They told me this would happen....

CruisinNewbie2010

Just barely 5 weeks since we got back from our first cruise and I'm looking for another one! We were very lucky on the CB 2nd week in Feb. - calm seas and great weather. I'm now looking at the Emerald that sails roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale in late October.

Is the Emerald in the same class as the Caribbean Princess - size-wise?

Also, for those that have travelled the Caribbean in late fall, was the weather a factor at all?

Thanks in advance...this site is awesome for information!:D

Just barely 5 weeks since we got back from our first cruise and I'm looking for another one! We were very lucky on the CB 2nd week in Feb. - calm seas and great weather. I'm now looking at the Emerald that sails roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale in late October.

Also, for those that have travelled the Caribbean in late fall, was the weather a factor at all?

To answer you first question, I suggest you go to the Princess website and take a look at their ships. You will see all the sizes and layouts.

Second question about weather in Caribbean in the fall..... YES! That is hurricane season and the cruise fares are lower because you are gambling on smooth seas. We usually take that gamble and have been lucky so far, but others can testify that a hurricane (or two) can ruin your plans very quickly! :(

The Caribbean and Emerald are sister ships, so the same size, ammenties. In October, hurricanes can be an issue, which could mean rough waters or cancelled ports. On the plus side, cruises in October are generally cheaper!

You Were Warned :eek: The Emerald and the CB are the same - size wise but the Emerald has a newer layout. Sabatini's is located on Deck 16 on the Emerald and has the attached Adagio Bar. The CB has the "shopping cart handle" Skywalkers while it is one deck lower and somewhat forward on the Emerald. The Emerald has Gelato in the IC. If you liked the CB you should like the Emerald.

Thank you all so much for the speedy replies!! I was afraid the weather might not be so favourable so late in the year. Maybe we'll postpone our next trip a few months. Our first cruise was so fantastic, I'd hate to follow it up with one that could be affected by nasty weather.

Thanks again!

The benefit of cruising that time is that the islands will have less other travelers. We cruised last year at the end of August, just about the same time that Earl was ravaging the Caribbean. The only problem our ship had was somewhat rough waters the first day, but the weather on the islands was absolutely amazing, and the half empty beaches were a huge draw. I wouldn't be too concerned with hurricanes unless you're really married to the islands the cruise is going to, in the worst case scenario they'll change the itinerary. The only thing that happened to our ship was the captain decided to go the inside route as opposed to the outside (we had Southern itinerary out of San Juan). I would do it again in a heartbeat, because the rates are unbeatable!

Thank you all so much for the speedy replies!! I was afraid the weather might not be so favourable so late in the year. Maybe we'll postpone our next trip a few months. Our first cruise was so fantastic, I'd hate to follow it up with one that could be affected by nasty weather.
Nasty weather can happen at any time but the combination of it being hurricane season and very low prices makes cruising the Caribbean in the Fall very attractive. As long as you are flexible and aren't "married" to going to a specific port, you should be fine. Cruise ships change itineraries, port order, etc. to avoid hurricanes so even if there is one, chances of being actually caught in one are relatively slim. For instance, an Eastern Caribbean cruise might be switched to a Western Caribbean cruise, or vice versa, or you might go to your ports in reverse order. I wouldn't change cruise plans based on the "what if."

At least 6 of our caribbean cruises have been around the end of October with the balance being around an April time frame. We encountered "not-so-nice" weather only once and the Captain reversed our itinerary so that we were actually "behind" the bad weather. Since you now have the "Bug", I wouldn't hesitate to book in October, especially if it involves Halloween.

Yep, sounds like you're hooked....Next you'll have a cruise ship horn as your cell phone ring, your homepage will be Princess.com, your desktop pic will be of the last or future ship you were/will be on....

Not that I have any of those things............nope, nada, ............oh geez, I've relapsed....gotta start the 12 step program all over again, OR!!!!!!!! go on another cruise.................. :D:D:D:D

Welcome to Cruise Anonymous!!!!

Oh, Oh .. All you can do now is enter a 12 step program :D

It's so addicting !!!

Srpilo

5 weeks?? I've looked at cruises sitting in the airport coming home from one..

We regularly cruise at the peak of hurricane season in September, and have been lucky thus far. Our most recent September cruise was probably the smoothest seas we have ever had.

While rough seas are a risk at all times (and I suppose heightened during hurricane season), it's more likely that you might face a change in itinerary as the ships moves out of potential storm paths, or that you might have difficulty in getting to the home port if the weather affects Florida. You can mitigate these by being flexible on the itinerary, buying travel and interuption insurance and planning to arrive a day or more before your cruise.

We have relished our hurricane season cruises on the Emerald and CB because we've saved money, avoided lots of extra kids :o and adopted a flexible attitude.

We sailed in the Caribbean in early November -- ran into storm/hurricane and itinerary was modified. It didn't bother us at all. I think we went to St Lucia (?) instead. It was windy, but otherwise fine and i had a wonderful time shopping :D for lovely lace-trimmed linens. Ended up being one of my favorite ports of the trip.

I say go for it!

Yep, sounds like you're hooked....Next you'll have a cruise ship horn as your cell phone ring, your homepage will be Princess.com, your desktop pic will be of the last or future ship you were/will be on....

Not that I have any of those things............nope, nada, ............oh geez, I've relapsed....gotta start the 12 step program all over again, OR!!!!!!!! go on another cruise.................. :D:D:D:D

Welcome to Cruise Anonymous!!!!

Oh, this doesn't sound good.....I actually DO have a picture of the ship as my desktop & if I knew how to do it, I WOULD have my phone ring like the horn. I am now a sworn member of Cruise Anonymous!!:)

I think she meant 12 ships....

That has been our cure. Since we live in Colorado and do not have water of any kind we head for the water every chance we get. If you look around you will meet a lot of Coloradians in places where there are water. We cannot help ourselves. Draws us like bugs to a bug zapper.

We travel both in the fall and spring. In the fall the one thing we do is travel out one day ahead because we are coming from snow country and it just gives us less stress and peace of mind that we aren't sitting on a runway at 3pm and our ship leaves at 5pm. So, we make sure we go the day ahead for less stress in case something pops up. If we go now (which we will in 5 days) we will fly out the day of because the weather here is so much more dependable.

We were on the boat last year over Halloween and the weather was perfect. Had nothing to complain about or worry about the tossing of the seas. We have really had that happen only 2 times out of 11. And have heard stories but our experience has been slight. Once in the Caribbean and the other in the Pacific to Hawaii.

Hope it helps. You'll do great.

Remember the cruise companies want you to come back time and time again so they do pretty much anything to make eveyone happy. We have been on a half a dozen cruises during hurricane season and only once did the captain have to outrun a hurricane. For one afternoon we had very windy conditions, black skiies and some waves but other than that, a perfect cruise. The captian will do his best to make it smooth and safe. I would say GO FOR IT!!!:D:D

We've been on Emerald twice. It's newer than the Caribbean, but the amenities are very similar, as is it's size. The layout is just slightly different. They are true "sister" ships, as the three captains share these two vessels. This will be our third cruise with Capt Marco Fortezze.

As a fellow Canucklehead (we were on the Caribbean Princess on Feb 27) the only thing I'd add to all the suggestions is that it's lovely to get out of the white stuff in winter and that's why we choose end of February. Otherwise there's no bad time for a cruise. :)

omg, does that mean I'm going to get worse?? LOL

Much worse. Much Much WORSE

So bad you will wonder what the ramifications of selling your home and car to take your next cruise. You will wonder if your kids will miss you for 7 days or 10 days or even 14 days while you are on a cruise. Your job will suffer as you spend time trying to convince your coworkers to go with you next time. Your relations with other family members will suffer because you are doing something they want to do. Your dog will bite you when you put all your bags on the floor after a cruise because he knows it will not be long until you leave him at the kennel again. You will even start to ask the cruise line if they have a high school graduation program for your children as they might spend an excess amount of time with you.

So yes it will get much much worse as all addictions do.

ok, this is eerie.....

-SWOM already knew what picture I had on my desktop

-we are selling the house (hopefully before October) and the dog has been very jittery since we got back, just as POTSTECH warned

This must be part of the process while getting hooked on sailing!!

-Kaybeeeeeee…a fellow Canuck suffering this extended winter (that’s why we sailed in February too!)….I thought Wiarton Willie called for an early spring??

I had a file of info from these boards of things to try, do, and bring for our 1st cruise (eg.Ultimate Balcony Dining, getting to port a day early and staying a day later, and clothes pins for the shower). I even got to swim with the dolphins!! but I totally forgot about buying Future Cruise credits:o

I’d better get with the 12 ship – sorry, 12 step program in a hurry. Thanks for taking the time to write! I think I’ve found a new home here. The number of cruises all of you have taken is staggering…..maybe we should have started cruising earlier!

Much worse. Much Much WORSE

So bad you will wonder what the ramifications of selling your home and car to take your next cruise. You will wonder if your kids will miss you for 7 days or 10 days or even 14 days while you are on a cruise. Your job will suffer as you spend time trying to convince your coworkers to go with you next time. Your relations with other family members will suffer because you are doing something they want to do. Your dog will bite you when you put all your bags on the floor after a cruise because he knows it will not be long until you leave him at the kennel again. You will even start to ask the cruise line if they have a high school graduation program for your children as they might spend an excess amount of time with you.

So yes it will get much much worse as all addictions do.

haha I just sold my house. Not for the cruise, although that is a happy side benefit. =)

One thing I noticed about cruising is that going on a 9 day last May completely spoiled me for anything less. Before cruising we had only gone on 7 day AI vacations ... but after experiencing a 9 day I don't think I could ever go back to less!

Our next one is 10 days southern in April ... can't wait!

CruiseNewbie;

If you're looking to cruise in the fall you might consider the Mediterranean. Weather there is much more pleasant and crowds are thin compared to the summer.

We've been in the Caribbean in September and found the heat and humidity overwhelming, especially at night. Too hot to leave the balcony door open at night and too hot to use balcony if the sun is shining on it during the day. Of course, living out here in the North Atlantic means we're not accustomed to 30 C at any time.

We've also dodged hurricanes and once had itinerary switched to Western Caribbean from Eastern. Katrina that time. Roughest seas we have experienced was San Diego to Hawaii in December. We were getting spray from the bow on our balcony near the back of the ship.

Regarding the addiction, we usually have one or two cruises planned at all times.

Archived