How close to cruise for upsells

alsgirl

Hi all,

i am new to this site and to posting, i must say its a great site.

does anyone know how close to your cruise day will you get a call for an upsell or upgrade?

Typically within a week before your cruise, although I have read reports on Cruise Critic of Upsale calls being received 2 weeks or so before a cruise. We received a call this past November for an Upsale to a GV on the Pearl and got the call on the Monday before our cruise.

If you get a call a common rule used to determine if you're getting a good deal is to subtract what you have paid for your currently booked room from the current asking price by NCL (as shown on the website) for the room your being called about. You then multiply the difference by 40%. If the amount being asked by NCL for the Upsale is at or below 40% then you are getting a good deal. We used this same formula and calculated that we were paying 29% of the difference between the two AD's we had booked on our cruise and what NCL was asking for the GV. We got a good deal.

Asking Price of the Higher Cost Room

(-) What You Have Paid for Your Current Room

Difference in Cost

(x) 40%

Equals the Max Amount You Should Pay for the Upsale

The call's are hit and miss as to who gets them, but if you do, and you're getting a good deal, what would've been a great cruise anyways just got A LOT better. Have fun! :)

I agree a within the week preceding the cruise seems most typical. Out of the 1000s of people on a cruise, though, very few will get that call. Never hurts to hope, but it's good to be realistic and just book what you'll be satisfied with, as so many others have said. :)

Good luck!

As the others have stated, very few receivea call. From our roll call for our sailing on the Epic last October, there were at least two people who were offered upsells the DAY before we sailed. One took the offer, the other didn't.

I've called my TA to upgrade my cabin up to a week beforehand and have never had a problem, as long as there was availability. You need to tell them right off that you're willing to pay more, though, because I think my TA gets a lot of calls from people who are looking for free upgrades.

We got the upsell for the penthouse on the GEM about one week before. We alread had an aft penthouse so its not the actual room that attracted us but they were throughing in unlimited soda, water and two bottles of hard liquor.

It was hard to refuse but we were extremly happy with our room and made friends with a couple that had the similar room to our upsell. We did like their bathroom better

I have amazing success just calling to see how much they would charge for me to upgrade.

Last cruise (bermuda) we booked an outside room, called and asked about the balcony and they upgraded us for $11 pp, thats total, not per night or anything. I was shocked and took it immediately.

Got mine 5 days before....AD to OS. 5 day Dawn, $520.00..Heard on these boards that AD's had a good chance of an upsell because they are very popular...kept checking OS's and one was still available the weekend befor we left. Told the wife we were gonna get the call. Sure enough we just arrived at a tiki bar at Disney Dolphin Resort and NCL called. The wife thought I was joking....

They told us just to change the room number on our luggage tags. Good luck....hope you get one...

Whenever we sail NCL we always book one of the penthouse categories for the space and amenities. Two years ago we were sailing the Gem and it was our first time sailing a ship with the courtyard villas. We were booked in an AD and 3 days prior to sailing we got a call from our TA to upsell to the DOS for $600 for the two of us. It was so fabulous all the extra perks that came from the courtyard and the DOS that we outright booked the DOS for our November sailing. There is still plenty of time before we sail but will be interesting to see if the GV is still available if we get an upsell call for that. Now that would be amazing! :D

Happy Sailing all! :)

I have amazing success just calling to see how much they would charge for me to upgrade.

Last cruise (bermuda) we booked an outside room, called and asked about the balcony and they upgraded us for $11 pp, thats total, not per night or anything. I was shocked and took it immediately.

Holy cow :eek: Did you do this through your TA or by calling NCL directly?

Wow wee now thats a bargain. Congratulations!!

How far in advance did you call?

Sailed on NCL Jade March 18th and got the upsell call 5 days before cruise.

Lowest level inside booked and got BA balcony for $380. total for 9 day cruise.

Total price with upsell was still much less than if we had booked a balcony.

So guys, never give up hope that you will get the call. My first upsell call, but hope not the last.

Holy cow :eek: Did you do this through your TA or by calling NCL directly?

TA- I used an online discounted, booked the outside and called randomly to ask about upgrades. It was a lot of phone tag, but totally worth it!

• 10 months later...
Our call came on Monday before the Saturday cruise. We were in the Family Penthouse on Deck 12 and they offered us the Deluxe Owner's Suite on Deck 12. It was amazing.

Now the only thing left is the Garden Villa! Bring it on!

This sounds like a perfect variant...

We're booked in an SG on the Star @ $1500 each. Sounds like you were offered the SA. Currently our SA is about $3000 each. Could you please explain the numbers in your situation. With a small child, every little bit helps. I'm just trying to understand the way things work.

Thanks for the encouragement and information in advance !!!

We got the call yesterday for out cruise that leaves next Wednesday (9 days before departure). We upgraded from and SJ suite to an SA Deluxe Owner's Suite. This is the first time we have gotten an upsell call.

Using the formula provided by WildcatRock in post #3, we got the new suite for about 22% of the cost difference between what we paid and what the new suite was going for.

We got the call about 8 days before our cruise on the Pearl (Penthouse Suite - Owners Suite). Our caller id read Norwegian Cruise. I was not prepared and asked it I could call back. I did so within the hour, but was warned that it may be gone. If you are going to consider an up-sell, do a bit of homework about 2-3 weeks before. It will help you make that "quick" decision when/if the call comes.

This sounds like a perfect variant...

We're booked in an SG on the Star @ $1500 each. Sounds like you were offered the SA. Currently our SA is about $3000 each. Could you please explain the numbers in your situation. With a small child, every little bit helps. I'm just trying to understand the way things work.

Thanks for the encouragement and information in advance !!!

In our case the cost was a total of $400.00. From what I have read on these boards the amounts can vary wildly, it all depends on the cruise line's needs at the time.

Archived