Overnight off ship

polar1

How do we arraign for permission from HAL to stay overnight between ports and rejoin the ship at the next port? We will be in Zeebrugge one night and in Rotterdam the next. We would like to disembark in Zeebrugge and reboard in Rotterdam.

Call them and tell them what you want to do. If they agree, then I would make certain the front desk, secruity, and your room stewart knew you would be off the ship for the night.

how do you know their name will be stewart? they are stewards - with a 'd' ;)

Just a friendly "zero points" reminder from the Guidelines:

Spelling & Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

We have spent the night off the ship before and it can be done -- just be sure everyone who needs to know has been informed. Check with the front desk as they know everything. It would also not hurt to call HAL in advance of your trip. We have plans to overnight in Jersalem next month rejoining the ship in Haifa in order to make the most of our port time.

I would echo what JJPacer said about notifying the Security Officer once you are on the ship. A few years ago we were on a cruise where we notified the front desk that we would be off the ship overnight. When we boarded the next day, alarms went off when they scanned our cards and we were pulled aside until security could speak to us. Apparently, we and several other couples were unaccounted for at sailing time in the prior port and they incurred charges waiting to try to find us. The Security Officer came to see us the next day to find out whom we had notified at the front desk. Believe me, when we stay off the ship next month for an overnight in port (even tho the ship is not leaving), I will make sure Security knows and has our cell number.

Just a friendly "zero points" reminder from the Guidelines:

Spelling & Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

Humour or humor is the tendency of particular cognitive experiences to provoke laughter and provide amusement. The term derives from the humoral medicine of the ancient Greeks, which taught that the balance of fluids in the human body, known as humours (Latin: húmor, "body fluid"), control human health and emotion.

People of all ages and cultures respond to humour. The majority of people are able to experience humour, i.e., to be amused, to laugh or smile at something funny, and thus they are considered to have a sense of humour. The hypothetical person lacking a sense of humour would likely find the behaviour induced by humour to be inexplicable, strange, or even irrational.

How do we arraign for permission from HAL to stay overnight between ports and rejoin the ship at the next port? We will be in Zeebrugge one night and in Rotterdam the next. We would like to disembark in Zeebrugge and reboard in Rotterdam.

OK. So the advice thus far is to notify my HAL TA and then everyone of authority on the Ship (from the Captain on down?) and get a signed release from each of them.;) Oh, and do not misspell any words!:rolleyes:

But does anyone really know the formal written process that we can rely upon? Rotterdam is a terminus for one cruise segment but we are continuing.

OK. So the advice thus far is to notify my HAL TA and then everyone of authority on the Ship (from the Captain on down?) and get a signed release from each of them.;) Oh, and do not misspell any words!:rolleyes:

But does anyone really know the formal written process that we can rely upon? Rotterdam is a terminus for one cruise segment but we are continuing.

Best bet would be to call HAL and ask them. Might also ask for an email from them to confirm and bring it with you.

We have done it on several cruises and simply notified the Guest Relations desk in advance and reminded them the day we left the ship. We also mention it to our cabin steward (not stewart) and would tell our tablemates and waiter if we have an assigned table. In cases where the cruise ship is holding passports (this happens with some European cruises) we ask for our passports at Guest Relations/Pursers Desk since it can be a hassle check-in to many hotels unless you can produce a passport.

Hank

The official name of what you want to do is "a cruise deviation." You contact the cruise line, ask for the cruise deviation department and they will help you. You will need to give your passports to the desk, they will do whatever they will do with them and then return them to you before you disembark for the night. The formalities are internal but they must be done correctly. Even then, when you return the alarms will sound, not to worry.

• 3 months later...

I phoned HAL with question re: procedure for staying off-ship overnight between ports. I was told TA needed to call HAL so that permission could be sought from both the disembarkation ports and the reembarkation ports to do this. My question was in reference to Alexandria and Port Said, Egypt, and Ashdod and Haifa, Israel.

Archived