A note to long time HAL cruisers

SmokinActuary

Is there a pattern here? It seems like a number of ships there have been some temperature control issues (and with everything mechanical something can always happen). When it happens on Prinsendam, it's a quirky ship. If it happens on any other ship then it's an old bucket of bolts and HAL just doesn't care about maintaining it. Could it be that Prinsendam attracts a group of people who are focused more on the big picture and care more about spectacular ports than the occasional need for a sweater or a fan?

SomkinActuary, the kids will grow up and the time for a longer cruise will eventually make it's way into your life.

Roy

Roy,

I was on the same NA cruise as Kazu. I love to play Texas Hold'em and it was so cold at the table that I took to wearing my fall jacket (with hood) and my Irish wool shawl. :D Sometimes the cards were "cold" too.

Carole

Is there a pattern here? It seems like a number of ships there have been some temperature control issues (and with everything mechanical something can always happen). When it happens on Prinsendam, it's a quirky ship. If it happens on any other ship then it's an old bucket of bolts and HAL just doesn't care about maintaining it. Could it be that Prinsendam attracts a group of people who are focused more on the big picture and care more about spectacular ports than the occasional need for a sweater or a fan?

Those who cruise on the Prinsendam -- and, most particularly, repeatedly cruise aboard her and love her -- tend to be people who understand that the ship is a vehicle at sea, and one that is in constant use, and that things like this happen to heavily used vehicles at sea. Those who sail the Prinsendam also do so knowing that she's an older, smaller, less "advanced" vessel, for which they have great appreciation; indeed, this is one of the specific reasons they chose to cruise aboard her. (All of the above is true for me). Indeed, I know people who select her for a cruise with minimal thought to the ports of call ... they just want to sail aboard her.

Those who tend to inordinately whine and complain about such matters regarding other ships do not seem to realize that they're on a MOVING ship that is in constant use; they also tend to view the ship and/or the ocean voyage itself as secondary or tertiary to the ports of call, the parties aboard, and the itinerary in general. Hence, when mechanical issues strike -- and they do, even on the youngest ships -- they whine the more loudly.

The ship may be constantly moving but in all our cruises on Crystal, Princess, HAL, Celebrity, Carnival, and NCL etc we have never had any HVAC issues or frankly any other cabin issues that impacted our enjoyment. Maybe we have been lucky.

I am certain that it is a wonderful ship but I have to think that given the per diems that HAL would at least ensure that the plant and equipment was up to snuff. We, unfortunately, have not been able to experience this ship. But, based on the feedback and on the per diems I think we would would pass in favor of moving up to a Regent or a similar premium class ship.

It is obvious that this must be a much loved and popular ship because of the repeat passengers. If it was not, people would be voting with their feet and HAL would be forced to make the necessary improvements to the ship. As long as it is sailing full and at close to full retail so to speak, there is no incentive to make changes.

My first cruise was aboard Oosterdam - I returned a year later and enjoyed it, but right now I rather doubt that I'll go back to her again...

...and as much as I enjoy Noordam - that's the only one of the 4 Vistas and 2 Signatures that I intend to return to.

After this next HAL cruise, I'll likely stick w/ the smaller ships (but not Veendam) They're so much easier to get around, the clientelle are different, the voyages are more exotic...

...plus the staterooms are larger and can accommodate my overpacking tendencies better. :o

I find the comments interesting: With so many other lines, folks often tend to graduate up to the newer, larger ships...

...and w/ HAL its almost the exact opposite: Folks often start w/ the larger ships and graduate to the older, smaller ships.

Those who tend to inordinately whine and complain about such matters regarding other ships do not seem to realize that they're on a MOVING ship that is in constant use; they also tend to view the ship and/or the ocean voyage itself as secondary or tertiary to the ports of call, the parties aboard, and the itinerary in general. Hence, when mechanical issues strike -- and they do, even on the youngest ships -- they whine the more loudly.

I have been following Captain Albert Schoonderbeek's blog and that has given me a real appreciation of all that goes on during a voyage. Now that he is on the Prinsedam it should get really interesting.

I think you should view all long voyages as travel not tourism. Your viewpoint should be quite a bit different from the 7 to 14 day vacation.

I find the comments interesting: With so many other lines, folks often tend to graduate up to the newer, larger ships...

...and w/ HAL its almost the exact opposite: Folks often start w/ the larger ships and graduate to the older, smaller ships.

That is exactly my wife's and I intent, Brian. Our interest is in being on the sea, and I would imagine the REALLY large ships really disconnect you from that experience.

I've been sailing since 1959. My first interest is interesting ports, and I generally pick a cruise that offers that. Now that I have more time to get away, I will choose HAL's smaller ships. I leave on the Rotterdam in about three weeks for 30 days, and I'm booked on the Prinsendam to the Amazon in 2012. I sure hope she's still sailing then. I don't need MUTS (Movies Under the Stars) or multiple alternative dining venues. I want a ship that looks like a ship!

I was on the Noodam transatlantic in 2009, and it was one of, if not THE happiest ship I've ever sailed on, so I will never say never. But generally, I'd rather be closer to the ocean than 12 decks up. As for maintenance issues, I was on a Panama Canal cruise on the Veendam in 1999 when she lost a couple of engines and we missed at least one port because of that. She was a new ship at that time. Also, maintenance work was being done as we sailed because the A/C was absolutely frigid. So old or new, things can happen. Would I sail on the Veendam again? You betcha I would. I just keep praying that HAL doesn't sell off the Prinsendam without replacing it with a similar size ship.

Archived