Grand Turk Nathans Golf Carts

swimgirl1

We rented from Nathan's when we were in Grand Turk last year. We booked before the cruise to ensure that we would get one. The golf cart was a good way to get around on the very small island. But after driving for an hour and half or so - we'd been everywhere. There isn't that much to see on the island, so it's just the driving that is your outing.

Thats what i figured - we could drive around a bit - maybe stop a t a beach for a while then head back have lunch at Margarittavile and hit the beach

We rented from Nathan's when we were in Grand Turk last year. We booked before the cruise to ensure that we would get one. The golf cart was a good way to get around on the very small island. But after driving for an hour and half or so - we'd been everywhere. There isn't that much to see on the island, so it's just the driving that is your outing.

Thats what i figured - we could drive around a bit - maybe stop a t a beach for a while then head back have lunch at Margarittavile and hit the beach

Margariataville is surrounded by beaches. You do not need to rent a vehicle to get to a beach, merely walk 10 feet in either direction (or 1/2 mile in either direction, if you prefer).

• 1 month later...

Stay AWAY from this guy!!! We rented one golf cart from him last year, and it had no brakes at all, sputtered for minutes before finally starting, and then would overheat and quit running for several minutes and you would have to sit beside the road to let it cool down before starting the cycle again. Thought it may have been a fluke, so this year our large group rented 4 carts from him. Had the same or similar problems on all 4 carts this year. PLUS, after stopping at the lighthouse, one of the batteries was dead and we had to call and wait for him to come and exchange the battery. After stopping at the Sand Bar, ANOTHER cart had a dead battery, and we had to wait AGAIN!! The only maintenance these carts ever receive is when they are broken down on the side of the road. He was out of carts, so he swapped this one with a Jeep. When we finally came back to turn-in the carts, we were told that we would have ANOTHER charge added to the credit card because the fuel tank was not returned full. We explained that we had not had time to stop for fuel because of all of the waiting and two employees became very rude and said that was our problem. I asked to speak directly with the owner and the employees became very arrogant and laughed and refused. They said, "No problem, we have your credit card number". The employees are very nice when picking-up the carts but once they have your money, couldn't care less about service or the quality of the product they offer. These carts are DANGEROUS and will eventually get someone killed or seriously injured. As a minimum, I would not count on these carts to get you back to the ship in time to make your sailing. I am surprised that Carnival has not put these carts "Off Limits" to their passengers. Rent these carts at your own peril!!

oh geez...

Hate to read this...

Anyone have good experiences lately???

Plenty of positive reports in this thread.

Always wonder why folks don't post their complaints for a year.

We have rented from Nathan 2 times now. We will be in Grand Turk in August and plan to do the same. We love to drive--find a beach--go snorkle and repeat. We have never had any trouble with golf cart or jeep. Nathan seems to be an honest and easy going person. Again, never had any problems. We have also never met an unkind person on Grand Turk. Looking so forward to it again.

We were in Grand Turk last Monday and rented a golf cart from Nathan.

Very correct, friendly handling and the golf cart was fine. It was a fun way to see the small island and we got to swim at several beaches.

Next time we're in Grand Turk I will definitely rent from Nathan again.

In April we were supposed to dock in GT, but Carnival cancelled all visits to the island. I had 6 carts plus 1 jeep reserved with Nathan and he refunded my credit card for the full amount before I even had a chance to request this.

That's crazy I was there last Monday also on the breeze rented the jeep I would say go for the jeep I was passing golf carts left and right on the way to many scenic,deserted beachs. also its great to get away from the crowds, also my girls found so many conch,sand dollar,and sea urchin shells I only let them take a few of the best

This is the email I was successful with: nathanandlinda@tciway.tc

We rented from Nathan's in February and it was fun. We drove all over the place, drank beer, negotiated with donkeys on and off the road, were chased by dogs up to the lighthouse (they turned out to be friendly) and got into some cool places and beaches. It was worth the money.

Good story, at one point we pulled into a gas station and went in to get a beer- I asked the guy inside if it was OK to drive the cart and drink beer at the same time. He looked mystified and said, "Sure, can't you do this where you come from?" I said no and he said, "That's just wrong, man." Funny stuff.

The person who posted above about somebody eventually getting hurt or killed on one of these things sounded a somber note but one that should be heeded. If you have someone or two riding in the back seats facing the opposite way, they are in some obvious danger just from their position.

Couple that with the fact that the "seat belts", at least on our cart, were rusted and not functional and one had even been ripped off. The cart, with 4 people abourd, struggles up hills but can get going pretty good downhill, putting everyone at risk, especially unbelted passengers on the the back- be they rambunctious kids, drinking adults or unsteady anybodies.

It was fun, we split the 80- four ways so it was cheap, too. But, the caveat is that it is somewhat dangerous. Be forewarned and be careful.

Glad u had a good time!

We rented a cart for July - we will have 4 including 2 kids....i will be sure to have them forward facing..

This is the email I was successful with: nathanandlinda@tciway.tc

We rented from Nathan's in February and it was fun. We drove all over the place, drank beer, negotiated with donkeys on and off the road, were chased by dogs up to the lighthouse (they turned out to be friendly) and got into some cool places and beaches. It was worth the money.

Good story, at one point we pulled into a gas station and went in to get a beer- I asked the guy inside if it was OK to drive the cart and drink beer at the same time. He looked mystified and said, "Sure, can't you do this where you come from?" I said no and he said, "That's just wrong, man." Funny stuff.

The person who posted above about somebody eventually getting hurt or killed on one of these things sounded a somber note but one that should be heeded. If you have someone or two riding in the back seats facing the opposite way, they are in some obvious danger just from their position.

Couple that with the fact that the "seat belts", at least on our cart, were rusted and not functional and one had even been ripped off. The cart, with 4 people abourd, struggles up hills but can get going pretty good downhill, putting everyone at risk, especially unbelted passengers on the the back- be they rambunctious kids, drinking adults or unsteady anybodies.

It was fun, we split the 80- four ways so it was cheap, too. But, the caveat is that it is somewhat dangerous. Be forewarned and be careful.

The golf carts aren't set up that way. The two people in the front face forward while the two in the back must face backward, they don't have the option of facing forward.

It is dangerous as they aren't belted in- a good jolt from a pothole could jounce someone out. Just sayin'.

Again, we all had a great time and I hope you do too.

Michael

I'm not a fan of Nathan's carts. My experience is above, but I totally agree with Michael about the "upkeep" of the carts and jeep..... it leaves a lot to be desired. :rolleyes: If I had kids, I'd definitely put one kid up front with an adult and have the other adult with a firm hold on the child in the back. The roads are "weathered" and you've got to dodge donkeys and dogs, so be prepared for quick maneuvering. :)

At the lighthouse, if you walk beyond towards to ocean, watch your kids there too. I remember a steep cliff. I'm afraid of heights, so maybe it was a paranoid delusion, but I do have a "fear" memory of it. :eek::o

Your memory of the steep cliff is accurate. There is a fence (post and rail IIRC) there but you can walk around the end of it and the drop off the cliff is significant. I went to the fence, took the requisite picture and went back to the lighthouse.

Michael