Luggage

larkie25

I am typically a pretty light packer and for a 5 day trip in New York City last year I packed only my carry on and a backpack so as to get everything on the plane, avoid extra charges and get out of the airport quick. Hubby did the same.

We are going on a 4 day cruise and driving to the port. If we can fit everything into one rolling carry on each and possibly a backpack/purse-do we have to check anything or use the luggage tags? I'm thinking getting on the ship and just taking my bag to my room isn't that big of a deal.

Are there size limits to our carry ons? We got them on the plane fine, surely a cruiseline is not more strict, right?

I am typically a pretty light packer and for a 5 day trip in New York City last year I packed only my carry on and a backpack so as to get everything on the plane, avoid extra charges and get out of the airport quick. Hubby did the same.

We are going on a 4 day cruise and driving to the port. If we can fit everything into one rolling carry on each and possibly a backpack/purse-do we have to check anything or use the luggage tags? I'm thinking getting on the ship and just taking my bag to my room isn't that big of a deal.

Are there size limits to our carry ons? We got them on the plane fine, surely a cruiseline is not more strict, right?

I would check your cruise lines website for specific luggage carry on requirements as it has to fit through their security scanners. Also keep in mind that you usually can't get into your room into 1-1:30 so you have to carry everything around until then if you board early.

The scanners the cruise lines use are just like the scanners in the airports. If it qualifies as an airplane carry-on then it will qualify as a cruise ship carry-on.

DH and I started packing light and carrying (rolling) on our luggage several years ago. It's nice to be able to unpack as soon as we get into our cabin. We do still attach luggage tags.

I've only had a problem once with my small roll-on case in Galveston while boarding a Carnival cruise. Was told it was too large for X-ray machine. So I had to go back and check it.

Two months later, I cruised out of Mobile with the same bag. No problem carrying it on and yes, it did fit through the X-ray machine with room to spare!

We board early so keep in mind if you board early too, your room won't be ready and you will have to roll and carry your luggage around with you until 1-1:30, when they will open the doors for you to get to your cabin. That would be the only drawback I can think of if it meets the required size. I already know we won't be able to do this but I would love to just stroll on with everything and not have to watch for our luggage to arrive.

We are planning to get there at 11am (though our cruise documents say boarding is at 2pm, but I thought I read somewhere 11am was when it opened?) so it's probable our rooms won't be ready...

When we get on the ship do they give us our room key right away, or do we have to come back to get the key when our room is ready? If it's still being cleaned I don't mind just dropping the luggage in the closet or wherever, but I don't really want to be rolling it around for 2 hours.

We are planning to get there at 11am (though our cruise documents say boarding is at 2pm, but I thought I read somewhere 11am was when it opened?) so it's probable our rooms won't be ready...

When we get on the ship do they give us our room key right away, or do we have to come back to get the key when our room is ready? If it's still being cleaned I don't mind just dropping the luggage in the closet or wherever, but I don't really want to be rolling it around for 2 hours.

You'll get your room key before you board the ship when you check in at the terminal. Very often they have the hallways to the rooms closed or barricaded until all the rooms are ready. Then they make an announcement that you may now go to your room. Its not a big deal to check your luggage. You tag it, hand it over and it shows up at your room, often before you do. Just pack a small bag with any essentials you might need for the next few hours, ie, camara, medicine. Some people say to bring your swimsuit but I've never had the time for that. i cant think of anything else you'll need, you'll be too busy eating and exploring the ship!

Archived