saw the scariest thing...

on one of those "caught on video" shows (I think DH was watching "Spike TV" at the time). This cruiseship (I think it was British) full of like 400 people hit something and began to sink, and the ENTIRE CREW took off on one of the lifeboats, captain included, WITH THEIR LUGGAGE and just left these people on the sinking ship. :eek: can you even IMAGINE? I only caught bits and pieces of the show and wondered if anyone else had heard of this or knew of any follow up information. wouldn't those crewmembers be held responsible in some way?

I saw the show also. It was on The National Geographic Channel for me. It was the Oceanos. The captain never warned the passengers, just got his family and abandoned ship. In the end, it said the captain never captained a cruiseliner, but is at the helm of a ferry. Don't remember where.

While I certainly don't expect the Captain to actually go down with the ship.....I DO expect more from a Captain and crew who have been entrusted with the lives of hundreds of passengers. I guess it just goes to show that we should really pay attention during those "lifeboat drills"...:eek:

I also saw that program. Yes, the captain and some crew emembers abandoned the ship and left the passengers without any instruction etc.

It was a passenger who got on the ship's radio and called for help.

It was sickening to watch some of the passengers home movies of them, mostly in lifejackets, standing and later sitting on the deck (from the list) wondering what their fate was going to be.

Luckily, all left on board were eventually rescued.

Does anyone know if the owners of the ship are still in business?

I remember reading in the NY Times travel section, maybe 30 years or so ago, about a river tour on the Nile that started to sink and the entire crew started swimming toward shore, abandoning the passengers. :confused:

Archived