Documents

clintnj

A US citizen on a closed loop Alaskan cruise departing from a US port such as Seattle doesn't need a passport. An original or certified copy of your birth certificate (government-issued, not a hospital certificate) plus a government issued photo ID such as a drivers license will suffice. Please note that a passport would be required if you had to return to the US by land or air in the event of an emergency from whatever Canadian port your cruise is visiting. Also note that some luxury cruise lines impose a passport requirement even though the governments of the US and Canada do not. The large mass market cruise lines just follow the government requirements.

It'll probably just be easiest for you to use your birth certificate and driver's license. However, if you cruise a lot, you can apply for an enhanced driver's license (if they offer it in your state). I got one for my last cruise so I wouldn't have to take my birth certificate with me and it's great. It just looks like and serves as a regular driver's license except it allows you to travel to Mexico, Bermuda and The Caribbean without having a passport or using both your driver's license and birth certificate. It was $40 and well worth it!

Archived