Baby on board

globalwife

How young is too young (assuming the cruise line allows it)? We have been booked for a cruise that we are very excited about for my husband's 40th b-day, but now we are expecting a little one. The little one will be about 4 months when we cruise. Is it ridiculous for us to even think about taking him/her along? It is actually on a ship we have been on and are familiar with. It is a 7 night cruise. There is a port of call all days except for one. We love traveling and are sure the baby will be a world traveler but just are not sure if we will be the worst parents in the world to even consider this one. Obviously I can still cancel and get 100% back but rebooking probably isn't a option. The rate we got was incredible and very few cruises leave from Colombia (where we live). The cruiseline is Pullmantur, by the way.

I believe most cruise lines won't allow babies under 6 months. At least, that's what we found! We had a great 4 night cruise with DS when he was 10 months, but it was far from relaxing. He was up early most mornings and our daily schedule revolved around his needs (nap, eating, etc.) I'm sure you'll enjoy traveling with your LO!

Your other restriction might be your location, unless you fly to an American port. Your area of the world, South America, is considered an exotic location, and therefore most lines put a minimum age of 12 months. I believe only Disney allows under 6 months but for every other mainstream line the minimum age is 6 months.

Thanks. Yeah, I know I need to find out the real policy directly from Pullmantur. I have found some sites in Spanish that state Pullmantur does not have a min age policy, but nothing official. I do know little ones less than 23 months don't pay anything, not even taxes. Luckily I still have lots of time to get it figured out and to think about if it is what we want to do.

I did just find a legit link on my travel agents website that states the policy and there is no age minimum with Pullmantur. So it is an option for us, just not sure if we should do it. I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has taken a small baby on board.

Cruising with a small baby is no different than any trip involving being away from home at a hotel. However, I consider cruise ships floating resorts ;)

The good thing about babies that small is that if you are breastfeeding, you don't need to worry about food. Both my boys were breastfed, so I can't give you any tips on travelling with a bottle fed baby.

At 4 months, other than having a place for baby to sleep and a way of transporting baby around during the day, they are quite low maintenance. A baby carrier (sling, structured carrier etc) and a stroller would likely do it. My main concern would be having enough diapers and clothes, as when we travelled with the boys at that age they seemed to spit up/blow out diapers more often than at home. I did learn to pack some baby laundry detergent, which is helpful.

The other thing is that babies that age are not supposed to be exposed to direct sunlight, nor wear sunscreen (at least these are the Canadian recommendations). I would consider how you normally spend your time on a cruise and how you might accomodate an infant. Is there child care available on board? How will you manage naps? Some babies will sleep on the go, others need quiet. Being stuck in the cabin for several hours at a time several times a day can get boring fast. We book balcony cabins for this reason, as we both like to sit out on the balcony reading while the baby sleeps. However, this would drive other people nuts.

Honestly, I would do it, but I'm fairly adventurous.

I did just find a legit link on my travel agents website that states the policy and there is no age minimum with Pullmantur. So it is an option for us, just not sure if we should do it. I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has taken a small baby on board.

While my 2 year olds first cruise won't be until May I have taken him on a 4 week European adventure and on 3 trips to Malaysia. Everyone said I was mad to do so. It is harder and not as relaxing as I would have liked but I still enjoyed myself. I think you just have to realise that it is more restricting and a baby is always going to be hard work whether your at home or on holiday - but it can also still be enjoyable. We are taking our 2 year old on an Alaskan cruise which is a 16 hour time difference from where we live and about 21 hours of flying time not taking into account the various waits for connecting flights and obviously I wouldn't be doing it if I though we wouldn't have a good time.

Our eldest was 6 mos old when we went on our first cruise. Being newbies, (and a bit sleep deprived) we didn't realize when we booked it that the flight was going to be 5 hours long (or is that 5 long hours :eek:) with our baby in our lap.

Our son has been pretty easy going from the get go; had he been a screamer, I may have stayed home, but you don't know if you are going to get an easy going baby or one that is high mainteneance until they arrive. As well, colic, if it rears it's ugly head, usually appears around 3 months of age. The key is to remain flexible. I would plan to go, but be prepared to back out if parenthood is more challenging than you originally thought. There is no shame in canceling, you have to do what is right for you and your family. For me, I was going through cabin fever and needed to go somewhere warm to escape from a cold Canadian winter inorder to save my sanity.

In addition to packing lots of clothes (thank goodness they are small), lots of diapers and receiving blankets; I would also take an infant medicine kit including an infant thermometer; your go to baby book so that you can double check if the new behavour is normal or something to be concerned about; and your dr. or pediatrician's phone number. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist about what infant medications you should take along including the possibility of antibiotics, just in case the are needed. Infant medications may not be available on the ship if they are needed, but if the onboard Dr. perscribes it, then at least you have it and you don't have to divide adult meds or wait until you get into the next port.

I too highly recommend breast feeding, especially when travelling. At four months of age, you won't need to take jars of baby food.

You don't need to bring a lot of toys, we took what ever fit into a large ziploc bag. There is a lot for a baby to look at and be entertained by on a ship. Babies at this age are quite portable and it can be a great age to travel. Keep us posted as to what you decide.

Hope this helps,

N.

How young is too young (assuming the cruise line allows it)? We have been booked for a cruise that we are very excited about for my husband's 40th b-day, but now we are expecting a little one. The little one will be about 4 months when we cruise. Is it ridiculous for us to even think about taking him/her along? It is actually on a ship we have been on and are familiar with. It is a 7 night cruise. There is a port of call all days except for one. We love traveling and are sure the baby will be a world traveler but just are not sure if we will be the worst parents in the world to even consider this one. Obviously I can still cancel and get 100% back but rebooking probably isn't a option. The rate we got was incredible and very few cruises leave from Colombia (where we live). The cruiseline is Pullmantur, by the way.

Assuming the baby is pretty easy going (who knows until it arrives?) my wife and I think it is easier to travel when they are very little. They tend to sleep a lot (at least ours did) and they are easier to tote around.

I'm not sure this will be a relaxing vacation or anything, but very doable if the cruise line allows it.

we started cruising with our kids at 7 months and 8 months of age. It is defintely a different kind of vacation but also a very enjoyable way to travel. there wont be hours of lounging in the sun, long meals enjoying adult conversation, being able to do whatever you want whenever you want etc etc etc. You will still be responsible for your infant 24/7 which is very demanding and requires long hours but all your meals are cooked, cabin cleaned, everything in close proximity, cabin available all day, entertainment available and if one of you goes back to the cabin with baby, it doesnt "ruin" everyone else's time since the other is still free to do whatever they want. If you can spring for a balcony cabin, you can enjoy drinks or dinner there while baby sleeps. Take turns so each of you gets some time to yourselves and just go with the flow. Dont set too high of expectations and be flexible in your plans.

We took ours at 7 months and it was great. No late shows and no long dinners, but that wasn't a big deal to us. That said, we had an 8-day / 7-ports cruise booked before we got pregnant. We didn't see the point of looking at the 7 ports from deck, or subjecting the babies to a flight from TX to San Juan. We cancelled that (even though we were with a large group of family and friends) and booked one out of Galveston.

As far as cost, don't forget that you'll have to add the LO to the reservation after they are born. I don't know any way to do it w/o knowing the birthdate. That could cost a chunk of change... depending on the timing and the cruise line.

Also, it seems like you will you need a passport for the LO given that you are U.S. residents. By the time we got the SSID, dealt with the USPS, and actually got the passports it was at least 10 weeks. Being remote, 4 months might be cutting it a bit close. Or perhaps you can just pop over to the consulate and get it done easily. Something to consider anyway...

That said.... congratulations!

IMO it all depends on your baby's temperment which you won't know until he/she is born. My first two babies weren't good travelers at all. They didn't sleep well at night and were often fussy in the day. With the first I was obviously a new mom and had trouble breastfeeding discreetly. Also, I was anxious about my baby fussing in public and me not knowing exactly how to settle him. My 3rd and 4th babies have been awesome. They each have been good sleepers and nursing them has been a breeze. They both have very positive temperments so I could travel anywhere with them. This may partly be due to the fact that DH and I are confident in our parenting now that we've been through the infant stage a few times. We traveled to Florida and Vegas with our third when he was under 6 mos and found it an awesome time to travel. Under 6 mos the baby will often sleep easily in bucket car seat or stroller which makes him/her quite portable and flexible to your schedule. After about 7 mos they tend to need routine more and don't sleep on the fly as easily. We will be cruising with our 7 mos old in 2 weeks. She is such an easy baby though that I don't expect much difficulty. She may however decide to crank out a tooth that week which could be an added snag, but we'll manage I'm sure.

We took ours at 7 months and it was great. No late shows and no long dinners, but that wasn't a big deal to us. That said, we had an 8-day / 7-ports cruise booked before we got pregnant. We didn't see the point of looking at the 7 ports from deck, or subjecting the babies to a flight from TX to San Juan. We cancelled that (even though we were with a large group of family and friends) and booked one out of Galveston.

As far as cost, don't forget that you'll have to add the LO to the reservation after they are born. I don't know any way to do it w/o knowing the birthdate. That could cost a chunk of change... depending on the timing and the cruise line.

Also, it seems like you will you need a passport for the LO given that you are U.S. residents. By the time we got the SSID, dealt with the USPS, and actually got the passports it was at least 10 weeks. Being remote, 4 months might be cutting it a bit close. Or perhaps you can just pop over to the consulate and get it done easily. Something to consider anyway...

That said.... congratulations!

Most cruise lines actually allow booking a "Baby Smith" with open birthdate and then fill in the correct information after the baby is born.

beachchick

8M for our DD (now 15YO:eek:) -- she is a great traveler and always has been. I brought her front pack and the backpack. We did do some late-ish :) night activities while she was sleeping in the front pack, we always positioned ourselves so we could beat a hasty retreat if needed, but never did. We didn't push it too much.

It was a great time for all of us. Very relaxing and some great time for all three of us to spend time together.

Big thanks everyone! I was scared that everyone was going to tell me I would be a horrible mother to even consider it. Assuming my pregnancy and birth go normal, I think we will be taking the little one along with us.

Archived