America's Cup Sailing Regatta

tinykygal

Has anyone sailed the Regatta in Phillipsburg? My husband thinks this would be a wonderful thing for this 50+ couple to do...not to participate but to watch.;)

Sailing on Explorer of the Seas in April.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

This excursion is a blast (from a couple of 50'ish'ers).

They will have you participate, no one was allowed to just 'observe'. If you want a job with little to no physical exersion, ask to be the bartender and/or the timekeeper, most of the other jobs require some physical activity on the sailboat.

We had a great time on this excursion! We are all in our 30's. My friend and I were Winch Wenches, which was not much physical ********. Like the previous poster said, timekeeper and bartender are no physical ********. It was a great way to experience the water on a smaller ship. The water in St. Maarten was gorgeous! For those that want a lot of ********...be a grinder!

Thank you for that info. I have only seen 1 pic & it seems the men are shirtless, the women in bathing suits. How about athletic shorts that dry quickly, sports bra & tshirt?

I think that would be more comfortable. Life Jackets available?

My husband is so excited. We have been on a lake for 23 yrs, love the water but I respect it and have a bit of fear about adventures such as this.

Thank you for that info. I have only seen 1 pic & it seems the men are shirtless, the women in bathing suits. How about athletic shorts that dry quickly, sports bra & tshirt?

My husband is so excited. We have been on a lake for 23 yrs, love the water but I respect it and have a bit of fear about adventures such as this.

We both wore T-shirts & shorts, the sun is really strong, so you want to use plenty of sunscreen too! I can't remember if there were life jackets or not. I am sure they would provide one if you wanted one.

Your suggested attire would be great. I have some pictures posted in my PhotoBucket. Sorry about the quality, they're from an old digital camera.

If anyone has a broadband connection, you can listen to a radio report about our sailing on Laser101, a local station.

Thank you, once again. Will look @ pics. My husband is so excited!! When I read him your comments, all he could do was :)

Hopefully this will be my last question, hope not to aggravate you: about pics....I cannot imagine how much water we will be exposed to. I was thinking "underwater camera" but would really love to have wonderful memories in pics.

Thank you.

Re: pictures, unfortunately, they have you stash ALL your gear below decks until after the race. After you WIN, they'll bring it back up and you can take pictures on the way back. (They did a round of pics with everyone's camera first.) After we anchored in Great Bay we got to swim off the boat until the tender came out to get us ~ 15 or 20 minutes.

Re:water; very little splash, spray, etc. but oud day was extremely calm. Hopefully you'll have more excitement.

gary

You are so helpful! Thank you. I am glad that our daughter referred me to this site. Our ISP is dial-up and so very slow :mad: but it helps to see what others have to say. I try not to look at boards re: food because noone agrees; however, excursions are something different.

Your pics are great. Any suggestions on what you take off the ship (back pack, water) other than sunglasses & sunscreen?:cool:

Thank you, once again!!!!

You are so helpful! Thank you. I am glad that our daughter referred me to this site. Our ISP is dial-up and so very slow :mad: but it helps to see what others have to say. I try not to look at boards re: food because noone agrees; however, excursions are something different.

Your pics are great. Any suggestions on what you take off the ship (back pack, water) other than sunglasses & sunscreen?:cool:

Wear tennis shoes or rubber sole sandals so you don't slip 'n slide.

We went on this excursion last October while on a Southern Caribbean curise.This is touted as the best excursion in the Caribbean and I agree.Don't worry about the participation aspect of the race you will have the time of your life.We had a great time and as a result of my experiance I plan to go to sailing school in St FTL this fall so I can learn to sail.I am over 50 years old and my wife and I Snow Ski,Golf,White Water Canoe and ride Touring Bicycles in and around central Kentucky.Sailing would be a new kick.The next time I go To St Martin I plan to sign up for both sessions. When the first race is over I will tell them to go get 15 new crew members for the afternoon sail because I intend to be the 16th.

A visor or a hat and maybe snacks. Would suggest that you apply the sunscreen before you leave the ship, and then again later in the day.

Be sure to either leave the ship with and/or show up at the 12 Metre with an empty bladder. There are NO RESTROOM FACILITIES aboard.

Have a GREAT time!

gary

Just did this last week and yes there are life jackets. We had one person elect to wear one. You really don't move around during the race so I never felt the need for one. Didn't get wet at all on the sailboat, only on the tender going back and forth. I must say, it was a blast.

How long and what time of day are the races? We were wondering if we would have time to go to the beach as well.

Kevin

Try www.12metrechallenge.com for info. I believe the excursion is scheduled to last about 2 1/2 hours and they offer three or four "races" a day. I tried to book this indepenently but they want cruise ship people to book through the excursion through the cruise ship.

DW and I will be doing this in the 0830 time slot on the 22nd when the Golden docks. I think the next time slot being offered thru the ship was 1030 or 1100. We are doing it early so we could have the rest of the day for other stuff.

Has anyone sailed the Regatta in Phillipsburg? My husband thinks this would be a wonderful thing for this 50+ couple to do...not to participate but to watch.;)

Sailing on Explorer of the Seas in April.

Thanks.

I think you're right.

One tip: If you can, get on the early sailing then spend the rest of the day relaxing on the beach. Reserve early, they fill up REALLY fast

Archived