Splendor Embarkation

RedRover96

I know when there are delays with embarkation issues in Long Beach, it’s like a divorce, each party blames the other (CCL vs. Feds). The general read is there are more times with long waits :mad: vs. hey, that was smooth :D. I have read many trip reports, some say get there early, others just before sailing. However, I have not found a specific tread dealing with this issue. Therefore what’s the past Splendor passengers ideas, go early, go late.

RedRover96

Splendor 6/26

Hi Redrover96, when I cruised the Splendor last July with my family it was a relatively quick embarkation. We originally walked over to the Queen Mary but could not find the "quick check-in". However, Carnival had multiple tables set up outside the dome where they were doing the check-in (room keys, etc.). We got to the pier at about 10:30 am, stood in line for maybe 20 mins and was checked in. We were boarding the ship by 12:30. Hope this helps.

We arrived at the terminal about 12:30pm and were onboard about 1:30pm. That was standing in line waiting to get checked in and then getting on her. Seemed smooth to me. When we debarked there were people waiting at 9:15am to check in........no thanks! Why wait around for that long. If you want to go early, check out the Queen Mary! We toured her the day before and she was awesome!!!

We got there last year around 9:30 and got zone 1 boarding.

We went over to the Queen Mary as an earlier poster suggeste. It was a very interesting tour.

Got back around 11 and were on around 11:30.

Queen Mary is early check in for the Paradise. Splendor has early check in in front of the Dome.

It is crowded getting thru the door (3 or 4 security checking) and then there are only two scanners for the carryons. There are many (20?) staions for checking in.

If you are VIP it is a big crapshoot. There are only 2 or 3 poeple doing the checking in. If one has a problem it can be a while. Once it took us longer to check in (and to the ship) as VIP than for our friends who weren't.

• 1 month later...

Bumping the thread, we're getting on this ship on Sunday! We live in Long Beach, so we can get there anytime, I was thinking the later the better.

What's the consensus of when to arrive and check-in? 12:30 sounds good to me, any more replies?

Queen Mary is early check in for the Paradise. Splendor has early check in in front of the Dome.

It is crowded getting thru the door (3 or 4 security checking) and then there are only two scanners for the carryons. There are many (20?) staions for checking in.

If you are VIP it is a big crapshoot. There are only 2 or 3 poeple doing the checking in. If one has a problem it can be a while. Once it took us longer to check in (and to the ship) as VIP than for our friends who weren't.

Do you know why the Paradise's is at the Queen Mary and the Splendor's is in front of the dome?

We're staying at the Hotel Maya, on Saturday. Considering going to port early Sunday to check in and get an early zone time.

Then return to Hotel, relax for awhile, check out, and take shuttle to port around 11:30.

Not sure if this will work just yet. :confused:

We're staying at the Hotel Maya, on Saturday. Considering going to port early Sunday to check in and get an early zone time.

Then return to Hotel, relax for awhile, check out, and take shuttle to port around 11:30.

Not sure if this will work just yet. :confused:

Ooohhhh, that sounds like a good plan. We are staying there too. I may just have the DH drives us over, check in, then go back like you said. Then take the shuttle over later. Only issue, is I want to sign up for the behind the fun tour, so I am willing to wait to get on board early. :). But this is sounding like a good plan.

Diana

Well we are a group of 12 with 4 small children.

We are talking about getting there early for that zone 1 ticket.

Now the Queen Mary tour is looking really good to me after that, and something we could have fun doing to kill time.

You will have to let us know how it goes for the next couple of weeks!:rolleyes:

Only issue, is I want to sign up for the behind the fun tour, so I am willing to wait to get on board early. :). But this is sounding like a good plan.

Diana

The Behind the Fun tour is what we'd like to do also.

I'm just not sure exactly what time they begin "Early Check-in".

I have read they begin boarding around 11:00 ish. I'm sure that depends on how smooth the turn around time is progressing.

Please come back after your cruise and let us know. :)

I will let everyone know. I can't believe it's almost my turn to go. :D. I can hardly wait. I think I will go over about 9-9:30ish to check in, then go back to the hotel for a while, then go back around 11ish. If they have the delays they have had on disembarking...may still have to wait a while, but I'm okay with that. :rolleyes: I'm hoping for a quick easy disembarking for the previous cruise...so I can get on asap!

It's funny...I'm going camping this weekend where I am doing all the cooking, then a few weeks later to the cruise, where I HAVE to do NOTHING! Oh...it's going to be nice. :p

Diana

I am eager to hear your replies as well! This is my first west coast cruise and I am not thrilled with all the negative postings. Florida seems to have all kinks worked out and every port we have sailed out of has been PERFECT! Fingers crossed for Long Beach. We are staying at the Maya too and maybe we will just have a lazy morning and then a Queen Mary tour and then board later.

We just did it a few weeks back. The problem is that folks leave the ship using the exact same route as those later entering. It was kind of interesting to see the Customs desks on our way in and the Mexican photo shoot area on our way out a week later.

We arrived around 10:00 via cab from our hotel over in Long Beach. Took us awhile to realize that early check-in was actually happening over on the Queen as there weren't any signs posted. This may have been somewhat unusual as no tables, etc. were set up outside because of relatively poor weather. Anyway, we ended up being Zone 5 but boarded the ship probably within 20-30 minutes of the VIPs who are the first onboard. So the difference between the zone 1 folks and us was really not material.

Much of the time between 10:00 and 12:30 (when we boarded) was spent hanging around outside on a cool, misty morning. I much prefer Ft. Lauderdale where seats inside actually make the experience more comfortable. That said, our strategy proved smart as the very long lines started to form for check-in at the Queen around 11 am. Might have topped out at 1,000 folks. Glad I had that in my rearview mirror as we had done the Queen check-in in all of 10 minutes just 30-45 minutes earlier. Later we were up on Lido (after boarding) and still saw the line outside simply waiting for their sign/sail card at Queen.

I'm leaving Sunday & as I mentioned in an earlier post, live in Long Beach. So it sounds like we need to check-in early to get on the ship with minimal waiting. What time can I check in the earliest and does everyone going on the cruise have to be there for check-in (I'm assuming yes)?

I guess we could check-in, get our Zone #, leave to have breakfast, etc. and come back for boarding when it begins?

Hi Redrover96, when I cruised the Splendor last July with my family it was a relatively quick embarkation. We originally walked over to the Queen Mary but could not find the "quick check-in". However, Carnival had multiple tables set up outside the dome where they were doing the check-in (room keys, etc.). We got to the pier at about 10:30 am, stood in line for maybe 20 mins and was checked in. We were boarding the ship by 12:30. Hope this helps.

Hi Fellow Las Vegan, we are going in June and staying at the Hotel Maya. I think we will take the shuttle over around 12:30. We've never had to stand in line longer than an hour at Long Beach. I'll be sure and post how long it took when I get back.

Hey Yellowbird,

fancy meeting you here, we'll probably meet here at checkin as well as the lido deck after launch party. I'm aiming for the seven of us to be there between 10:30-11:00 am. from what I'm reading we should head to the Queen mary for check-in ? Anyway look for a motley crew of seven and even money it'll be us :p, say hello and maybe we could check in together.

Mark

When we sailed out of Long Beach in Sept '09 we got to port about 12:00. We waited maybe a half hour/ fourty five mins tops to get through security and get on board the ship. It seemed pretty smooth sailing when we got there. I think the biggest thing was the groups of people they were taking pictures of as you were walking on the boat. We went through the first set of pictures downstairs and then went upstairs to get on the ship and it just seemed like an aweful place to take a picture IMHO. Other than that I had no issues with check in.

We just got off the ship Sunday. We were on the april 10th cruise. We stayed at the Queen Mary. We went over and checked in at 9:30 in front of the dome and got zone one. They knew they were late so they said to be back at noon. We started to board at 12:30 and were eating lunch on the lido at 12:50. They only do early check in at the Queen Mary if the weather is bad. We wanted zone one so we could get the behind the fun tour.

Ok as you seasoned Carnival travelers have always said, go with the flow. Well my thoughts have been rearranged. Long story short, our son is engaged to a great California girl and we have never met her parents, we’re from NC. It has been suggested that instead of driving up early Sunday from San Diego that we drive a couple hours north of LA Friday after we fly in to San Diego and spend the weekend meeting her parents.

So now my thought pattern has changed from arriving early Sunday or even spending the night on the Queen Mary Saturday night, to driving down Sunday, arriving mid-afternoon. To miss the middle day embarkation crowds what time is good to arrive and not be a “pier runner” before we even get aboard?

RedRover96

We were on the april 10th cruise. We stayed at the Queen Mary. We went over and checked in at 9:30 in front of the dome and got zone one. They knew they were late so they said to be back at noon. We started to board at 12:30 and were eating lunch on the lido at 12:50. They only do early check in at the Queen Mary if the weather is bad.

This is the info I was needing! Thanks Koiman!

That seems like a fast turn around. My docs state "Arrive in LB at 9:00AM".

Can they really get everyone and their baggage off the ship that fast?

On past cruises, RCCL out of San Pedro, we were still waiting to disembark at 9:00 when ship was docked at 7:00. :confused:

Archived