Talk to me about pre-cruise hotels: Port of Miami

stargazertechie

So I called off my wedding yesterday, and my Maid of Honor and I are seriously considering a cruise the 2nd week of April, because I need to get away from the drama and just relax with the girls.

Please recommend your pre-cruise hotel of choice. Free airport/cruise port transfers are preferred.

Thanks!

Flying into MIA? :confused: Here are your options:

• Stay near the airport. Free airport shuttles, and most hotels can arrange for a shuttle to the port of Miami (POM) for about $10 each, or you can cab it for under $30 including the tip. Look at Embassy Suites MIA and hotels in the Blue Lagoon area near MIA (Homewood Suites, Sofitel, Hampton Inn and others). There are shopping and dining options within walking distance of Blue Lagoon hotels.
  • Stay downtown near POM. Some rooms may offer a view of POM - a great way to start your day. :cool: Some enjoy Bayside Market (I do not :(); a cab from MIA will cost about $25, and another $10-12 cab ride will get you to POM. Check out the Doubletree, Marriott, Hyatt and Intercontinental.
  • Stay in Miami Beach - the "Miami" you see on TV and the movies. Hotels here are older and tend to have smaller rooms and to be more expensive, but the dining, nightlife, people watching and beach make up for it! :D A cab from MIA will cost about $32 and another $15 for the taxi to POM the next day. Check out Blue Heron's blog for more suggestions: http://blueheronsmiamiinformation.blogspot.com/

Sounds like you might be better off partying and chilling in Miami Beach. Good luck! :)

So I called off my wedding yesterday, and my Maid of Honor and I are seriously considering a cruise the 2nd week of April, because I need to get away from the drama and just relax with the girls.

Please recommend your pre-cruise hotel of choice. Free airport/cruise port transfers are preferred.

Thanks!

Good lord you don't need to stay downtown or at the airport! Head to South Beach!!!

You can ride the Airport Flyer from the airport for $2.35 each and then a cab to the port from South Beach will run you $20.

Forget Bayside, head to The Delano, Mansion, Plunge at Gansavoort, Sky Bar, etc.

Holiday Inn Port of Miami..........you are right across from Bayside Marketplace.....nice place for dinner and drinks the night before a cruise! Taxi to the port is about $10.00.

I liked it there too, and I also enjoy baysiside market for a few hours day before cruise. I know, have heard all the negatives before about Hol Inn POM and Bayside, but I still like them both.:)

Blue Herons - GREAT PHOTOS! :D What hotel(s)?

John, that is the rooftop bar Plunge at the Gansavoort. The bathrooms are amazing.

They are like high school locker room bathrooms but completely outside.

If you look at the night time photo, you can see that the views of Miami and downtown are insanely beautiful. The photos really dont' do it justice.

I can't understand why anyone would want to go to Bayside when they can hand out at the above.

We have had very good luck by bidding on Priceline and getting a good hotel (Marriott Biscayne Bay, Hilton Downtown etc.) for less than $100. Great views of the port and close to Bayside Marketplace, American Airlines Arena etc.

Hi there :)

I heard from some previous cruisers that there are some hotels in Miami that, if you stay there pre cruise, allow you to park there, sail for the week, and then pick up your car. I'm driving from North Carolina, and would live to find something like that, rather than pay at the POM for the same parking that has gotten my car broken into, two times in the past!!

I heard from some previous cruisers that there are some hotels in Miami that, if you stay there pre cruise, allow you to park there, sail for the week, and then pick up your car. I'm driving from North Carolina, and would live to find something like that, rather than pay at the POM for the same parking that has gotten my car broken into, two times in the past!!

Parking at POM costs $20/day and is covered, convenient and generally very secure - yours is the first report I have heard of on these boards of cars at POM being broken into. :confused:

You can search www.parksleepfly.com for hotels offering cruise parking deals in either Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Most will be out near the airports as oceanfront hotels (as well as downtown Miami hotels) charge $25-30+/day for parking.

In Miami security of your car at the hotel parking lot would be more of a concern to me than at POM.:( The MIA Embassy Suites and both the Hampton Inn & Homewood Suites in the Blue Lagoon area have been suggested on these boards for cruise parking deals - La Quinta East, near the Embassy Suites, is another hotel often mentioned.

If a free shuttle to/from POM is not included (it usually is not) then plan on spending roughly $50-60 for round trip cab fare from MIA area hotels. If you choose to park near FLL you can shuttle with SAS (www.ridesas.com) for about $15 per person each way. Good luck! :)

Try the La Quinta Inn Airport East. We did that and the hotel cost was slight less than $90 and it included both parking for the week and a shuttle to POM. So all that and it was still cheaper than paying to park at the POM. We were a tad worried about leaving our brand new car unattented by us for a week but it turned out great. I believe we will be staying there for our second Annual trip this September.

Good lord you don't need to stay downtown or at the airport! Head to South Beach!!!

You can ride the Airport Flyer from the airport for $2.35 each and then a cab to the port from South Beach will run you $20.

Forget Bayside, head to The Delano, Mansion, Plunge at Gansavoort, Sky Bar, etc.

I'm guessing that if the OP is looking for free shuttles to and from the hotel, The Delano and Gansavoort are not in their price range!!!

I would recommend Intercontinental Hotel downtown. They can always take a taxi to South Beach to party, and the IC has a really nice spa. Check out lastminutetravel.com and you should find very good pricing. Check out Miami downtown 5 star hotels and IC is listed for $171 (I'm basing that on a Friday night the second week of April).

I liked it there too, and I also enjoy baysiside market for a few hours day before cruise. I know, have heard all the negatives before about Hol Inn POM and Bayside, but I still like them both.:)

Maybe it's an Ontario thing!!! :p

I like Bayside but the HI POM is an overpriced dump.

Try the La Quinta Inn Airport East. We did that and the hotel cost was slight less than $90 and it included both parking for the week and a shuttle to POM. So all that and it was still cheaper than paying to park at the POM. We were a tad worried about leaving our brand new car unattented by us for a week but it turned out great. I believe we will be staying there for our second Annual trip this September.

Thank you Katty :)

We'll be driving from NC, and I'm just looking for hassel free :) I'll try the La Quinta Inn Airport East.

I'm guessing that if the OP is looking for free shuttles to and from the hotel, The Delano and Gansavoort are not in their price range!!!

I would recommend Intercontinental Hotel downtown. They can always take a taxi to South Beach to party, and the IC has a really nice spa. Check out lastminutetravel.com and you should find very good pricing. Check out Miami downtown 5 star hotels and IC is listed for $171 (I'm basing that on a Friday night the second week of April).

A cab there and back will run them $50 and $171 is a lot to pay for a downtown hotel. They can stay South Beach cheaper and not have to pay for a cab.

BlueHerons I am looking for a hotel in Miami beach for Sept 10th one night.

We will be spending two night in FLL that's a done deal bid on Priceline already. Here is the situation I have 2 - 21yrs olds (couple) and 2 - 25 yrs olds(single females) that like to party. This is their first time in Miami. I have been researching hotels in the Miami Beach area and understand that these hotels are older and more expensive. I would prefer not to spend over $150 a night per room. I've looked at Essex House only they will not book for only one night till we are within a week of arriving. We even are considering the Ocean Reef even though they have bad reviews since a friend of ours stayed there and said it really was not that bad. Any suggestions?

BlueHerons I am looking for a hotel in Miami beach for Sept 10th one night.

We will be spending two night in FLL that's a done deal bid on Priceline already. Here is the situation I have 2 - 21yrs olds (couple) and 2 - 25 yrs olds(single females) that like to party. This is their first time in Miami. I have been researching hotels in the Miami Beach area and understand that these hotels are older and more expensive. I would prefer not to spend over $150 a night per room. I've looked at Essex House only they will not book for only one night till we are within a week of arriving. We even are considering the Ocean Reef even though they have bad reviews since a friend of ours stayed there and said it really was not that bad. Any suggestions?

I would take a look at The South Seas Hotel. Also, Oyster (http://www.Oyster.com ) does an excellent job and they have a list of reasonable South Beach Hotels.

http://www.oyster.com/miami/hotels/roundups/best-values/

Hey Blue: I am now researching for next February.

Embassy Suites in Miami is going for 199 plus (stuff)

there gotta be a better way.

how much is the hotels listed above

Your dates are what is killing you. Peak week in peak season.

I just found a three star in South Beach for your dates for $95. If you don't mind booking that, I'd jump all over it.

Otherwise I would book a back up you can cancel and start stalking the discount sites in late summer and then right before you go.

Your dates are what is killing you. Peak week in peak season.

I just found a three star in South Beach for your dates for $95. If you don't mind booking that, I'd jump all over it.

Otherwise I would book a back up you can cancel and start stalking the discount sites in late summer and then right before you go.

Its not even presidents week yet either-- We cruise for valentines week.

Now I shudder on the thought of airfare

Could I have the name of that hotel?

A cab there and back will run them $50 and $171 is a lot to pay for a downtown hotel. They can stay South Beach cheaper and not have to pay for a cab.

You think $171/night is a lot to pay for Intercontinental Hotel at Chopin Plaza? Especially since it's still spring break time? I respectfully disagree....

Archived