First time on RCI/Explorer/9 nts

disgal

Hello everyone. Hoping you can give me some advice/opinions.

We have only gone on one other cruise and that was a 4 nt Disney. I know a ton about that one but with 9 nts and 4 ports of call, not knowing about Explorer is the least of the problems I have. lol

Questions:

1. Could someone just list for me the restaurants that are free on the ship? Are they just the MDR, the Windjammer and room service? is there a place by the pool for lunch or something?

2. We will be in Kings Wharf(Bermuda), San Juan, Phillipsburg(st Maarten), Charlotte Amalie(st thomas).........are any of these places tendering ports or do we not have to worry about that for these four?

3. We had late seating on Disney which we really didn't mind for our family of 5 (kids aged 18, 15 11) but this time my sis, who has cruised with RCI about 11 times, said we should choose anytime dinning so I chose 7:30. I'm under the impression we can change that if we want from day to day? How do I do that and where do I do that?

4. We want to dine at Portofino.....we want to take our graduating senior with us to Portofino. Can I make reservations for this online or do I wait to get on the ship? Is 2 hours a long enough time for this? just wanted to be able to tell our other kids (we're also traveling with another family so they will probably be with them).

5. I know this isn't the "ports of call" board but I would just like to ask your opinion on beaches for Bermuda, St thomas and St Maarten....we would like to steer clear of the nude beaches. ;)

TIA for all of your help to this newbie!! :)

We have only gone on one other cruise and that was a 4 nt Disney. I know a ton about that one but with 9 nts and 4 ports of call, not knowing about Explorer is the least of the problems I have. lol

Questions:

1. Could someone just list for me the restaurants that are free on the ship? Are they just the MDR, the Windjammer and room service? is there a place by the pool for lunch or something? There isn't anywhere near the pool area for lunch. The Windjammer is the closest place to grab something. Or else you can go down to Deck 5 Promenade to get a sandwich or pizza too.

2. We will be in Kings Wharf(Bermuda), San Juan, Phillipsburg(st Maarten), Charlotte Amalie(st thomas).........are any of these places tendering ports or do we not have to worry about that for these four? None of these places are tendering ports. You will dock at each place.

3. We had late seating on Disney which we really didn't mind for our family of 5 (kids aged 18, 15 11) but this time my sis, who has cruised with RCI about 11 times, said we should choose anytime dinning so I chose 7:30. I'm under the impression we can change that if we want from day to day? How do I do that and where do I do that? I believe with MTD you can request the same time for dinner each night or call each day for a different time.

4. We want to dine at Portofino.....we want to take our graduating senior with us to Portofino. Can I make reservations for this online or do I wait to get on the ship? Is 2 hours a long enough time for this? just wanted to be able to tell our other kids (we're also traveling with another family so they will probably be with them). You can make the reservation on Royal's website or I would recommend on boarding day, going to make your reservation first thing. Dinner does take almost 2 hours because of the different courses.

5. I know this isn't the "ports of call" board but I would just like to ask your opinion on beaches for Bermuda, St thomas and St Maarten....we would like to steer clear of the nude beaches. ;) Bermuda: Horseshoe Bay Beach is popular or Elbow Beach too. St Thomas: there a few and I can only recommend the two we have been to; Megan's Bay which is gorgeous and has all the amenities (bathrooms, showers, restaurant). The other is Emerald Beach which is not far from the pier in town not the pier you will docking at. Again gorgeous beach and has all the amenities too. St Maarten: our favorite beach is Orient Beach. We've been there several times and I'm a little biased. A lot of people like the beach near the airport to see the planes fly directly overhead too.

I hope that helps you out....have a great cruise!

thank you, Annefran....:)

ok, I thought the promenade cafes/restaurants were extra. Not true? Boy, I've got a lot to learn. lol

Can you go into the Windjammer for lunch with your bathing suit and cover up on? or do you have to be dressed in say, shorts, t-shirts or something?

Orient beach.....I've read it's pretty windy there and not so great for swimming. A few of us are big ocean swimmers so that would be disappointing. And seeing a plane or two wouldn't be bad but I've seen video of that beach with the airplanes......I think that would get old and not geared toward relaxation. And is Orient beach the one down from the nudist beach? I can't remember....maybe I'm thinking Megan's Bay?

any other opinions guys?

We are going on this same cruise the end of May and cannot wait.

The restaurants that are an extra fee are Portofino and Johnny Rockets. All others are included.

On our last cruise, we went to Oriental Beach. It is my favorite and I cannot wait to go back. Did not have any problems with wind. Water is very clear. Only down side was there were sting rays so you had to shuffle your feet so you don't step on them. The south end of the beach is the nudist area.

We are planning to go to Magen's Bay in St. Thomas and Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda.

Hey disgal, when are you going? We are on the June 23rd Explorer of the Seas 9 night. We did the same cruise last summer and had a great time! Annefran answered your questions very well. We loved MTD and had a 6:30 standing reservation. It was easy emough to change to a later time when we were in St. Martin. We had the same table and servers every night. Servioce was awesome and we were finished in plenty of time to get the kids to Adventure Ocean and us to the shows.

Check out the Roll Call sub forum for the Explorer. There is bound to be an ongoing thread with fellow CC members going on the same cruise! Sign up for the meet & Mingle too and have a great time!

Eric

Questions:

1. Could someone just list for me the restaurants that are free on the ship? Are they just the MDR, the Windjammer and room service? is there a place by the pool for lunch or something?

2. We will be in Kings Wharf(Bermuda), San Juan, Phillipsburg(st Maarten), Charlotte Amalie(st thomas).........are any of these places tendering ports or do we not have to worry about that for these four?

3. We had late seating on Disney which we really didn't mind for our family of 5 (kids aged 18, 15 11) but this time my sis, who has cruised with RCI about 11 times, said we should choose anytime dinning so I chose 7:30. I'm under the impression we can change that if we want from day to day? How do I do that and where do I do that?

4. We want to dine at Portofino.....we want to take our graduating senior with us to Portofino. Can I make reservations for this online or do I wait to get on the ship? Is 2 hours a long enough time for this? just wanted to be able to tell our other kids (we're also traveling with another family so they will probably be with them).

5. I know this isn't the "ports of call" board but I would just like to ask your opinion on beaches for Bermuda, St thomas and St Maarten....we would like to steer clear of the nude beaches. ;)

Windjammer is on the same deck as the pool deck, you can grab your lunch there and bring it back to your lounge chair. There is nothing right outside at the pool area. You can wear a cover-up and flip flops.

No tender ports.

For MTD Im under the impression you can make your reservation for whatever time for the next day, before you leave dinner the night before.

Take all your kids to portofino and share the memory.

if you have never been to Bermuda, go to Horseshoe bay beach (I think the #5 pink bus. You can buy a bus/ferry pass on board at the excursions desk- go on boarding day, they sell out fast. they can be purchased right at kings wharf as well.) there are other beautiful beaches on Bermuda, depends on what you want to do for the entire day, how far you want to travel, what else you want to see, etc)

St Thomas, if you have never been go to Magens bay. Last time we rented a JEEP and drover over to Sapphire beach- loved it! There is a lot to do on SxT.

As for St Maarten, ORIENT beach is known to be the nude beach, but on SxM, you might find topless on any beach. Again, depends on exactly what you are looking for....I have lots of files with info on all of these ports...ask away.

cruisedivanj

We are going on this same cruise the end of May and cannot wait.

The restaurants that are an extra fee are Portofino and Johnny Rockets. All others are included.

On our last cruise, we went to Oriental Beach. It is my favorite and I cannot wait to go back. Did not have any problems with wind. Water is very clear. Only down side was there were sting rays so you had to shuffle your feet so you don't step on them. The south end of the beach is the nudist area.

We are planning to go to Magen's Bay in St. Thomas and Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda.

memparrot, thank you.

So the Irish pub is free? what about a place to get really good coffee? You know, like a cappuccino or something....of course, I'm sure you pay for that I just haven't heard of where you can get it.

Ok, don't laugh, but I've read where some on the nudist side don't have a problem walking down thru the "other" side.....lol...really, if it were just me and DH I don't think I would care that much but with an 11 year old son I really don't want to go there, ya know? hahaha heck, I don't even want to do that to my DD's. But i've heard Orient beach is the nice one so I want to go. Maybe I'll just take the chance.

We are planning to go to the same places you are on the islands. Are you all going to take the bus to Horseshoe? I think that's our plan. What restaurants are there, do you know? Should we get there pronto to be able to rent a chair/umbrella?

Hey disgal, when are you going? We are on the June 23rd Explorer of the Seas 9 night. We did the same cruise last summer and had a great time! Annefran answered your questions very well. We loved MTD and had a 6:30 standing reservation. It was easy emough to change to a later time when we were in St. Martin. We had the same table and servers every night. Servioce was awesome and we were finished in plenty of time to get the kids to Adventure Ocean and us to the shows.

Check out the Roll Call sub forum for the Explorer. There is bound to be an ongoing thread with fellow CC members going on the same cruise! Sign up for the meet & Mingle too and have a great time!

Eric

We are on the August 4th sailing. Four nights with Disney was just too short so I am really looking forward to 9! I forgot about the shows! When do they usually start? 8? 9? I might want to move up our time unless it's a day we're in port and need more time. Thanks! Glad to hear you liked it. :)

Windjammer is on the same deck as the pool deck, you can grab your lunch there and bring it back to your lounge chair. There is nothing right outside at the pool area. You can wear a cover-up and flip flops.

No tender ports.

For MTD Im under the impression you can make your reservation for whatever time for the next day, before you leave dinner the night before.

Take all your kids to portofino and share the memory.

if you have never been to Bermuda, go to Horseshoe bay beach (I think the #5 pink bus. You can buy a bus/ferry pass on board at the excursions desk- go on boarding day, they sell out fast. they can be purchased right at kings wharf as well.) there are other beautiful beaches on Bermuda, depends on what you want to do for the entire day, how far you want to travel, what else you want to see, etc)

St Thomas, if you have never been go to Magens bay. Last time we rented a JEEP and drover over to Sapphire beach- loved it! There is a lot to do on SxT.

As for St Maarten, ORIENT beach is known to be the nude beach, but on SxM, you might find topless on any beach. Again, depends on exactly what you are looking for....I have lots of files with info on all of these ports...ask away.

cruisedivanj

Ok, you're a real gem!! :) Yes, info, info on the beaches of St Maarten. Sounds like I will just have to give a warning to the fam. We are traveling with another couple and I think they would be even more uncomfortable than us so I don't know. Is there a beach hotel we can go to and rent chairs that might be better? My sis has been so maybe I'll ask her too. That's what they usually do. Anything other than beaches a must do for St. Maarten?

TIA

Sorry, forgot to ask.........I thought you had to be 18 to eat at Portofino. No?

I have done my time dining as well as regular dining and it works great. You can have a different dining time each night if you want. You can tell them at dinner each night what time you are coming the next day or call them. If you plan on doing any shows I don't recomment 7:30 as most shows start at 7 and 9 but I'm not sure on that ship of exact times. Unless your a quick diner I would go for 7 to give some extra time. Just my opinion. Have a great time.

Triena

memparrot, thank you.

So the Irish pub is free? what about a place to get really good coffee? You know, like a cappuccino or something....of course, I'm sure you pay for that I just haven't heard of where you can get it.

Ok, don't laugh, but I've read where some on the nudist side don't have a problem walking down thru the "other" side.....lol...really, if it were just me and DH I don't think I would care that much but with an 11 year old son I really don't want to go there, ya know? hahaha heck, I don't even want to do that to my DD's. But i've heard Orient beach is the nice one so I want to go. Maybe I'll just take the chance.

We are planning to go to the same places you are on the islands. Are you all going to take the bus to Horseshoe? I think that's our plan. What restaurants are there, do you know? Should we get there pronto to be able to rent a chair/umbrella?

The pub does not serve food; we usually stake out chairs and then get food at the Promenade Cafe. Regular coffee is free at the cafe but I do believe they have specialty coffees for a fee. Bon Voyage!

I have done my time dining as well as regular dining and it works great. You can have a different dining time each night if you want. You can tell them at dinner each night what time you are coming the next day or call them. If you plan on doing any shows I don't recomment 7:30 as most shows start at 7 and 9 but I'm not sure on that ship of exact times. Unless your a quick diner I would go for 7 to give some extra time. Just my opinion. Have a great time.

Triena

thank you, Triena. Yes, that is what I was thinking too. Have you been to a show(?) called Quest? I've been reading some posts but they never explain it. Is it for the whole family?

The pub does not serve food; we usually stake out chairs and then get food at the Promenade Cafe. Regular coffee is free at the cafe but I do believe they have specialty coffees for a fee. Bon Voyage!

oh, gheesh! pfft.....lol, I didn't know that. Oh, well, we were a little excited about getting fish and chips but....I guess we can skip that one. ;)

Is there something for breakfast/lunch/dinner? or is it a sporadic type thing?

oh, gheesh! pfft.....lol, I didn't know that. Oh, well, we were a little excited about getting fish and chips but....I guess we can skip that one. ;)

ETA: sorry, the last question is directed toward the Cafe Prom.

ok, i just read this in a review done in December..........

FOOD BY THE POOL?--not any more

remember the days of hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, and pizza at the poolside grills? Well on this boat there were no poolside grills--you have to go into windjammers (the buffet) and there are not bathing suits allowed, so you can't come from the pool and eat. I had a coverup on that amounted to a short dress and they told me I couldn't enter unless my dress was longer or I had shorts on. I understand this in a restaurant, but give me an option by the pool!!

ok, if this is true, my family's going to have a problem. :confused:

Taking a family cruise on the 9 day Explorer cruise leaving 5/26. We have a roll call going.

Have been to Bermuda before and only having 1 day in port this time Horseshoe Bay is probably going to be our best bet as it is wide, it is large and it is beautiful.

On St. Maarten Orient Beach is known as the place where my college age daughter described her visit there as "Those who shouldn't, do".

DW and I spent a very nice day at the Divi Little Bay Beach Resort on our trip in Jan 2010. All beaches in St. Maarten are free to the public so they must grant you access to the beach thru their property. It is a $4 p/p each way fixed fare taxi ride from the pier. It is a family oriented beach. Umbrellas and chairs available for rental. Food and drinks are available and most importantly they have rest room facilities for DW.

Can't say much about St. Thomas. DW and I always went over to St. John for a stay at Trunk Bay. Plus we enjoyed the trip over on the ferry (don't miss Eric Clapton's and Michael Jordan's houses!). I think this tiime DD's and DW are planning to swim with the turtles. Of course DW always thinks that a trip to Diamonds International just to get a trinket is a required part of the cruise. I keep telling her that the cruise line gets a kickback from them, but so far it has not detered her single-minded quest for El Dorado.

San Juan you only have a short stay so best to just tour Old San Juan and see the Forts.

Enjoy your cruise.

thank you, Triena. Yes, that is what I was thinking too. Have you been to a show(?) called Quest? I've been reading some posts but they never explain it. Is it for the whole family?

Definitely not. Unless you want your 11 year old son wearing a middle aged woman's bra.

On St. Maarten Orient Beach is known as the place where my college age daughter described her visit there as "Those who shouldn't, do".

ok, now THAT is funny. :p Sounds like my DD18.

That hotel sounds like a great deal. I assume there is something there to get to eat?

remember the days of hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, and pizza at the poolside grills? Well on this boat there were no poolside grills--you have to go into windjammers (the buffet) and there are not bathing suits allowed, so you can't come from the pool and eat. I had a coverup on that amounted to a short dress and they told me I couldn't enter unless my dress was longer or I had shorts on. I understand this in a restaurant, but give me an option by the pool!!

First having food available right at the pool can be a problem especially with very young children, as the next thing you know the food is in the pool. (I love children but kids are kids, I had 2 of my own). RCI is trying to be a family friendly cruise line so they know their audience.

However there is a workaround, contrary to what the original poster insinuates which is no big deal.

The Windjammer is located on the same deck and right next to the pool areas. At worst you send a relay of 1 or 2 members of the family to bring food out to you while you are sitting in the pool area.

Second there are differences between a coverup which is waist high and a coverup which is more than that. Just get a longer coverup or have gym shorts and a t-shirt or a tennis skirt available to put over your bathing suit. This applies to both genders. Guys can't come in wearing their Speedo thongs either. Why do people make mountains out of molehills anyway? This is no biggie.

Personally I would love to see young shapely women wearing their bikinis sauntering around the Windjammer but DW objects, fearing that I might choke on some food while enjoying the scenery and she would have to perform the Heimlich manuver on me to salvage the rest of the cruise.

Most of all don't sweat the little things!!

If you really get stuck, go back to your cabin and order room service in your swim trunks. Just make sure you have one on when the order comes so the staffer does not drop your food, defeating the purpose of the whole exercise.

I have never gone hungry because of a lack of places on the ship to find food.

Enjoy your cruise despite the efforts of all the negatives that people try to impose on a wonderful experience.

cruisedivanj

How did you go about renting the jeep? My husband would LOVE that. We want to go to a couple beaches and also shop on St. Thomas.

We are just off nine nighter on explorer. only person we saw turned down to get in windjammer at lunch and even for breakfast didn't have shoes on. I had coverup over bathing suit and not a problem. just no bare chests. I saw this post you are referring to on another thread. that poster wasn't happy about anything. So excited for you. We love the Explorer and have been onboard many many times. Excellent crew. Many are like family to us. So great to see everyone smiling and saying hello. That goes along way in this day and age.

Food is available at the Promenade Cafe 24 hrs a day but selections vary. Not particularly strong on breakfast offerings but hey, pizza for breakfast is an old friend of mine:D.

oh, totally agree. some are just looking for problems.

And sorry, my question wasn't clear.......I was surprised by them not being admitted to the Windjammer with a coverup that was a short dress. I don't have a short cover up but it's def. above the knee so do you think that would be ok? I don't want anyone in their bathing suit either (and if you were MY DH, I might have to let you choke if you stared too long lol) but I find it surprising to make such a big deal of cover up length when you don't give many options to get lunch while you're at the pool. I mean, you're at the pool! :p Disney has a few places to get things that are right beside the pool. that just makes more sense to me. But no biggie, I just need to get everyone prepared.

ok, now THAT is funny. :p Sounds like my DD18.

That hotel sounds like a great deal. I assume there is something there to get to eat?

They have a Food shack there to get chicken sandwiches etc.

However on this trip our visit is from 12 noon to 9 P.M. Last trip DW and I were gone from the beach by 3 P.M. Maybe more food and adult drinks are available later in the afternoon at the hotel restaturant area which is right by the beach.

Oh don't forget to say Hello to the parrot who has been there for a very long time.

If food and drinks are a priority to you other posters go to the Holland Hotel which is right on Great Bay where the ship docks. You can get there by the water taxi. You can get full bar and food service there. However the water and beach do not compare favorablely to Little Bay.

Archived