Rental car from Fiumicino

kenfopa

We're thinking of renting a car at Rome's Fiumicino airport, driving to Florence and returning at Civitavecchia before our cruise. We've priced it out and it's more cost effective than taking the Loeonardo express to termini, then the train to Florence and back and then a train to the port. Also, we don't have to worry about transporting luggage between conveyances.

Are there any pitfalls to this idea?

We have driven this type of route many times, but as Euro says, the big pitfall is driving in and around Florence. When in Florence we usually stay at the Hotel David, which is more like an inn then a hotel. The advantage of the Hotel David is that you can approach it, when coming from the south, without going near the ZTL and the hotel also has something very rare in Florence....Free Parking. From this hotel you can walk along the river into the center of town (about a mile) or just grab the local bus across the street for the short ride. If you do book a hotel inside the ZTL (this is a limited driving zone) you need to have your hotel call the police (they do this after you arrive) with your car information..or you will get a nasty fine.

By the way, most of the rental car companies at FCO are located inside one of the parking garages (I can never remember which garage) which are connected to the terminals.

Hank

How long does it take to drive from Florence down to the Port? What route do you suggest? We are thinking of doing a similiar trip prior to our cruise in November. Also since that is not a busy tourist time of the year, I'm hoping traffic should'nt be as big an issue as Summer or Fall.

I've driven in Italy before. I know about the rules about driving in the historical center. We will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn outside the center and will leave the car there while we are visiting Florence.

To answer Bubba. Google maps has the time from Florence to Civitaveccia at a little over 3 hours. It says follow A1 to Attigliano then sp20 and some other roads, But you don't have to get close to Rome.

Google maps has the time from Florence to Civitaveccia at a little over 3 hours. It says follow A1 to Attigliano then sp20 and some other roads, But you don't have to get close to Rome.

If you're not in a hurry and are interested in a change of pace, you could route through Montalcino and stop just south of there to see the beautiful Sant Antimo abbey: http://www.antimo.it/pagine_en/00FRAME.html

Taking this "back" route adds about 50% more time, but it's really beautiful. The A1 is fast and functional, but not much for scenery.

You may want to consider turning in your car at Civitavecchia instead of going back to FCO. Hertz has a place just a short distance from the pier entrance.

Definitely go to Montepulciano, not far off the A-1...and as others mentioned, if you can get off the A-1 in Tuscany to see some of the smaller towns...Castellina in Chianti, Greve, etc, that would be great. The roads are good but will be slower going, of course, due to the curves and hills of the area!

Thanks for the info. Did plan on returning car at the port. Been looking a different car rental sites. Any recommendations?

Some car rental sites say an International Drivers license is required, others no mention. What has been your experience? I've driven in Ireland, France and Germany without one and had no problems.

Thanks for the info. Did plan on returning car at the port. Been looking a different car rental sites. Any recommendations?

Some car rental sites say an International Drivers license is required, others no mention. What has been your experience? I've driven in Ireland, France and Germany without one and had no problems.

I always start by checking autoeurope.com and kemwel.com. They generally require a three day minimum rental, which may not fit your plans. I did rent through Kemwel in Tuscany in October when I only wanted the car for two days because their three day rate was less than a two day rental direct from the rental company (europecar). I just called the rental office when I got to Tuscany and told them I wouldn't be picking the car up until a day later than contracted; they didn't care as it is all prepaid.

As for the IDP, you never need it until you need it. I've only ever been asked for it once in ten years of renting cars in Italy, but even then it wasn't required. If you get stopped and the officer doesn't speak English, you'll wish you had it. We had a fender bender in downtown Naples once and the guy we hit didn't speak English, but the IDP supported my limited Italian to get the relevant information communicated. My bottom line is that it is a small investment (about $20, and ten minutes at the AAA office) that I'd rather have with me and never need.

The GPS units rented in Italy are identical to units in the states (usually Garmin or TomTom). Of course you would want to make sure any rental unit is set for "English" before leaving the rental car dealer. We have driven over 10,000 miles (mostly in Italy and in France) using our own Garmin unit and found that its pretty accurate like at home. We have noticed a few "holes' in the GPS driving in parts of Italy, but nothing that caused us any concern. Of course its always wise to have some kind of back-up map.

Hank

• 2 months later...

For those who have rented a vehicle at FCO and driven themselves to Civitavecchia, could you give me your opinion to this option? I see the route is a pretty straight shot and it only takes 45 minutes. Though I'm not keen on the idea of driving while jet-lagged, it does make me tired just thinking about taking a long train ride.

What is the road like? What should I watch out for? What's the speed limit? Is the way into Civitavecchia clearly marked? On a Saturday, will the coastal route be congested or free?

I'd like to hear from those who've done this themselves and know the pros & cons before making a decision.

THANKS!

We're renting a car from Hertz at FCO to explore Tuscany before our cruise. I just checked, the cost is the same whether we return the car to FCO or Civitavecchia, so I thought if it's not too hard to drive from FCO to Civitavecchia, maybe we should drive instead of taking the train. I heard the drive is beautiful. Does any one know whether it's hard to drive from FCO to Civitavecchia? Will we be mainly on highways? Are there a lot of traffic in the morning (9-12) beginning of June (Monday 6/6 to be exact!)? We don't mind driving on the highways, but terrified of traffic/driving pattern in Rome! And last but not least, would you recommend this approach instead of taking the trains?

Thanks a bunch in advance for your help!

Does any one know whether it's hard to drive from FCO to Civitavecchia? Will we be mainly on highways? Are there a lot of traffic in the morning (9-12) beginning of June (Monday 6/6 to be exact!)? We don't mind driving on the highways, but terrified of traffic/driving pattern in Rome! And last but not least, would you recommend this approach instead of taking the trains?

Easy drive, and you'll be going against any traffic as you'll be heading away from Rome, not toward it.

Archived