How many bottles of alcohol can you bring home?

palmbaytish

We are sailing on the Liberty on 3/26 and we plan on buying some alcohol in Jamacia and Cozumel and we wonder if there is a maximum number of bottles you can bring back onto the ship without playing a duty. For some reason I thought it was like 6 bottles a person, but I can't find anywhere to support that.

I ask, not because I am a raging alcoholic, but I would like to bring back some rum and tequila as gifts for friends/family back home. I'm not taking about a grocery cart full, but what are the limits and what is considered reasonable?

Thanks in advance for your help. Also if anyone knows the cost of cigarettes on board, that would be helpful as I don't know whether or not to buy ahead of time.

Regards

Stephanie

Most cruises is 1 liter per person duty free. If you cruise to the Bahamas then it is 2 liters, but one must be a product of the Bahamas.

Cruises to the US VIrgin Islands the duty free allowance is 4 liters pp (I think).

You can add one more liter to that as long as it is a product of the US Virgin Islands.

Complete details are available on the US Customs website.

Most cruises is 1 liter per person duty free. If you cruise to the Bahamas then it is 2 liters, but one must be a product of the Bahamas.

Cruises to the US VIrgin Islands the duty free allowance is 4 liters pp (I think).

You can add one more liter to that as long as it is a product of the US Virgin Islands.

Complete details are available on the US Customs website.

Those numbers sound about right - you can bring more, (within reason) but it will be subject to duties and taxes.

Thanks Frank...

I was reading the Us Customs Page and I was having a hard time understanding it. If we go ovr the amount allowed, how is the "duty" determined. Like if we were each able to bring back 2 bottles duty free but we each brought back 4, where would we even know how much we would have to pay in fees.

I just wanted to pick up a few bottles of rum in Jamacia for friends/coworkers and a bottle of tequila and Johnnie Walker for my dad if I can find it on the cheap.

Thanks for your help!

-Stephanie

Thanks Frank...

I was reading the Us Customs Page and I was having a hard time understanding it. If we go ovr the amount allowed, how is the "duty" determined. Like if we were each able to bring back 2 bottles duty free but we each brought back 4, where would we even know how much we would have to pay in fees.

I just wanted to pick up a few bottles of rum in Jamacia for friends/coworkers and a bottle of tequila and Johnnie Walker for my dad if I can find it on the cheap.

Thanks for your help!

-Stephanie

The Duty is apparently a very small percentage, something like a buck or two a bottle, and generally if you declare the extra bottles they wave you on without charging you. You might try a SEARCH within this forum for a few specific, detailed posts on this. ken

Thanks Frank...

Thanks for your help!

-Stephanie

The Customs agent who enters you back into the US decides if you have to pay the extra duty. I have went over my limit many times and never been charged. One time I was 5 bottles over and he told me that all the paperwork he would have to do was not worth the 10-12 bucks I owed. :)

We are sailing on the Liberty on 3/26 and we plan on buying some alcohol in Jamacia and Cozumel and we wonder if there is a maximum number of bottles you can bring back onto the ship without playing a duty. For some reason I thought it was like 6 bottles a person, but I can't find anywhere to support that.

I ask, not because I am a raging alcoholic, but I would like to bring back some rum and tequila as gifts for friends/family back home. I'm not taking about a grocery cart full, but what are the limits and what is considered reasonable?

Thanks in advance for your help. Also if anyone knows the cost of cigarettes on board, that would be helpful as I don't know whether or not to buy ahead of time.

Regards

Stephanie

I'm not a big drinker either, but I looked at the duty-free liquor prices on our cruise last week. I wasn't impressed; I thought the prices were high. So I didn't buy anything. A 1.0 L bottle of Makers Mark bourbon was selling for $33 in Cozumel, and it wasn't even available in the duty-free shop on the Elation. On Saturday, I was grocery shopping in Indianapolis, and found Makers Mark bourbon for $42.99 for a 1.75L bottle. That's about $24.50 per liter. Needless to say, I bought the bottle in Indy!

We bought 10 bottles on the ship. We bought 2 Crown Royals, 1 Grey Goose, 3 Cruzan Rums, 2 Malibu Rums, and 2 Captain Morgans.

Customs 'gave' us the two Crown Royals as our 'one each' and charged us $19 for the rest. I am not sure how they came up with the amount but they asked what types of alcohol we had...e.g. rum, vodka, whiskey etc.

We bought 10 bottles on the ship. We bought 2 Crown Royals, 1 Grey Goose, 3 Cruzan Rums, 2 Malibu Rums, and 2 Captain Morgans.

Customs 'gave' us the two Crown Royals as our 'one each' and charged us $19 for the rest. I am not sure how they came up with the amount but they asked what types of alcohol we had...e.g. rum, vodka, whiskey etc.

I think it all varies by the agent you get.

Most it seems are not too concerned if you are upfront and tell them

what you have. I have heard of someone getting 16... or 19

(something like that..a bunch)with no charge.

I have done 4 once and 6 twice with no charge.

I think the bigger problem comes with trying to sneak it through

without telling them. They find that out..not good from the way it sounds.

Galveston Tx has a different set of laws. I am not sure of the specifics

but know it is much more strict there.

I really believe that it depends on the agent that you give your form to on debarkation! I'm always over my limit (I cook and use the opportunity to get specialty liquors that cost an arm and a leg here). I've always declared my overage and only once have I paid anything, in Mobile when we were diverted there from New Orleans due to an oil leak in the Mississippi.

Regards

Stephanie

Last trip we brought back 12L, 4L from each stop declaired it all and didnt pay any duty or tax but this may have been an oversight on the part of customs so it might not be typical.

Regards

Stephanie

Last trip we brought back 12L, 4L from each stop declaired it all and didnt pay any duty or tax but this may have been an oversight on the part of customs so it might not be typical.

Regards

Stephanie

The Customs agent who enters you back into the US decides if you have to pay the extra duty. I have went over my limit many times and never been charged. One time I was 5 bottles over and he told me that all the paperwork he would have to do was not worth the 10-12 bucks I owed. :)

We've gone "overboard" every time we cruised and usually not been charged, but on our most recent cruise, the CBP agent went through the paperwork for $12. Not just for us, for everyone that came back over the limit. I guess it depends on the agent...

Archived