Different last name a problem??

C-foxatsea

My kids and I will be on a Carnival cruise in July, with a stop in Cozumel. I'm not getting passports (I know many people think that is risky) but I have their birth certificates and my divorce papers. My question is, do I need more documentation than that because I took back my maiden name when I got divorced? I read somewhere on here that could be a problem. Is there a form with Carnival that needs to be notorized so I can take them with me? Ther are no restrictions in our papers regarding taking the kids out of the country. Thanks for any tips.

Yes. In order to leave the country with your children you need a signed NOTORIZED note from your ex stating you can take the children out of the country. This note must also have the correct dates on it. If their father has given up all rights you need to take the court document that states this fact. Do you have any documentation that states you changed your name? If so I would take that as proof. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yes. In order to leave the country with your children you need a signed NOTORIZED note from your ex stating you can take the children out of the country. This note must also have the correct dates on it. If their father has given up all rights you need to take the court document that states this fact. Do you have any documentation that states you changed your name? If so I would take that as proof. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I would agree with this statement.

http://travelwithkids.about.com/cs/carplanetips/a/crossborders.htm

In recent years, concern about parental abductions -- where one divorced parent steals the child away from the other -- has prompted border officials to be more cautious when they encounter a child traveling with just one birth parent.

If you're traveling as a solo parent with your child, or if the child is traveling with a grandparent or guardian, be aware of documentation an adult should be prepared to produce. At a minimum, the traveling parent should carry a letter of authorization from the absent parent, granting permission for the trip. It's quite likely that, for most countries, you won't be asked to show any travel consent letter -- but better safe than sorry, right? Which Countries Require Travel Consent Documents?

A good resource is the US Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs site section that lists the travel documents required by numerous countries around the world.

There's a good amount of information at that link.

We have a blended family of 5 kids...and we take our niece everywhere. So a total of 3 last names. I would not travel anywhere without a letter signed formt he other parent giving my husband and I permission to travelw ith kids....never needed it, but just in case....get that and you willbe fine!

I didn't need the letter for the cruise ship, but I did need the letter for the airplane. Don't know why, but I did. I had the letter just in case.

Nancy

Just a note that even though you weren't asked for it when boarding the cruise, you could have been. Many people aren't asked, but you always can be required to prove that you have the authority to take your children out of the country (or back into the US or other home country for that matter). Having the letter or other documentation is the only defense I know of to ensure that you won't have problems boarding or flying. I always figure Murphy's Law applies: The one time you don't bring what you need is the one time they will require you to have it. You were smart to have it just in case.

beachchick

here is a probably silly question. Both DH and I will be cruising with our DS. DS last name is the same as DH, i kept my maiden name. We all have passports. Would it be a problem boarding since my last name is different? Should i bring a copy of his birth certificate? THanks,

here is a probably silly question. Both DH and I will be cruising with our DS. DS last name is the same as DH, i kept my maiden name. We all have passports. Would it be a problem boarding since my last name is different? Should i bring a copy of his birth certificate? THanks,

I would, and that is our plan. Also, it's a good idea to do notarized letters giving the other permission to travel with the child in case something happens in which only one spouse ends up traveling with the child, or as a just in case when going into ports and one stays on board while the other tours.

The way I see it, a couple of docs folded in your bag aren't a big deal - getting stuck trying to convince some official you're not kidnapping is a big deal.

What if she was married before the kids were born?

Doesn't matter; every birth certificate I've seen lists the mother's birth name.

OP - there is no need to bring your divorce papers. All you need is the notarized permission to travel letter and the original birth certificate.

Hubby & I just took 6 grandkids on a cruise (4 different last names) -- 1 child had a passport, rest had birth certificates. I had 3 teens drivers licenses with their BC. Also had notarized permission letters from each parent which the cruise line copied at checkin.

Here is my permission letter form:

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date: ___________

WE (name of parents) authorize OUR 3 MINOR CHILDREN (names of children) to travel from (date leaving home) to (date returning home) with THEIR GRANDPARENTS (our names)

• BY CAR to FT. LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA AND

• BY CRUISE SHIP HOLLAND AMERICA’s WESTERDAM from/to FT.LAUDERDALE, FL with stops at (1) GRAND TURK (2) SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO (3) ST. MAARTEN (4) HALF MOON CAY, BAHAMAS AND

• BY CAR FROM FT. LAUDERDALE, FL BACK TO _________ TN.

AND to participate in following activities:

(1) SWIMMING POOLS and OTHER ACTIVITIES on the cruise ship,

(2) EXCURSION at SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO,

(3) RHINO RIDERS at ST. MAARTEN

(4) MARGARITAVILLE at GRAND TURK

(5) HALF MOON CAY PRIVATE ISLAND

(6) Other appropriate activities that my parents would organize and approve of.

In addition, We authorize (OUR NAMES) to consent to any necessary ROUTINE OR EMERGENCY MEDICAL TREATMENT for any of our 3 children during the aforementioned trip.

SIGNED:____________________________ (Parents sign here) Add Parents Address and Parents Phone numbers

NOTARIZATION SECTION: (Use appropriate language for your state)

STATE OF ________ ________County

Sworn To & Signed Before Me, A NOTARY PUBLIC, On This the ___ Day of ____________, 2011.

SIGNED: (Notary Public Signature) Notary will place his/her Seal

Notary will state date his/her commission expires.

Archived