Downtown Miami Hotels--what are they going for?

Haven't stayed in MIA in the last few years...used to all the time prior to our Majesty of the Seas cruises, and it looks like (obviously) the prices have skyrocketed since then. We've stayed at the Hyatt Regency, Doubletree Grand Biscayne Bay, and the Intercontinental. All for under $150 a night.

Anyone have any ideas on how to score a price like this for Feb '12 in a nicer hotel such as one of these, or similar? Not looking for the Holiday Inn, but a tad nicer place. Have used hotwire in the past, but never priceline (but would be open to do so).

Any advice or ideas on what you guys have been paying? No way am I paying $250 a nt for a downtown MIA hotel...wondering if I can get around this, or whether I should stay in FLL?

Any feedback appreciated...thanks!

I wouldn't book anything now for Feb. 2012.

Use Priceline and book in fall or later. Just bid downtown Miami if that's where you want to stay.

Use betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com to find hotel lists as well as winning bids for the exact date you need the room. And as stated, it's waaay to early to book. No use asking what people are paying for rooms now.

I like to use Hotwire when I have a specific place in mind. Worth the few extra dollars to know what I'm paying for ahead of time.

If it's a one night stay, and you don't have specific plans for Miami or Miami Beach, you can save by staying nearer the airport.

I wouldn't book anything now for Feb. 2012.

Use Priceline and book in fall or later. Just bid downtown Miami if that's where you want to stay.

Use betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com to find hotel lists as well as winning bids for the exact date you need the room. And as stated, it's waaay to early to book. No use asking what people are paying for rooms now.

I like to use Hotwire when I have a specific place in mind. Worth the few extra dollars to know what I'm paying for ahead of time.

If it's a one night stay, and you don't have specific plans for Miami or Miami Beach, you can save by staying nearer the airport.

Thanks. I realize it's early, not planning on booking now, just trying to get a ballpark figure. Definitely want/need to stay downtown though, not around the airport.

One question...with Hotwire, you don't find out where you're actually staying until after you

book, correct? I was confused with your statement about that...

Thanks. I realize it's early, not planning on booking now, just trying to get a ballpark figure. Definitely want/need to stay downtown though, not around the airport.

One question...with Hotwire, you don't find out where you're actually staying until after you

What are your exact dates?

Agree not to book anything now.

Why not look at staying in Coconut Grove or Coral Gables? Much less than downtown and so much nicer. Downtown Miami is an overdeveloped pit.

With Hotwire and Priceline you pay for the room and then find out the name and there are no refunds. Look at lastminutetravel.com. I got the downtown Hyatt for $88. Much too early now to book though.

I usually use Priceline and don't know what hotel I have gotten until after I make the payment but there are only a few hotels in downtown Miami that meet the criteria I set so I am pretty sure of getting something quite acceptable (Hilton, Marriott, Intercontental, Doubletree, Hyatt) at a price of less than $100 a night (price of course depends on the dates you want). I believe that with Hotwire, the information that they provide you with before you book is specific enough to allow you to make a good guess about which property they are describing.

Archived