for anyone to respond with an appropriate answer. Travel Insurance policies vary a lot. I would do as as Travel Guard suggested. That is the insurance company we have always used. I will say that if they got you air flights for $1200.00 for tomorrow morning, they didn't do that much to help you. I just pulled up Southwest Airlines and they have one way flights from NOLA to Washington DC for less than $400 PP for tomorrow morning.. and they do not charge baggage fees.

I'm sorry this had to happen on your vacation. I hope the ill pax is ok and I hope you have safe travels back to your home.

Hi,icon7.gif

Some years back we were late getting to our flight in Miami due to Immigration taking so long to disembark European travelers.

We had our own travel insurance but had booked our flights through NCL. I phoned NCL from the airport when I realized we missed the flight. They rebooked us the next day out of Miami airport (we were at FL airport), booked us a hotel near the airport, and arranged taxi to that airport. They also covered our meals.

We never used our travel insurance. Since we had booked our flight with them they were responsible for us getting back home. I saved the receipts for the meals and mailed them when we got home.

I have a cruise coming up in May. I purchased NCL's premium ins as we don't have the private travel insurance anymore but I booked my own air. This is the first time in 19 cruises that I booked my own air but there was a big difference in price. But, I suppose there is probably a good reason for it. This time they will not be responsible for me to get home but I did take out "On your way" insurance from Air Canada which will help us in the event our original flights don't go well.

I would suggest that you send in the letter to your travel ins. and hope for the best.

Take care,

happytotravelicon7.gif

PLEASE post back whe you get information from Travelguard. We always buy insurance and I assumed that this would fall under the travel delay portion. I am sure many will be interested in your results. Hope you get back home in a timely manner, but TerryMex posted maybe not the most econimical way?

We use Travel Guard as well; I would think that if this is covered anywhere, it would be under the "trip delay" part of the insurance, though, as others have said, that will depend on the exact terms of the specific policy you purchased.

Last year, at the end of a 12-day Med cruise, our flight back from Barcelona to our home city on the East Coast of the U.S. was cancelled because of a mega-snow storm. We managed to get to another city in the U.S., stayed with relatives, and got home three days later when the trains started running again. Travel Guard paid for the additional transportation expenses that we incurred because of this. I realize that the situations are not identical, but I hope that the "trip delay" part of your coverage will kick in here.

I hope you had a great cruise (despite this hassle), and I hope that the passenger who had to be evacuated is okay.

Just to let you know, the passenger who was transported off the ship passed away. One of his family members posted that on another thread. It is so sad.

Yes, the gentleman was with our group of 200--it is very sad.

I'll be sure to report back with what happens.

Archived