Hertz shuttles at Port Everglades don't go to FLL

Underwatr

Something I overlooked when booking a Hertz rental after our Queen Victoria cruise is that the Hertz rental location servicing Port Everglades isn't the FLL location. Instead you end up at a Hertz franchise at a Crowne Plaze hotel just outside the port.

That agency rented me a car at the rate I had reserved (and I was permitted to return the car at FLL), but their selection was quite limited compared to what I could get at the airport. I had specifically reserved a Prius and ended up with a Ford Escape.

I did notice that the National/Alamo shuttle bus in the port that appeared to run to the airport rather than a different location. I first realized I wasn't going to the airport when the Hertz shuttles were white chevy vans rather than the normal Hertz aiport buses.

That's correct. National and Alamo are the only airport rental companies that participate in the "shared" bus to Port Everglades now. The other companies used to be a part of it when the new rental centre opened up in the last 10 years or so, but gradually stopped. It would help people out if the airport website was updated to reflect the change instead of causing people to think they can rent from any company there and get a free ride to or from the port.

For what it's worth though, cab fare is so cheap to the airport that if one wants the good selection there instead of what might be offered at the city locations, it's money well spent. And if you do online check-in, you just walk in, grab a car and go, with a quick stop at the gate to swipe your credit card.

I had specifically reserved a Prius and ended up with a Ford Escape.

I worked in a rental car agency for 5 years and we could/would never reserve an exact model of car, only the size. I'm actually shocked that you were told you would get a specific model of car.

Ford Escapes are amazing but sorry you didn't like yours.

I worked in a rental car agency for 5 years and we could/would never reserve an exact model of car, only the size. I'm actually shocked that you were told you would get a specific model of car.

Ford Escapes are amazing but sorry you didn't like yours.

The Prius is model-reservable with Hertz as part of their "Green Collection."

We spent too little time in the car for it to matter - we went to the hotel and fell asleep after lunch rather than sightseeing as we had planned. Uprgades to SUVs are of dubious value when gas is $3.60 a gallon.

The Escape also had complimentary Sirus and a Neverlost GPS but I had brought my Nuvi and don't consider the Neverlost to be a paricularly good GPS implementation.

Pushing the bigger cars is common. Most do not want them with gas prices. I recently had a small car reserved for about a 180 mile trip and when I arrived at the rental location the told me i was lucky they were going to upgrade me. I said no thanks. They gave me the small car I requested.

I happened to get a satisfaction survey from Hertz today so I had the opportunity to provide some detailed feedback about the level of disclosure about where I'd be renting. Maybe they'll take a small lesson (or not).

Archived