America's Cup Sailing Regatta

tinykygal

We over 55ers did this excursion last time in St. Maarten. It was amazing. MY DH was a grinder and I was a winch wench! (we are not athletic, but did fine) We drew the Stars and Stripes and we beat the True North!

Re. a camera: You can keep your waterproof camera above deck and take pictures. I suggest you take 2 cameras and give one to some kind person on the other boat to take pictures of YOUR boat. I have great pictures of the True North, but none of us! If you put your address label on your cameras and they won't get mixed up with someone elses.

Our excursion was a morning excursion and we had time to go to Dawn Beach and enjoy the rest of the time in port. It is a nice snorkeling beach w/ a bar, chairs, umbrellas, etc.

Have a great time!

Michelle

Thanks for that information, but on our sailing, which was in 2003, (so things may have changed), we weren't allowed to keep anything above deck. Someone wanted their binoculars, but no.

I LOVE the idea of passing a camera to someone on the other boat!! Excellent suggestion.

gary

p.s. Our Stars and Stripes whooped Canada II! (By about 18 inches after a 4 hour race at about 6 knots) Audio link to our story on the local radio station if you have broadband.

Anyone know if there is a minimum age requirement for this excursion?

TIA

A~:)

The 'Official' minimum age is 12, but if you are with your experienced (e.g. sailing family) child, they'll accept them as young as eight.

The cruise lines may make their own rules on this.

gary

• 2 months later...

We took this excursion last July. Was our favorite excursion of all time. It is very exciting, not relaxing at all. You are going to go fast, and you are going to hang on for your life. The excursion is 2.5 hours but you are not racing for that long. It takes time to get you out to meet the boat, and then back. Take the earliest excursion, you will have time for the beach in Phillipsburg. We were on the AOS. They take a Princess ship out and then the RCCL ship, etc. We did the excursion, ate lunch on the ship, and then caught the ferry to town and the beach, no problem. Even if you miss the beach, the race is worth it. . .a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Archived