First night on cruise, what to wear ?

dimem

The first night of our cruise, we are going to Qsine. I know my husband will be wearing shorts and a polo when we board. If we do not get our luggage, is that ok to wear to dinner? Now I know you all are going to tell me to carry a change of clothes in a carry-on, but we are flying Spirit and they charge you for carry-ons. So is shorts ok, or should I have him wear long pants?

I always hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Most people say that the first night is pretty loose due to people not having their luggage yet, but if you want to follow the requested code for your venue then have him dress in smart casual for traveling. But since you already know that he will be wearing shorts and a polo then I guess you want to know if that is okay to wear the first night. Probably yes.

I have also seen diners turned away for wearing shorts, even on the first night. The best advice is to bring a pair of khakis or chinos or the like for the first night. They charge for a "carry-on" like a rollaboard, but if you bring a large tote bag that could pass for a purse, you can carefully roll a pair of slacks in it and not be charged. Or, change your reservation at Qsine to another night.

My dh always wears khakis or other casual slacks boarding the ship. That way he's set in case luggage is a little slow to get to the room. Altho we have always had our bags delivered by 5 at the latest. In time in case he had to change.

If you have no connecting flights, chances of the luggage not getting to the ship is very slim. I've seen a man enter the MDR wearing shorts on the first night, after a discussion with the maitre d re his luggage not being onboard. Now that would be a reason to let him in wearing shorts.

Dinner in the restuarnats is "smart casual". That doesn't include shorts. Shorts work in the buffet and outdoor grill tho.

If the pants are in the suitcase, I'd sure ask/suggest him to slip them on for dinner.

If I were you, there is NO WAY I would pay extra with a carry-on just to make sure you pass the all-mighty dress code. If you need a carry-on for medication, or something like that anyway, then I would stick a pair of jeans in there (if it was me), but I wouldn't give an airline any more income from hidden-fees solely for that reason.

If X really is that strict about the dress code on the first night, you can always complain about them taking too long with your luggage, and they will probably switch your reservation to another night.

There all kinds of ways of having your shorts and also meeting the MDR request of wearing pants:

You can always wear what I take with me: a set of pants that have zip on/off legs. I have shorts and then, zip, I have pants! Works great. Allows me to go around in shorts and then 'change' to pants as/when needed, such as on tours when I need leg protection, or into a church tour and so on, and of course, aboard ship to go into dinner and so on. Heck, my zip pants have a 'built-in' so I can use them as a swimsuit, shorts And pants!

Neat stuff.

Or, If your airline charges you for carry-ons, I'd assume you have at least some small bag you take on free, and I'd have a pair stashed away there. If shorts are important for you on the 1st day, wear pants and stash your shorts in a pocket and change then. I'd assume shorts aren't a must for your husband walking around in airports and on flights.

Den

If you have to wait for luggage for a couple days when you hit a port, then you would see the maitre d who would "allow" for the entrance. And also will make note to see that the location of your bags is underway.

But that is why travelers mix clothes in each other's bags so if one bag goes missing, you still have clothes for a couple days of vacation. Or.. why cruisers wear an outfit boarding the ship that will meet the minimum for dining. I pack a bathing suit in my carryon as well as a pair of light nylon shorts and tank. They weigh next to nothing and can be scrunched in a very small space. Then wear capris on the ship with a nice top. I'm set for at least the first 2-3 days of the cruise if all bags are lost. DH wears slacks boarding and also throws his cargo type solid swim trunks with tshirt in his carry on and he too is set . Pool, port and dinner are all covered. No worries.

Planning a bit ahead for the unforeseen is easier than making excuses for wearing the same travel shorts and shirt for 48 hours.:rolleyes:

Guess we will roll a pair of pants and put them in the very small allowable bag. I told my husband he had to carry a purse :) Spirit is horrible at fees, only allows 40# per 1st bag that you pay $28 to check. They charge to get a seat selection $10! In think they probably charge for use of the bathroom and maybe the air in the cabin too.

Guess we will roll a pair of pants and put them in the very small allowable bag. I told my husband he had to carry a purse :) Spirit is horrible at fees, only allows 40# per 1st bag that you pay $28 to check. They charge to get a seat selection $10! In think they probably charge for use of the bathroom and maybe the air in the cabin too.

But did you book with them for a lower fare? We avoid those because often the restrictions and add-ons come close to or are even more than a good flight on another airline. Can your husband carry a smallish back pack? You can jam a whole lot in those and they are great for excursions.

Have a great cruise!!!

Why not wear the pants & roll the shorts? He can change into them once you get to the ship, and hang the pants in the closet to change back into for dinner in the event luggage hasn't arrived yet.

The first night of our cruise, we are going to Qsine. I know my husband will be wearing shorts and a polo when we board. If we do not get our luggage, is that ok to wear to dinner? Now I know you all are going to tell me to carry a change of clothes in a carry-on, but we are flying Spirit and they charge you for carry-ons. So is shorts ok, or should I have him wear long pants?

I hear your pain re: Spirit's ridiculous charges for carry-ons. But having said that, I'd err on the side of caution and have DH wear a lightweight pair of slacks and polo for boarding. This way, in case he doesn't get his luggage he's okay for Qsine. You will probably get your luggage, but you just never know.

BTW, enjoy Qsine. I hope you're going with others. It's a ton of food for just two people!

Archived