Tuxedo Rental

cathy82

Is it still possible to rent a tuxedo onboard so my DH won't have to pack one? I know it used to be possible. If one can, do you know the cost? We will be taking a 14 day cruise on the Eclipse in 2012.

A great choice and one less thing to worry about. No suit to pack and a nice touch for formal nights! Send him up to the local tuxedo shop to get a free measurement, call the tuxedo rental number from the webiste to give them his measurements and you're all set. The tux will be waiting for him in your room upon arrival. $100 for the whole package, with shoes and two shirts I believe. Well worth it. Enjoy!

As suggested by LSimon, I would book it in advance- that way they will be sure to have your husband's size. They will ask for a lot of measurements (my husband always goes to a local tux shop to get measured).

So far, we have always been pleased with the tux. On our last cruise (first with Celebrity), my husband ordered one of the more custom choices and it looked fantastic!

For us, the $80-120 is certainly worth it for what it saves in packing/ironing hassles.

It will be delivered the first/second day of the cruise (get your husband to try it on, so that any alterations can be made right away) and picked up on the last night- very handy!

As suggested by LSimon, I would book it in advance- that way they will be sure to have your husband's size. They will ask for a lot of measurements (my husband always goes to a local tux shop to get measured). They ask that you book with at least 1-2 weeks advanced notice.

So far, we have always been pleased with the tux. On our last cruise (first with Celebrity), my husband ordered one of the more custom choices and it looked fantastic!

For us, the $80-120 is certainly worth it for what it saves in packing/ironing hassles.

It will be delivered the first/second day of the cruise (get your husband to try it on, so that any alterations can be made right away) and picked up on the last night- very handy!

I've always done it for European cruises...We usually tack on multiple days pre- and post-cruise and have a lot to pack...and I don't want to schlepp around my tux all through Europe...and, now, with all of the luggage restrictions, it's a no-brainer...

But I even rented a tux on my recent Caribbean cruise...an easy choice after doing the math...

The tux rental on Royal Caribbean was $89 plus $10 for the shoes...but, being a Diamond Member, they gave me a coupon onboard (which I applied retroactively for 15% off)...so, my final cost was $84.15...

Because I didn't have to pack the tux and shoes, I could fit the rest of my clothes for the week into a carry-on sized bag...which means I didn't have to check a suitcase and saved American Airlines' $25 luggage fee each way...So, deduct $50 and my net cost is now $34.15...

Of course, since I judty turn the tux back in and avoid that dry cleaning/laundry bill on my own tux, I saved even more...In my town, dry cleaning a tux and laundering two shirts could run around $30-35...

In other words, my tuxedo rental was VIRTUALLY FREE!!!

So, when you consider that tux rental cost, realize it is quite a deal...

When I cruise Europe, it doesn't make an impact on luggage fees directly--though having no tux to pack does free up a whole lot of space in my suitcase...

I own a tux that I am planning on packing, but I am thinking about renting just the shoes to save packing space. Does anyone see any reason I couldn't wear them on smart casual nights with black slacks? This wouldn't be every Smart Casual night, just the ones where I can't wear my brown shoes because of my choice of slacks. It is a 12 night baltic cruise before people start asking why I need that many pair of slacks for 7 nights. :)

Similarly when I fly I rent..drive take my own

HINT:

Get the proper measurements and either fill out on line and then phone to confirm or phone first.

Measurements are usually bang on meaning that your shirt sleeves sometimes turn out to be the same as your jacket and are too short.

The pickers often miss that and if you put in longer sleeves they will be long indeed.

If it's not an issue for you don't worry about it.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bump a super old thread, but I'm looking to rent a tux for a 14 night cruise. Do they charge your credit card in advance or do they charge the cabin if you reserve in advance? I would love to use OBC, but I'm not sure I want to wait until we're on board to get a tux in case they don't have his size.