using $ FairFX card to 'settle' onboard account?

lynnquenby

I'd be interested in anyone's experiences in using a $ FairFX card to settle their onboard account - specifically with NCL.

We are travelling on B2B cruises and having used a $ FairFX card on our last trip to the US I was thinking of using it to settle our account.

I understand that I won't be able to 'establish' our account with this card and that this will need to be done with a regular card, but I can't seem to get a definitive answer from the NCL board as to whether I will be able to actually use my card (which is a pre-paid card) to settle the account.

My main reason for doing this is there are no fees and the rates are better than they would be on a regular card, but if I can't get any re-assurances then it's just not worth the risk of being stuck with a significant amount of $'s on a card that might not get used in a while!!

Anyone ever done this? if so, how did this work for you?

Thanks in advance

We used our Travelex pre-paid US Dollar card on RCI recently without any problems. They would not accept it as credit card on account but accepted payment no problem. We settled our account at lunchtime on the last day just leaving the last nights charged to go on the Amex card. Saves a lot on the foreign transaction fees and we have used the pre-paid card everywhere we would have used credit card without any problem. Did have an issue reloading the card onboard due to the speed of the internet onboard but second time reload needed went to Starbucks and used their free wifi.

Pete & Carol

Thanks for the response! it's appreciated.

Looks like should be OK then.......as we're doing B2B we can always try at end of first week anf if no good suppose go and withdraw cash on middle saturday ;)

thanks again!

At one time Amex did these cards and we decided to use that instead of travellers cheques. We put $1000 on it and when we tried to use it on RCI it was refused. I must stress this was some time ago before these pre-paid cards became popular.

Archived