Favorite time of day or night onboard an Alaska cruise?

Starbuck1

My absolutely fav time on the ship has to be after everyone else is asleep! The outside decks are so quiet and peaceful - just the glow of the residual twilight and moon to light the ship's way. It feels as though the whole experience is mine alone!

You'll find me up on deck lounging with a cozy fleece blanket and cuppa java soaking up the midnight moon and the ocean air. Now if I could only convince my husband this was better than catching zzzz's....

However, my favorite place could be changed at once should anyone know exactly where the hunky Italian officers hang out after dark...

:cool: Starbuck

I think I am like Starbuck1 in reverse - have never been to Alaska before but on other cruises I love getting up really early and going up on deck at sunrise and feeling like I have the whole ship to myself. (That may be a little TOO early in Alaska). I am such an early bird that I can never stay up very late. I think its genetic.

Captain I hear you. My DH and I have also done that. We have seen some of the prettiest sunrises early in the morn. We also feel that the whole ship is ours.

marilyn

Oh m'gosh you guys... now everyone's going to know our secrets! The decks will be jam packed between 2am and 6am!!

Captain - no kidding - our internal clocks are all wired so differently! I'm from a rare vampire line, so definitely genetic. :rolleyes:

Misty - found some interesting specs on approximate number of daylight hours for Southeast Alaska (Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway). Apparently it is not uncommon for people to mow their lawns at midnight! How neighborly is that!?

May / Daylight - 16 hours

June / Daylight - 18 hours

July / Daylight - 17 hours

August / Daylight - 15 hours

September / Daylight - 13 hours

:cool: Starbuck

we had an inside cabin, so we spent a great deal of time outside on the different decks. We hated to go in to go to sleep. We lawys found a nice place, out of the direct wind and with a couple of blankets and a hot toddy, we just felt alive. The sea is so quiet and not many people out, it is really spectacular. Our last night asea, we had a full moon come up about 10:00 and we sat out and watched it till about 2 in the AM. Knowing the next day we were leaving the ship, we just didn't want to go to bed and have these feelings end. Others can have the kareoke and the and the other stuff, we loved the solitude of the deck and the sea.

We love the early morning. It gets light so early. So the DH and I are usually on the promenade deck at about 4:00am to do our walking "laps". We usually have it to ourselves until about 5:00am when the crew start performing their tasks.

I too am up and out on deck before dawn, have had some excellent wildlife viewing- ALWAYS have those binoculars with you. :) Going in Sept- also has me out 1-2am, if my forecast is for Northern Lights. Always NO ONE out essentially. AND then when it is heard that the Northern Lights were seen- always regret. :(

I get up every morning at 4:00 and love greeting the day with a hot cup of coffee and the deserted decks. Another favorite time is later in the morning as we are docking - always that sense of anticipation!

We love the early morning for the beautiful sunrises and solitude of being alone with the fantastic scenery. In the evening, we love watching the sun set across the water. On a clear night the stars shine so brightly. We love it during the day watching as we cruise by some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world. Heck, I guess we like cruising Alaska 24 hours a day. Wish we didn't need any sleep so we wouldn't have to miss anything!

I'm pretty much a 24-hour a day person too but my favorite is the long long sunsets that last forever in late May and early June.. the colors in the sky that change constantly and the pale pink-gray sky around midnight.. very serene IMHO...

Archived