POA skipping Kona

Kapuna

Thanks for letting us know Kapuna, can you keep us future POA cruisers updated please? Do you know how much damage the tsunami caused to the pier? I pray all the businesses that were affected are soon back on their feet.

The damage seems to be extensive to areas like the King Kam Hotel (where the car rentals are located), but it looks as if things are getting up and running faster than expected already. One poster on TA advises against going into the water near the bays for the next week or so due to bacteria that could bloom there, though. It also sounds as if the Place of Refuge will be closed for a week or more due to damage caused by the tsunami.

We cruise in May, so I am hoping things will be ok by then. I also hope the POA will be able to make their next scheduled stop there. The small businesses need the support.

The damage seems to be extensive to areas like the King Kam Hotel (where the car rentals are located), but it looks as if things are getting up and running faster than expected already. One poster on TA advises against going into the water near the bays for the next week or so due to bacteria that could bloom there, though. It also sounds as if the Place of Refuge will be closed for a week or more due to damage caused by the tsunami.

We cruise in May, so I am hoping things will be ok by then. I also hope the POA will be able to make their next scheduled stop there. The small businesses need the support.

Oh man I sure hope things are ok in 2 wks when we're there. We've got a snorkel excursion planned & I would hate to have to cancel it.:(

The pier in Kona is more like a dock. It is fairly small as docks go so it shouldn't take long to effect repairs. The business strip should recover quickly. Nothing motivates repair like loosing money! As to the water quality---nature will take care of itself. We have bio issues off our California waters all the time and they clear up in a few days. Kona is our favorite destination and it was hard seeing the vids of the water rushing in. Viva la Kona!!!!!!!!

Where did you see this? Not doubting....just wondering......

DS works on the POAm. Hopefully things will move faster than forecast and Kona is a stop again ASAP.

Will let you know if I hear anything different!

Check out Hawaii24/7.com

There is a fairly complete assessment damage report. The pier is still in question.

Clean up is happenning fast

Kapoho2 glad to hear u faired well on the Hilo side

There is debrie in the waters at Kealakekua Bay and Honunau(two step)

In Milolii,the subdivision did fine. There is some damage down in the village and our beloved Honomolino Beach sufferred major damage, not sure it will return.

Kona is returning to normal very quickly.

Good news!!!

Just read this evening that, although damaged, the pier in Kona is deemed safe enough to begin accepting cruise ship passengers!

That is great. Now I just need to hear that the all-clear is given for snorkeling there. We leave in 7 days now!

That is great. Now I just need to hear that the all-clear is given for snorkeling there. We leave in 7 days now!

GypRasc: This may be in bad "cruisecritic forum" form, but I see you've been on this thread more recently than one I just posted to. I saw that you were booked with Sea Quest for snorkeling. We are as well, but in early May. I've heard such disconcerting things about conditions at Keauhou Bay and am wondering if you've confirmed that Sea Quest is stil operational. Also of concern is the conditions of the reef. We've booked their 5 hours (3 snorkel site) tour and if the reefs are either unsafe, murky, etc. I'm not sure I want to spend the $$$. I've heard thru a forum on Trip Advisors that a few of the snorkel tour "offices" in this area are either damaged or gone -- but may still be operating. Have you heard anything at all? I figured I'd give them a few more days and may call. I noticed they did hit my credit card, immediately after the storm:rolleyes:

GypRasc: This may be in bad "cruisecritic forum" form, but I see you've been on this thread more recently than one I just posted to. I saw that you were booked with Sea Quest for snorkeling. We are as well, but in early May. I've heard such disconcerting things about conditions at Keauhou Bay and am wondering if you've confirmed that Sea Quest is stil operational. Also of concern is the conditions of the reef. We've booked their 5 hours (3 snorkel site) tour and if the reefs are either unsafe, murky, etc. I'm not sure I want to spend the $$$. I've heard thru a forum on Trip Advisors that a few of the snorkel tour "offices" in this area are either damaged or gone -- but may still be operating. Have you heard anything at all? I figured I'd give them a few more days and may call. I noticed they did hit my credit card, immediately after the storm:rolleyes:

I will try contacting them later today. I didn't want to call too soon as it may not be a matter of whether they're operational right now but whether they're given the go ahead within the next week or so. Anyway, I will contact them later today to find out what they have to say.

Just got the word from SeaQuest that they were back to work 2 days after the tsuanami. Apparently their check-in office near Keauhou Bay was destroyed but they are back to business as normal. If you have reservations you may want to check in with them as to the check-in process since the office was destroyed but other than that we're good to go!

Just got the word from SeaQuest that they were back to work 2 days after the tsuanami. Apparently their check-in office near Keauhou Bay was destroyed but they are back to business as normal. If you have reservations you may want to check in with them as to the check-in process since the office was destroyed but other than that we're good to go!

Excellent news! Thanks so much for checking with them. I look forward to hearing how your snorkel excursion goes. Have a great trip!:)

• 3 weeks later...

GypRasc,

How was your cruise? Hope you plan on enticing us with a review!

Am curious how your SeqQuest excursion went in Kona and how were the conditions of the bay/reef? Did you go on the 2 or 3 snorkel site tour?

Thanks,

Kris

GypRasc,

How was your cruise? Hope you plan on enticing us with a review!

Am curious how your SeqQuest excursion went in Kona and how were the conditions of the bay/reef? Did you go on the 2 or 3 snorkel site tour?

Thanks,

Kris

Well funmama I'm trying to write my review right now. Will have it posted hopefully tomorrow. BTW SeaQuest was awesome. The reef is absolutely beautiful & you would never know there had been a tsunami. We opted to do just the 1 snorkel site w/the tour of sea caves & lava tubes. We had a group of 6 & they offered to pick us up at the dock which went like clock-work. Our excursion was at 12:45 and we did not have to deal with a lot of other people at the reef. There were some, but not too many by any means. This was a really awesome experience.

Well funmama I'm trying to write my review right now. Will have it posted hopefully tomorrow. BTW SeaQuest was awesome. The reef is absolutely beautiful & you would never know there had been a tsunami. We opted to do just the 1 snorkel site w/the tour of sea caves & lava tubes. We had a group of 6 & they offered to pick us up at the dock which went like clock-work. Our excursion was at 12:45 and we did not have to deal with a lot of other people at the reef. There were some, but not too many by any means. This was a really awesome experience.

Very cool! I'm glad you had a great snorkel trip and I'm thrilled the reef was in great condition. That's nice that Sea Quest picked your group up at the dock -- that wasn't offered to me but perhaps because we only have 4 in our party. I may ask whether that's a possibility when I call to confirm;)

So looking forward to your review. We leave for Honolulu 4 weeks from today and I can't wait!!!

Thanks for your response!

Archived