Hi All,

With 17 ships in the fleet I expect know one here could name

all the Cruise Directors, Hotel Managers etc,

However it is clear that Princess has been lucky in finding some real

super stars in its work force.

From time to time folks write about outstanding service and name

the person.

But it is a fact that folks will complain more and praise less when

asked what do you recall from your past cruises.

Now it is a free world here and folks have every right to complain

but what makes me wonder how come two folk on the same cruise

can say the worest CD every while the next says the best.

I think we should take a little bit more care when putting the knife into

some ones career. If they are so bad can we have some detail please

of what was wrong and an idea of what they could of done, or what you

wanted.

Now I am of on the high seas soon after my puppy break, I will try and

post live from the ship, if things are bad I will try and explain what

things are like so you can decide, if excellant likewise. I hope I will

never just post cruise from hell never going to cruise with Princess ever

again as this helps know one.

I still recall years ago posting from The Sun, we had noro bad, engine

issues, plumbing problems etc Folk were posting cruise ship from Hell

do not go etc, I posted what I saw or tried to.

After we got off the ship while waiting for a taxi in Ft L I saw folks with

Sun Princess Tags on the bags they saw ours so we started chatting they

said they were going to cancel as the reports had been so bad but they

had followed the posts of Shogun and decided to take the risk, afterwards

the lady posted not an outstanding cruise, but a good cruise, but they were

happy that they had gone. We have a lot of power here on these boards

to do good, help others and CC has helped me get more from cruising

Remember Princess does read these boards and does take note, and they

do talk about us.

yours shogun

Hi All,

With 17 ships in the fleet I expect know one here could name

all the Cruise Directors, Hotel Managers etc,

However it is clear that Princess has been lucky in finding some real

super stars in its work force.

From time to time folks write about outstanding service and name

the person.

But it is a fact that folks will complain more and praise less when

asked what do you recall from your past cruises.

Now it is a free world here and folks have every right to complain

but what makes me wonder how come two folk on the same cruise

can say the worest CD every while the next says the best.

I think we should take a little bit more care when putting the knife into

some ones career. If they are so bad can we have some detail please

of what was wrong and an idea of what they could of done, or what you

wanted.

Now I am of on the high seas soon after my puppy break, I will try and

post live from the ship, if things are bad I will try and explain what

things are like so you can decide, if excellant likewise. I hope I will

never just post cruise from hell never going to cruise with Princess ever

again as this helps know one.

I still recall years ago posting from The Sun, we had noro bad, engine

issues, plumbing problems etc Folk were posting cruise ship from Hell

do not go etc, I posted what I saw or tried to.

After we got off the ship while waiting for a taxi in Ft L I saw folks with

Sun Princess Tags on the bags they saw ours so we started chatting they

said they were going to cancel as the reports had been so bad but they

had followed the posts of Shogun and decided to take the risk, afterwards

the lady posted not an outstanding cruise, but a good cruise, but they were

happy that they had gone. We have a lot of power here on these boards

to do good, help others and CC has helped me get more from cruising

Remember Princess does read these boards and does take note, and they

do talk about us.

yours shogun

Brilliant post Shogun. Too much complaining these days.

Shogun

Thanks for saying what I believe sp strongly. I was almost ready to quit Cruisecritics because of all the negativity. Some members take the title Cruise Critics, too seriously and feel they can destroy everything in sight. After reading your entry I will stay online for a while. Thanks

Nicely said. I try to be positive in general, but especially where people in the "service profession" are concerned. I'm one of those rare people who actually calls or writes to make sure someone who provide exceptional service is recognized (more often than I report bad service.)

In my experience, we have received exceptional service from so many who work for Princess I have literally lost count. My poor hand is usually gnarled into a ball at the end of a cruise from writing so many "You Made a Difference" cards. ;) And I agree especially about posts here. They have an impact both on Princess and on fellow members, especially those new to cruising or to Princess. I try my best to be honest, and let people know of particular circumstances that some might find challenging, but I always do my best to highlight the positives, which in my experience is not hard where the Princess product and personnel are concerned.

We have actually truly become friends with staff members we've met on Princess ships, to the extent that we have met up with some on land. In fact, we are leaving early for our next cruise so that we will have a day to visit with a couple we met as service personnel on Princess ships (and with whom we have now sailed with several times now). And we are truly honored that they want to spend time during their vacation away from the ships with us, former passengers (they actually suggested it to us.) It means a lot.

As for the reviews, I understand that different people have different experiences, and perhaps different expectations, but as Shogun said, it has always amazed me how 2 posters on the same cruise can post such diametrically opposed reports of a cruise. I think a lot of it has to do with how people view the world in general. It never fails that, usually within the first hour of boarding a ship, we will run across someone somewhere who is already complaining about the service or the weather or the crowds or the stairs or the language barriers .... To me, it's the first hour of what I expect to be a wonderful vacation. Maybe I view my vacation through rose colored glasses, but I prefer it that way.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I just liked what was being said here.

Total agreement with SHOGUN here. CD Richard Joseph posted a list of a CD's daily grind (sorry ... I don't have the link handy, but it can be found easily). Most of the activities are behind the scenes, and leave very little time for other important things (like sleeping). The job has changed from the days of 600 passenger ships. Even the addition of a deputy CD doesn't quite cover the additional duties required for a 2600 passenger ship. Most passengers really don't have any contact with the crew (beyond the cabin steward, waiters and bar staff).

For most, the only view of the CD is on the morning show; many CDs are rather dreadful in this regard. But, that's only one facet of their many duties, and one can't/shouldn't judge them on this alone. Remember, every on-board entertainment activity is the CD's responsibility. Things go wrong, many of which are beyond his/her fault. (I remember a 2 week cruise many years ago where the lead singer came down with the flu after the production show on night 2. Alternate entertainment was always provided. A mash-up show was performed on night 14, featuring pieces of shows that could be performed without the lead singer. One creative CD who cared about his passengers.)

If a CD is really bad, Princess HQ will find out and take the appropriate actions.

Thank you Shogun for leading us into some nice positive posts - We have been highly pleased with Princess and especially with the hardworking staff, who have always been very pleasant and polite.

I totally agree! I remember considering canceling our first cruise because of the negative reviews. We were glad we didn't! It's all a matter of perspective! And very subjective!

As with most things in life - step back, take a breath, and don't sweat the small stuff! You will live a happier life and so will those around you!

Speaking of great crew members - a shout out to Ranjith, our favorite bar steward on the Island Princess! Already made sure we gave him a "You Made a Difference" card, gave him Kudos on our survey and an extra tip, but it doesn't seem enough. He is awesome!!!

Hear, hear, Shogun! Finding fault seems to be the norm, rather than finding the good. I don't always like everything on board, but that doesn't mean I should tear the whole trip apart. Constructive critism is good but please remember the positive as well, and let Princess know when someone has done a good job. They do listen and it matters. Can't wait to get back on board!

Shogun

Everytime you post a reply to any thread, it is always informative and helpful and this thread just typifies your superb attitude to life in general.

I hope you have a fantastic trip and I look forward to reading your posts detailing your experiences.

Have a great time

Simon

My wife and I were on a TA last year Star Princess. Richard Joseph was the CD and fantastic job he did too. Sam an English girl we met too part of the crew working with Richard was superb. Crew were superb to us couldn't do enough. Some passengers will moan regardless that's just the way they are made. One woman at our table shouted at the table staff as she didn't like the gravy on her plate? Next time we saw her she was ranting at a bus driver because she wanted on his bus but didn't have a ticket. I wonder why these people don't just stay at home if they are that miserable and going to try to find faults in everything. We booked again with Princess for May TA because of the great attitude of the staff on Star Princess.

Yes Shogun, thanks for posting this. I've talked to or read posts from people who I couldn't believe were on the same ship as I was!

We go (on our vacation) expecting to have a good time and usually do! We also treat people the way we would like to be treated.

And Princess does read these boards! The day after I posted something positive about a young man on a cruise we were on he came up to me and thanked me because corporate had forwarded the post to the ship and it was posted in the crew quarters. (I asked him how he knew it was me that wrote it and he said it was because I was the only person that talked to him. That part was kind of sad.)

ps

I met a lot more rude passengers than I did Cruise Staff!!

My wife and I were on a TA last year Star Princess. Richard Joseph was the CD and fantastic job he did too. Sam an English girl we met too part of the crew working with Richard was superb. Crew were superb to us couldn't do enough. Some passengers will moan regardless that's just the way they are made. One woman at our table shouted at the table staff as she didn't like the gravy on her plate? Next time we saw her she was ranting at a bus driver because she wanted on his bus but didn't have a ticket. I wonder why these people don't just stay at home if they are that miserable and going to try to find faults in everything. We booked again with Princess for May TA because of the great attitude of the staff on Star Princess.

Shogun, you should apply for a CD job, you have the right attitude. Ian.

Shogun,

You have such a wonderful positive attitude. Cannot wait to meet you on the Eastern Carribean part of your B2B Ruby Princess cruise. You have been so helpful on our Roll Call and I just love the picture of your puppy.

Elizabeth

Shogun,

Thanks so much for your breath of fresh air on this board that too often tends to stuffiness.

I have yet to run across a Princess employee who wasn't trying their best to please me. Some folks can never be pleased no matter how much a service person tries.

Bet you that many of the folks who "criticize" here spend most of their time looking for faults in others while ignoring their own shortcomings.

Regards.

Greenbar:)

It is so much more helpful to read what happened (positive or negative) than just bad or good cruise. I so agree with Shogun! I am also amazed when I read a review of the same cruise I was on that is so different from my experience. At first I took that rather personally but don't anymore. I chalk it up to either the person having had different steward, cabin, waiter, tablemates, etc. or to their being of a more critical nature than I am. I can honestly say I have never been on a "cruise from he**" I have been on great ones.

I have yet to say anything detrimental regarding staff on Princess. Come to think of it there was only one cruise line that I that I was on, where I did criticize the staff, I have not been on that line since.

I have seen one Princess staff member panned on these boards, and, I was on the self same cruise, I saw that person every day and once had a conversation with same. I saw no justification for said comments at all. When a person has to substitute for another, with no advance notice, a small let down should in my opinion be overlooked.

john

CC is not that much different than other review boards whether it be about a product or service. You can have highly variable reveiws because it is so subjective to the reviewer. That is why specifics are important when positng a review. not only about the problem but about the reviewer. What might be great to a 20's single male, might be just plain wrong to a 80's married female. I don't base a lot any single post but rather look for an average or trend.

When a service company sets a high standard like Princess does, those that don't quite measure up tend to be more noticalbe.

Brilliant post Shogun. Too much complaining these days.

Wise and sensitive post Shogun on many levels. The vast majority of staff that we encounter are wonderful and certainly hard workers. I regard the extremely negative posts as reflecting more on the poster than on Princess. Princess does slip up on occasion, but the attitude that we take in resolving problems is usually a good indicator of well the issue is resolved.

I have a very public job. Once on a cruise with my mother, she became annoyed with a Princess employee and started to complain at dinner. I respectfully reminded her that on any given day there were likely people praising my work and others complaining about my work. And they could even be talking about the same thing!

It hit home last year, when a problem that I was approaching with a fairly creative solution was criticized in a national publication. My mother was aghast. In the very next issue of the publication, several people wrote gushing praise on the very thing that had evoked such nasty criticism. When I reminded Mom of the employee she had been annoyed with on the cruise, she got it!

My husband had been on two Princess cruises before we met in July 2005. In March 2007, we went on our first cruise together (Crown Princess from Puerto Rico). Since then I have been bitten by the contagious Princess bug and I am about to embark on my fourth cruise - Caribbean Princess from Puerto Rico. My husband is now Platinum and I am now Gold, looking forward to an upgrade in the Princess Circle once my holiday is finished.

I have complained once (long story but not a major complaint) and we ended up with an upgrade. Even if the upgrade hadn't of occurred, we still would consider them for a cruise holiday because the complaint would not have detracted from our enjoyment of it. Even if I had a holiday that I would not consider to be good, I wouldn't say 'never again!' as I believe in second chances.

Memorable staff would have to be Kelvin Joy - he was our CD on Crown in 2007 (though when chatting to him, he denied being on board, despite my past Princess Patters saying he was!) and he was on Sea Princess 2010. He is British, but he has a wicked sense of humour. I also liked the Australian deputy CD (maybe called Dave?!) who was on Sea Princess during Easter 2010 with Kelvin. Our dining room waiters were Roger and Rommel. Both entertained us with magic tricks of the mind-boggling kind and singing. In fact, Roger participated in the staff talent show (we missed it) but he gave us a rendition of it the next night.

I really do need to keep better check of names as there were two bar tenders / pool attendants towards the stern of Sea Princess who chatted with us. They were also very complimentary about Princess as an employer. They said their pay and conditions was better than the main rivals and Princess customers were the biggest tippers (says a lot if the staff are happy).

On a final note, it is impossible to expect the perfect in an imperfect world.

Well Said Shogun

This board is a great resource and I wouldn't think of cruising without checking out what people have to say. But really people, keep an open mind. I just shake my head when I read some of the comments and questions. You just think to yourself, there is no way in hell this person is going to be satisfied and enjoy their vacation.

I guess it's the old glass half full or glass half empty situation. And some people using this board have totally empty glasses.

it's a vacation, lighten up and enjoy it.

Archived