They told me this would happen....

CruisinNewbie2010

So yes it will get much much worse as all addictions do.

At its worst you will start equating everything you purchase (or consider purchasing) to (our favorite currency): people days on a cruise ship. This is the detailingly calculated average of the 13 weeks we spent cruising between November and February this past year. Yes, we have a spreadsheet, and it even includes an "all inclusive" calculation (with air, pre-cruise hotel, and insurance), and an "incremental" calculation (just the cruise, tips, and, in our case, soda stickers). Everything in our life is compared to these figures:

-Seeing Elton John live in concert next month: Nose bleed seats: 4 people days on a cruise; good seats: 12 people days on a cruise; great seats: an entire 7 day cruise for 2 people.

-Skiing for one day in the mountains (no overnight): 4 people days on a cruise; two days with an overnight: 14 people days on a cruise

-Attending the Albuquerque balloon festival (with travel and overnights): 10 people days on a cruise

-New stove and dishwasher for home: 24 people days on a cruise

-Full granite counters in kitchen as well as new stove and dishwasher (this tradeoff really hurts one of us): an entire winter season cruising

You get the idea. Every purchase has a cruise currency (people days on a cruise ship). Every purchase is carefully considered in terms of how much we'd have to cut back on our cruises.

It's a hard, hard world. ;)

Also you will find yourself seeing food you want then saying "Wait it will taste better on the ship so I won't eat it now". Or you will start looking at pictures and saying that I can go there if I just take this cruise with this cruise line. When is this stupid house ever going to sell.

Have fun and enjoy.

We went to the Mediterranean in October and the weather was fabulous. A little hot, but really nice. We had one drizzly day in Rome but it was otherwise perfect.

We went to the Caribbean from San Juan in mid-November. The waters were calm. I don't get seasick, so I don't notice much anyway; however, my husband did say it was pretty rocky one night (when I thought it was a calmer night). Weather was perfect expect for one day of rain in Barbados.

Book that baby and have a great time! Besides, if you're too worried, you can always get travel insurance. Or avoid paying deposits on cruise excursions until you know for sure you will be in port.

omg, does that mean I'm going to get worse?? LOL

Another symptom that will manifest itself: you will no longer buy any item of apparel without mentally evaluating how and when you will wear it on a cruise. As well as the obvious swimsuits and sundresses and shorts and cocktail attire, this calculus will extend to shoes, purses, and lingerie. It even goes for hair accessories. I spent a rather too-long time in Nordstrom the other day, debating between some different colours/styles of hair clasps: the subdued "professional" ones I went in specifically looking for and the fun, sparkly ones for evenings onboard. Yes, I ended up buying both.

Another symptom that will manifest itself: you will no longer buy any item of apparel without mentally evaluating how and when you will wear it on a cruise. As well as the obvious swimsuits and sundresses and shorts and cocktail attire, this calculus will extend to shoes, purses, and lingerie. It even goes for hair accessories. I spent a rather too-long time in Nordstrom the other day, debating between some different colours/styles of hair clasps: the subdued "professional" ones I went in specifically looking for and the fun, sparkly ones for evenings onboard. Yes, I ended up buying both.

You really hit the nail on the head with this one! Every time I go shopping I think about how it will look on my cruise! I did this a couple years ago and bought everything months in advance. Nice, but I gained 15 pounds and had to go out and buy stuff all over again! This time I'm back on a weight loss program, so I'm going to put off clothes buying (except for shoes, of course). All of the summer stuff will be on sale the month before the cruise, and this is great. But that doesn't stop me from planning and dreaming.

No matter what I do, I relate it to my next cruise!

Maureen

Damn, this is quite a serious disease! We were warned but nothing prepared us for this!!

Ha, love the way you describe these "symptoms" and side effects! Now I'm thinking that since we're going to have to fly to any embarkation port anyway, we might as well aim for a 9 or 10 day cruise to relieve the pain, ha!

I can relate to the clothes problems. I left it too late for our 1st cruise - try shopping for a bathing suit or shorts in January, in Canada!

We booked our last cruise while onboard the previous one. We usually make an open booking deposit to get our future cruise credits, but on our August cruise, we knew exactly which cruise we wanted to go on next. Generally, however, we don't book until after the final payment date. Booking months in advance means a long, long wait.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their ideas. It seems the decision has been taken out of our hands as our youngest son just told us we were going to be first-time grandparents around the same time as the Emerald is pulling out of Ft. Lauderdale!!! Best reason in the world to cancel holiday plans even if it is a cruise, IMO. Two days later our eldest son walked in and announced he was engaged! We asked him to set the wedding date after we've picked our next cruise, lol.....

Archived