A note to long time HAL cruisers

SmokinActuary

At this point in my life, the itineraries that the Vista/Signature class ships are all I am able to do at this point in my life. But if my travels on these ships help subsidize the smaller ships I would be all the more happy for it.

I was tracking the Prinsedam on CruiseTT and I would love to eventually try to get on that ship or a potential successor.

Thank you for supporting the samller ships :) We're heading back to them.

The vistas are ok, but did not compare to my experience on the Rotterdam so it's back to the smaller guys. We're trying the Prisendam for the first time and the Maasdam after that :) Suggest you try the Prisendam before there is no Prisendam (she's 22 years old I believe) :D

While we, too, much prefer the smaller ships - the Vista Class ones hold a special place in our hearts, and we don't hesitate to sail on them. Our very first HAL cruise was just 7 days on the Westerdam, and it was our one truly perfect cruise.

We had the good fortune of being on the lovely Prinsendam for our first Mediterranean cruise (only our 2nd with Holland America Lines) and didn't know how lucky we really were. It was a wonderful experience, travelling on such a small ship being able to get into ports where the larger ships were having to tender their passengers while we sailed right up to the docks. After the 2nd day we felt we knew a great deal of the staff, and they were greeting us like old friends when we met in the public areas. We wouldn't have ordinarily booked the Prinsendam, but we received a brochure in the mail and we felt the time and the price were both right for us. If you look around and check with Holland America from time to time, you may find the price is right for you to cruise the seas onboard the Prinsendam as well.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

At this point in my life, the itineraries that the Vista/Signature class ships are all I am able to do at this point in my life. But if my travels on these ships help subsidize the smaller ships I would be all the more happy for it.

I was tracking the Prinsedam on CruiseTT and I would love to eventually try to get on that ship or a potential successor.

Do you mind my asking, is your limitation financial or scheduling? Don't want to pry but I just wasn't sure.

Roy

The vistas are ok, but did not compare to my experience on the Rotterdam so it's back to the smaller guys. We're trying the Prisendam for the first time and the Maasdam after that :) Suggest you try the Prisendam before there is no Prisendam (she's 22 years old I believe) :D

kazu,

That was part of our thinking when we booked the Prinsendam for the Amazon Expedition last November. "Elegant Explorer" truly fits the old girl. A bit "quircky at times, but eminently satisfying.

Ray in NH

Do you mind my asking, is your limitation financial or scheduling? Don't want to pry but I just wasn't sure.

Roy

Mainly scheduling as I have a daughter who is 13. There are also financial restrictions as I have college to save for. :-)

I don't know if I would ever to be able to afford a 100 day cruise, but perhaps a 20 day cruise would be possible.

one could argue that there is no longer a prinsendam, since she had her 'butt job'.

that being said, after sinking all that money into the ship she will be around for a while.

At the Mariner's luncheon on my recent Maasdam cruise the Captain asked the group whether they preferred the smaller ships, like the Maasdam, or the Vista class, and the response was overwhelming for the smaller ships. I was in the luncheon for the more experienced cruisers on HAl so I don't know whether he got the same reaction at the 2nd luncheon for those with fewer HAL cruises but he seemed surprised at our response and enthusiasm for the smaller ships.

By the way I also am a small ship fan and have also been looking at the Prinsendam as well as some of the more upscale lines that have smaller ships.

Have a great next cruise.

We will have our first cruise on one of the smaller ships here in a few weeks and we are really looking forwards to it. Well, let me not kid myself, we are about to jump out of our skins with anticipation for a multitude of reasons. :D It will definitely determine which of the beauties we sail on next year as there are very similar cruises available but one is on a Vista and one is on an S class.

kazu,

That was part of our thinking when we booked the Prinsendam for the Amazon Expedition last November. "Elegant Explorer" truly fits the old girl. A bit "quircky at times, but eminently satisfying.

Ray in NH

ok Ray, you have me tantalized - what do you mean by quircky at times? Just had to ask ;)

Jacqui

ok Ray, you have me tantalized - what do you mean by quircky at times? Just had to ask ;)

Jacqui

We will jump-in cause the topic is fun. On our last Prinsendam cruise we had the expected quirks. When we were scheduled to depart from the pier in NYC the ship did not move. Why? Because, according to Captain Gundersen, they could not get one of their auxillary engines (required for maneuvering in New York Harbor) to start. Finally, about 1 1/2 hours late the engine did start (with a puff of black smoke up the stack) and off we went. When we got to FLL we were again delayed as they were doing major maintenance on that engine. And then we had the Crows Nest where on a few evenings everyone was bundled in blankets because it was freezing. A few days later it was much too hot and everyone was sweating. And than there was our cabin where the readin lights actually starting falling off the wall (one of the crew finally re-welded the lights). To us, it's all part of the charm of this older ship that seems to have its own wonderful style.

Hank

I will pass on that type of 'charm' when we are paying top dollar. Ship maintenance, or lack thereof, or 'charm' is one of the attributes that concern us whenever we consider booking a HAL cruise on one of their older ships.

We've been fortunate to sail in all classes of HAL ships. I like them all for what each offers. Yes, the Prinsendam is special. Sailed her twice and would love to again. She's a bit pricey for me, though, to enjoy very often.

we would love to cruise on the prinsendam -- but unfortunately she only comes over to the us around christmas -- and that is one time of the year we like to be home

and with health issues we can not fly around the world like we used to

I'm the same way. There is a cruise that I'm really interested in but it goes around the end of Nov. until a few days before Xmas. Who can do that? They'd have a cow at work if I went that close to year end and how do you get ready for Xmas?

I have found that I really like every class of HAL ship ... but I do have my favorites. I prefer the smaller vessels, hence the S & R ships are my favorites. I really loved the Amsterdam, the Rotterdam, and the Ryndam. I haven't been on the Massdam in 11 years, so I really can't say about her any longer but I remember I was very taken with her when I cruised on her in 1999 and 2000.

Of the Vistas, my favorite ship is the Noordam. They got that class of ship right when they built her. I especially like the Vistas and Signature ships for their Northern Lights Disco and for the midships Pinnacle with views to the outside world. I also loved the Eurodam for her Tamarind and Silk Den. VERY NICE.

The Prinsendam, as Jim says, is special ... by far she's my favorite ship in the fleet for quality of service, decor, and deck configurations. I love her smaller size and her, commensurate, more intimate feel. However, I must say, I prefer the inside and outside staterooms on the S, R, Vista & Signature ships over that category of cabin on the Prinsendam. My largest problem with sailing on the Prinsendam is the length of her itineraries. 3+ weeks can be hard for me to manage except on very special occasions. However, I hope to cruise on her at least once more while she's with the fleet. She's worth the premium price tag.

All though a newbie to HAL we are experienced cruisers.Our first cruise on HAL was the Amsterdam 14 Night Alaska cruise,loved the ship and the intinerary as well as service and staff in general.Just got off the Westerdam Friday and although the itinerary couldn't compare ,we loved this ship as well especially our aft Balcony. It is more about itinerary for us; the ship is secondary.I have never been on a cruise I did not like. Next is the Maasdam Canada/New England.Hope to get a Lanai Cabin.

We will jump-in cause the topic is fun. On our last Prinsendam cruise we had the expected quirks. When we were scheduled to depart from the pier in NYC the ship did not move. Why? Because, according to Captain Gundersen, they could not get one of their auxillary engines (required for maneuvering in New York Harbor) to start. Finally, about 1 1/2 hours late the engine did start (with a puff of black smoke up the stack) and off we went. When we got to FLL we were again delayed as they were doing major maintenance on that engine. And then we had the Crows Nest where on a few evenings everyone was bundled in blankets because it was freezing. A few days later it was much too hot and everyone was sweating. And than there was our cabin where the readin lights actually starting falling off the wall (one of the crew finally re-welded the lights). To us, it's all part of the charm of this older ship that seems to have its own wonderful style.

Hank

Thanks very much Hank - I think i can cope with that :D

I'm looking forward to her :)

Jacqui

Is there a pattern here? It seems like a number of ships there have been some temperature control issues (and with everything mechanical something can always happen). When it happens on Prinsendam, it's a quirky ship. If it happens on any other ship then it's an old bucket of bolts and HAL just doesn't care about maintaining it. Could it be that Prinsendam attracts a group of people who are focused more on the big picture and care more about spectacular ports than the occasional need for a sweater or a fan?

SomkinActuary, the kids will grow up and the time for a longer cruise will eventually make it's way into your life.

Roy

Is there a pattern here? It seems like a number of ships there have been some temperature control issues (and with everything mechanical something can always happen). When it happens on Prinsendam, it's a quirky ship. If it happens on any other ship then it's an old bucket of bolts and HAL just doesn't care about maintaining it. Could it be that Prinsendam attracts a group of people who are focused more on the big picture and care more about spectacular ports than the occasional need for a sweater or a fan?

SomkinActuary, the kids will grow up and the time for a longer cruise will eventually make it's way into your life.

Roy

Roy, In all fairness, temperature control issues can be seen on any ship - including the newest one. (and we did encounter some on the NA) I don't see it as an issue unless it is really out of control and unbearable.

For us, the Prisendam offers a fabulous experience and tremendous ports. I don't have a problem putting on a shawl or sweater if needed for a couple of nights :)

Jacqui

Archived