Short time in Stockhom

Hi, everyone, we will be going on the Emerald Princess on a Baltic cruise and will be stopping at Stockhom from 7am to 2pm on Jun 13, 2011. Since my parents had been to the Vasa Museum before and also because of the short time frame of the stay, we decided to skip this part this time. So, we would like to focus on the Gamla Stan and the Royal Palace this time. Also, I think I had read somewhere (forgot which website) about the bridge to the Skeppsholmen island and it suggested to have a picture taken with the guilded crowns in the foreground. Now, my questions are: What will be the best sequence to do all of the above due to the short time we have in this city and what kind of transportation we should use? We would also like to see the change of guard, but it starts at 12:15pm and our ship leaves at 2pm, that means we need to be back by 1:30pm at the laterst, so can we make it? and if we can, then what kind of transportation we need to go back to the pier from the Royal Palace since we don't want to miss the ship. Finally, can anyone tell me is the bridge to the Skeppsholmen island worth going since I have no idea how far is the bridge from the other attractions. Any ideas and suggestions will be appreciated, thanks!

Hi, everyone, we will be going on the Emerald Princess on a Baltic cruise and will be stopping at Stockhom from 7am to 2pm on Jun 13, 2011. Since my parents had been to the Vasa Museum before and also because of the short time frame of the stay, we decided to skip this part this time. So, we would like to focus on the Gamla Stan and the Royal Palace this time. Also, I think I had read somewhere (forgot which website) about the bridge to the Skeppsholmen island and it suggested to have a picture taken with the guilded crowns in the foreground. Now, my questions are: What will be the best sequence to do all of the above due to the short time we have in this city and what kind of transportation we should use? We would also like to see the change of guard, but it starts at 12:15pm and our ship leaves at 2pm, that means we need to be back by 1:30pm at the laterst, so can we make it? and if we can, then what kind of transportation we need to go back to the pier from the Royal Palace since we don't want to miss the ship. Finally, can anyone tell me is the bridge to the Skeppsholmen island worth going since I have no idea how far is the bridge from the other attractions. Any ideas and suggestions will be appreciated, thanks!

Your plan is wise and smart to focus on the Gamia Stan and Royal Palace areas early in the morning. The shops will not be open at 8 am or so, but you can and should wander around there, explore, enjoy the interesting history, architecture, etc. We have not been to that one bridge, BUT, however, there are lots of great, interesting and scenic places to see in Stockholm, stand in front of for pictures, etc. I don't know that it is worth wasting or spending too much time getting there and back.

The other key unknown factors will be weather and number of other ships in town that day. You've got a good starting point and then you can "play it by ear" depending weather, crowds, what you like, etc. You can't see ALL of Stockholm in two or three days. In your much shorter time period, you need to be ready to "GO WITH THE FLOW" as you sense things, explore, adjusting to opportunities, fitting your mood at the time, etc. Below are some visual samples from my pictures of what we saw and like in Stockholm. Research and be prepared to consider your many options. The great news is that so much is around and near to the Gamia Stan area, the harbor there, etc. If you're there at the start of the military charging of the guard, it could give a good enough sample before you need to scoot back to your ship for its early departure. Cabs are costly in Stockholm, but it could save you time getting back to the ship.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 35,270 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Royal Palace, the historic Saint Nicolaus Church, or as commonly known Storkyrkan. To the left in the picture is where the Gamia Stan area starts.:

StockhPalaceDocking.jpg

Overlooking the main harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Grand Hotel. From its location, you can see the Royal Palace and other great architecture in this historic area. The Grand Hotel was opened in 1874 and hosts Nobel Prize winner during the ceremony period.:

StockhGrandHotel.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard involves this large band with their unique helmets:

1A-StHolm-GuardsMarching.jpg

In the heart of Stockholm’s historic old city with many outdoor dining places:

1A-Stockholm-OldCityHeart.jpg

The architecture of buildings along Stockholm’s historic waterfront:

1A-Stockholm-WaterfrontBldgs.jpg

Ships and buildings seen on water tour around Stockholm's islands:

1A-StH-WatersideBldgShip.jpg

I think I had read somewhere (forgot which website) about the bridge to the Skeppsholmen island and it suggested to have a picture taken with the guilded crowns in the foreground.

Like this?? I don't think that's worth the effort!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&q=Skeppsholmen&ie=UTF8&ll=59.327145,18.079425&spn=0.002436,0.0103&z=18&layer=c&cbll=59.32735,18.079084&panoid=ZUn9mQwLqH5njTOiOrLFMw&cbp=12,234.67,,0,8.86

I understand that you have only a short stay in Stockholm, but you should still try and make it to the Vasa Museum. It opens about 8:30 on the day you arrive,and if you only spend an hour there, it will be well worth it.

As for Gamla Stan and the changing of the guards. Yes the ceremony starts about 12:15 and usually runs for about an hour, but you do not have to stay for the entire thing. There is a big band and a lot of marching around. You can stay for about 1/2 of it,. get a good feel for what it is about and leave. it is in an open courtyard so you can depart anytime you feel like.

As for Gamla Stan, this is just a joy to roam around in. There are streets very crowded with tourists and then a block or two away, you can find solitude in almost empty streets, just made for exploring.

We loved Stockholm, it was our favorite port, but do try and see the Vasa Museum, it will be something you will remember for a long time.

Here are a few of my pics for this just magnificent city

Walking around this picturesque city, you will find many bridges over the canals

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1235.jpg

The Palace, at the beginning of the area of Gamla Stan

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1241.jpg

One of the Guards around the Palace, with a view of the Palace reflecting in their helmets

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1255.jpg

The Changing of the guard Ceremony is a lot of pomp and ceremony

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1306.jpg

Gamla Stan is an area with narrow, cobblestone streets, and wonderful shops to explore

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1275.jpg

Or, if you choose, just pull up a chair and relax over some lunch or just a snack or brew.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1265.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Len

If you don't go to the Vasa this is what it's all about

Tony

Thank you Terry and Len for the beautiful pictures and the suggestions, but what transportation would you suggest to go to the Gamla Stan or the Royal Palace or should I go Royal Palace first then Gamla Stan? Terry suggested the taxi to go back to the pier, actually we don't mind about the cost but can we easily find a taxi around the Royal Palace area?

Len, I know the Vasa Museum is worth seeing, but since my parents had been there before and they don't want to go there this time, for me, I think I will definitely go to Stockholm within the next few year, that's why I'm ok with it.

Ultima Thule, yes, that's what I saw on the website before, thank you! But is it very far from the Royal Palace? If that's just a short walk say 5 or 10 mins, I think it's ok, but if it's too far, then I just won't bother to go there.

Tony, thanks for your video!

Thank you Terry and Len for the beautiful pictures and the suggestions, but what transportation would you suggest to go to the Gamla Stan or the Royal Palace or should I go Royal Palace first then Gamla Stan? Terry suggested the taxi to go back to the pier, actually we don't mind about the cost but can we easily find a taxi around the Royal Palace area?

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures. Give credit to Stockholm for its great beauty! From our two days in Stockholm in early August 2008, there seemed to be a good supply of taxi's, especially in and around the main, busy areas such as at the edges of Gamia Stan and near the Royal Palace. The heart of the Gamia Stan is a no car zone, but there seemed to be many right nearby. It is about a 20 minute walk from the Royal Palace to the Vasa

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 35,300 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

T

Ultima Thule, yes, that's what I saw on the website before, thank you! But is it very far from the Royal Palace? If that's just a short walk say 5 or 10 mins, I think it's ok, but if it's too far, then I just won't bother to go there.

Its 650 yards from the NE corner of the palace over Strömbron bridge and to the right past Grand Hotel to Skeppsholmen bridge if you insist on that picture composition but in my own opinion the view from Strömbron bridge next to the Palace is almost as good.

If you don't have anything against walking I should suggest you take the route from the NW corner of the Palace over the short bridge to Helgelandsholmen, through the parlament building yard (picture 1) and then over Riksbron bridge (picture 2). From there you'll have a good view over the water of the City Hall about half a mile away to the left. Now turn right and follow the bank to Gustaf Adolfs torg (with the statue as seen on picture 2) and the Opera and then have a look at the Kings Garden (Kungsträdgården) before coming to the north side of Strömbron bridge. You could then either continue to Skeppsholmen bridge to take the picture for a total route of just over one mile or just return to the Palace over Strömbron bridge (half a mile in total). That way you would be able to see a bit more of Stockholm than just Gamla Stan without too much effort.

You could perhaps do it early before the shops in Gamla Stan opens. The Palace and Treasury opens at 10 a.m. and the Armory at 11 a.m.

sn01.jpg

sn02.jpg

Hi Squaremimi

As you will be returning to Stockholm soonish anyway the Vasa issue isn't really a problem and as your parents have been there you are making the best use of your a short day in Stockholm. In case it's any help here's the thing I made of central Stockholm, which shows stuff which features in Terry, Len and Ultima's photos

If it's any help for the rest of your trip this http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1277047 has the links to similar-syle videos of Copenhagen, Tallinn, St Petersburg (6), Helsinki (2), Berlin and the Berlin Wall.

All the best, Tony

Mimi

I, like Terry, want to thank you so much for the nice comments on the pics. Stockholm is such a glorious city and glad you will be going back there in the near future. I wish, one, day, we also will make the trip back.

Since you are docking right in Stockholm, you will be sailing the Archipielago when you leave Stockholm. Make sure you are out on deck to view this marvelous trip thru the waterways leaving Stockholm. It is just a joy to see.

Here are a few more pics of the sailing thru the Archipelago

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1344.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1343.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1342.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1341.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept1338.jpg

And a short video

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1374.mp4

Cheers

Len

The Emerald Princess is booked to dock at Stadsgården port in Stockholm on June 13. From where the ship docks there is a 20-30 minutes walk to reach the south end of Gamla Stan, the area called Slussen. Or there is frequent bus traffic if you don’t want to walk. There could be a change of port but most of the time the ship will dock where it is booked.

It is difficult to say for sure if there will be taxis waiting when you want them. Taxis tend to go where they expect business to be, and that could be different depending on what is going on at a certain day and time.

I have made a map where you can see the port as well as the main sights around Gamla Stan. The Royal Palace is actually in Gamla Stan and one of the places to see there is the Royal Armory (opens at 11.00 am. Another thing to do in Gamla Stan is of course just stroll around the area.

In the map I have also marked Skeppsholmen bridge, so you can see where it is, and also Riksbron bridge, a nice recommendation from Ultima Thule.

If you decide to stay only in Gamla Stan I would also recommend taking the Katarinahissen elevator at Slussen up to see a nice view of Stockholm. The area behind the elevator is also quite nice. If you really like to walk and have time, it is possible to walk back to the ship an alternative way with views of the city instead of along the quay.

Should you decide to take a bus it is important to buy tickets before you enter the bus. It should be possible to buy tickets at the tourist info/shop at the quay before you leave the docking area.

Here is a link to the map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200939608343314501629.00049f0e59a3968967b31&ll=59.328943,18.085814&spn=0.024869,0.059052&t=h&z=14

Ultima Thule, thank you for the detailed directions and the pictures and the bus routes map.

Tony, thanks again for the videos.

Len, thanks for the nice pictures and the video of the Archipelago.

North-bound, thanks for the map and the suggestion of taking the Katarinahissen elevator at Slussen up to see the nice view of Stockholm, I'm really interested in it but it's not in the top 10 must do in Stockholm, so I don't think many people know it. Actually I don't mind walking back but since my parents are almost 70, I think they will prefer to take some kind of transportation.

You guys really have made my travel life a lot easier. After seeing all your comments and pictures and videos, I really wish I can start my vacation as soon as tomorrow. ^_^ Oh, one more question, do the buses and taxis take US$, Euro or only the local currency?

Taxis take credit cards. Some may take foreign currency also but at a terrible exchange rate (after all they will have to go somewhere to change, and that costs maney for them). And if you intend to take a taxi you have to be careful which taxi to take. Al Fresco has put together excellent information on this matter, I am sure you can find it on one of the other threads about Stockholm.

As for buses you can not pay the driver, you have to buy your ticket somewhere before taking a bus. And then it is up to where you buy the ticket. If you buy it at the tourist info/shop at the quay I would guess they take Eros or US$ there.

north-bound,

great map! But, I wonder if you could update it to put the Frihamnen location there.

Our cruise ends in Stockholm and would be curious to see the distance into the central area of the city.

Thanks.

Marazul

north-bound,

great map! But, I wonder if you could update it to put the Frihamnen location there.

Our cruise ends in Stockholm and would be curious to see the distance into the central area of the city.

Thanks.

Marazul

Here is a link to another map I made for cruise passengers. It has all the main ports in Stockholm as well as more sights and also some information on transport. I hop this could be helpful.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&t=h&z=13

Does anyone know if the HoHo boats will be running by May 20? We think they would be our best mode of transport from Vasa to Gamla Stan and back. We dock at Frihamnen on May 20 on the Vision and will most likely use ship's shuttle to town and then on our own. Thanks!

Archived