Cruising and "tanning" after skin cancer diagnoses

nikita

Well it finally happened. I was diagnosed and treated for a pretty serious skin cancer. It is a wake up call for me...I'm 54 and have been a sun worshipper for almost all my life. The lifestyle change is going to be very hard...we cruise again in May - should be very interesting...So...I would love to know the best products/services for getting an artificial tan. How long do they last? How easy to maintain? Cost effective? And most natural looking? I have tried lotions and gels in the past and found them artificial looking and smelly. I've always gone back to the most damaging way - tanning booths or the real thing. Also if any of you have suggestions on how to enjoy a cruise without damaging my skin I would welcome any suggestions. This is very hard to accept but the alternative is even worse. Thank you for your comments and suggestions!

Have you tried a spray tan? They do tend to smell for the first day or two, but if the person knows what they are doing it looks fairly natural.

I'm not a doctor, but could you use a high SPF sunscreen and still spend some time in the sun?

Take your wake up call and Praise the Lord that He is giving you another chanch. Not being tan is a GOOD thing. It means you are healthy! Your skin only tans because it is being damaged and desperately needs immediate help.

Number 1 accept that this has happened. I am a 19 year Cancer survivor and I do know how this head debate goes. It is really hard to face the scary fact that you can (and will) die especially when you are young (I was 42 at diagnosis). It will come but don't try to negotiate it. Sun/tan can kill you (and by the way everybody!).

Number 2: Consider yourself this delicate beautiful flower. You would protect a beautiful flower. A hat is your best protection -- I love my Tilly hat with the broad brim and breeze insert. Sun glasses: I wear glasses so I use OverRXlook brand -- your eyes are affected by the sun just like the skin but has less defense. Long sleeve shirt: travelsmith and Magellans have specialty shirts for sun protection but really any shirt with long sleeves and a collar does fairly well. Long pants or skirt are excellent also. I have a white "big shirt" that is always with me -- for me sun is literally pain as I burn so much. Don't forget the feet! The worse burn I ever got was the top of the feet and a friend had a skin cancer on her ankle. Ugly fact but when swimming need cover -- tshirt or body suit. The sun's harmful rays are intesified by reflection of snow or water.

Number 3: Still wear your sun screen and still moisturise every day. Plan your time in the sun for early in day or late in day. Just don't do mid day sun.

Number 4: Become an educator and activist for a healthy lifestyle with the sun. It is time to stop this nonsense that damaged skin (tan) is beautiful! It is not healthy and as you know can kill you which is definitely not beautiful.

I am so happy that your cancer was found early and "cured". Now get out there and enjoy your life. Make the changes that need to be made and don't look back. The best revenge for a bad break in life is to live well and laugh often and encourage others. Best of luck!

(I had to stop smoking after my cancer and on my next trip I have to wear a walking boot to tiptoe through the tulips and it slows me down and is heavy AND UGLY so believe me I know how hard it is to adjust but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger AND smarter.)

Take your wake up call and Praise the Lord that He is giving you another chance... I am a 19 year Cancer survivor...

Praise the Lord for both of you and to Him be the glory. Bowie MeMe, some excellent advice offered and thank you for sharing.

nikita, enjoy your cruise while practicing "safe sun", as I call it. :)

EDITED to add: I used to be a sun abuser when I was in my teens. I would slather my body with baby oil (no SPF!) and fry myself at the beach. It is only by God's grace and mercy that I stand here today. He is gracious and merciful.

Have you tried a spray tan? They do tend to smell for the first day or two, but if the person knows what they are doing it looks fairly natural.

I'm not a doctor, but could you use a high SPF sunscreen and still spend some time in the sun?

I have not tried a spray tan...have you ever had one done at a tanning salon where it automatically sprays out (not done by a human)? How long do they last?

Bowie and Langley,

Yes I am VERY grateful to God that it was found early! I'm still at the stage where I'm trying to figure out what is going to happen to my sun worshipping lifestyle. I can't imagine wearing long sleeves and long pants/skirts out in the sun....I hope that I can get to that point but right now its a little bit at a time. I am wearing sunscreen everyday, I will no longer lay out in the sun (this is hard - we just moved to FL on the water and have a boat dock and swimming pool...) I am avoiding the sun during the mid day hours as well, and seeking shade. If you knew me you would know these are MAJOR steps for me. Thanks for your encouragement....I am taking this seriously!

I have not tried a spray tan...have you ever had one done at a tanning salon where it automatically sprays out (not done by a human)? How long do they last?

I've not had a spray tan, but my Mom had one done before my sister's wedding (December on the beach). She had it done by a person (not a booth) and it looked nice and lasted about 7-10 days.

From what I can tell the trick to getting a good spray tan is to make sure your skin is exfoliated and moisturized (drink lots of water). Dry and rough skin make the spray tan look flaky and leaves lines.

The only real issue my mom had is that the spray tan started fading/flaking off around her ankles from her shoes. I didn't notice it until she pointed it out to me.

BowieMeMe,

Decorate your ugly boot with decals, sequins, beads, whatever you like. I had two broken feet (back to back fractures:() and I was going to Hawaii both times. So I have two boots with Hawaiian decals, one boot I covered with fabric to match a dress I wore to a wedding, and another boot was glitzed to the max (4 boots total!!!). I figured if it was ugly and I still had to wear it, it might as well look good. I received many compliments as well as people asking me where I got my "fancy orthopedic boot":D.

And to the sun-worshippers, I am also a melanoma survivor and SPF 50 is my constant companion. I don't wear long sleeve tops or long pants, but really slather on the stuff an hour before I go out. If I want color, it's Jergens Express: I am not bothered by the smell and it doesn't turn orange on me, but everyone has to try what suits their skin and body chemistry. I have had spray tans several times and in order to make it wear off evenly, I usually rub all over with a towel after every shower. May not last as long, but it doesn't leave splotches either.

And I hope this doesn't cause more flames about sun vs. sunscreen vs. tanning booths! Those things have been discussed to death.

BowieMeMe,

Decorate your ugly boot with decals, sequins, beads, whatever you like. I had two broken feet (back to back fractures:() and I was going to Hawaii both times. So I have two boots with Hawaiian decals, one boot I covered with fabric to match a dress I wore to a wedding, and another boot was glitzed to the max (4 boots total!!!). I figured if it was ugly and I still had to wear it, it might as well look good. I received many compliments as well as people asking me where I got my "fancy orthopedic boot":D.

And to the sun-worshippers, I am also a melanoma survivor and SPF 50 is my constant companion. I don't wear long sleeve tops or long pants, but really slather on the stuff an hour before I go out. If I want color, it's Jergens Express: I am not bothered by the smell and it doesn't turn orange on me, but everyone has to try what suits their skin and body chemistry. I have had spray tans several times and in order to make it wear off evenly, I usually rub all over with a towel after every shower. May not last as long, but it doesn't leave splotches either.

And I hope this doesn't cause more flames about sun vs. sunscreen vs. tanning booths! Those things have been discussed to death.

Thanks so much!! Great information!!!

That's an idea! Decorate the boot. I have a boot that is new and looks like a ski boot and really is very comfortable compared to the one 5 years ago. When I wear it with a grey New Balance shoe it really doesn't look glaringly bad. My husband would :eek:! if I decorated the boot -- sometimes he is just a bit stuffy:p. (But he has put up with my silly self for 44 years and can't get luckier than that)

Oh my goodness! back to back fractures. I often wonder what I would do if the right foot got as bad as the left foot at the same time! Luckily one at a time at least with a little time off for bad behavior.

For folks with bad feet Orthoheel brand ("designed by Australian podiatrist) has pretty new "flip flops" that are an orthodic molded base with leather thong with cute flower on it.

Sorry I hijacked the thread. The keyboard made me do it!

All of you are amazing warriors and I am honored and inspried to read your postings. I have been pretty careful but have had some sun damage removed for cosmetic reasons. I often feel strange because I am pale and avoid some outdoor activities to be proactive (love to run outdoors for example but now I hit the treadmill). I don't leave home without sun screen but WAS a bit nervous about our cruise next week because I don't bake at the pool anymore.

Thank you all so much for affirming my decision to be pale and proud.

Blessing to you all...

Donna

Hi All,

I am from Australia and the "safe sun" message is drummed into us.We went on a cruise in Asia on Costa and there were alot of Europeans just lying sunbaking rubbbing in oil .I looked round at all my Aussie families wearing rashies and drippping with sunburn cream and hats.We are so used to the harsh sun I suppose, and know how much damage it can do.

Slip slop slap every day, my fav sunscreen is Neutrogena body mist, not greasy and works.

Congrats and I am so glad you caught it so early.:)

Sparks

Hi All,

I am from Australia and the "safe sun" message is drummed into us.We went on a cruise in Asia on Costa and there were alot of Europeans just lying sunbaking rubbbing in oil .I looked round at all my Aussie families wearing rashies and drippping with sunburn cream and hats.We are so used to the harsh sun I suppose, and know how much damage it can do.

Slip slop slap every day, my fav sunscreen is Neutrogena body mist, not greasy and works.

Congrats and I am so glad you caught it so early.:)

Sparks

Thanks Sparks! Yes, I'm very lucky to have found it early on! My dermatologist also suggested the Neutrogena body mist so I'm gonna give it a try. It has to be easy so I'll actually do it and since it sprays on I think that makes it easier to apply - and I love that you said its not greasy! Thanks again!!

I got skin cancer when I was 55. It was on my neck. I had just had my thyroid removed for that cancer, and ended up with 2 scars. It was very traumatic for me.

My favorite part of cruising had been the sea days. I would love to lay in the sun all day. On port days, I would love staying on the ship and having the pool all to myself.

Now, I can barely bring myself to lay in the sun. Melanoma runs in my family and it is in the back of my mind that I could get that next.

My chest got all kinds of lines on it from years in the sun. I am working at decreasing those with special creams. My arm has a 2 inch crease on it, caused by sun damage.

I HAD great success with the Lancome self tanner. People always remarked how natural it looked. Since I got thyroid cancer, it hasn't worked for me. It streaks and rubs off. I blame it on having too much thyroid hormone--maybe it has changed my skin ph. Also, since then, the sunless body lotions do the same thing. I hate being white and pasty, but I don't know what else to do!

I got skin cancer when I was 55. It was on my neck. I had just had my thyroid removed for that cancer, and ended up with 2 scars. It was very traumatic for me.

My favorite part of cruising had been the sea days. I would love to lay in the sun all day. On port days, I would love staying on the ship and having the pool all to myself.

Now, I can barely bring myself to lay in the sun. Melanoma runs in my family and it is in the back of my mind that I could get that next.

My chest got all kinds of lines on it from years in the sun. I am working at decreasing those with special creams. My arm has a 2 inch crease on it, caused by sun damage.

I HAD great success with the Lancome self tanner. People always remarked how natural it looked. Since I got thyroid cancer, it hasn't worked for me. It streaks and rubs off. I blame it on having too much thyroid hormone--maybe it has changed my skin ph. Also, since then, the sunless body lotions do the same thing. I hate being white and pasty, but I don't know what else to do!

Linda, thanks for sharing your experience. I've had several skin cancers - basil and squamous. I was never too concerned and just kept having them cut out by a plastic surgeon (hardly any scars) when I saw them and continued my sunworshipping ways...this time though my diagnoses is a melanoma in situ. I'm very lucky for the "in situ" part of the diagnoses as it means the melanoma cells were just on the surface of the skin and the doctor was able to just cut them out making sure the margins were clear. But getting the "m" diagnosis is finally my wake up call. I'm glad you have decided to stay clear of the sun especially since melanoma runs in your family. I understand how hard this must be for you - every time I cruised (going on 15 cruises now) my focus was laying in the sun either on the ship or on the beach. Now I will have to change that and honestly it is going to be soooo hard! I'm sorry the self tanners don't work on you - Have you tried a professional spray tan? I'm going to start with the self tanners and see if I like them. If not I will seek a professional spray tan. I have a LOT of age/sun spots and having a tan makes them look less prominent (isn't that ironic?!) Good luck to you and thank you again for sharing.

Anything out there to get rid of sun spots or old age spots? Not sure which is which or maybe the same thing.

I do believe sun spots and age spots are one in the same. I think if all our lives we would seek shade by wearing hats and sporting umbrellas we would have next to none "age spots". I have many everywhere except the places where my bathing suit was....

I too would like to know if there is anything to help fade these things - I think there are chemical peels and some creams that decrease them but probably nothing that actually will take them completely away. I'm going to ask my dermatologist about it some time in the near future. I'm sure the procedures are very expensive and probably sometimes painful as well.

Nikita:

I understand completely. The success of any vacation used to be measured by the depth of my tan until I was diagnosed with stage 3 Melanoma a couple of years ago. I won't get into all the details, but will say that the battle continues. SUN SCREEN IS NOT AN OPTION. I use a 50 spf, and apply/reapply it liberally. I seek a shady spot when up on deck (the Sanctuary on Princess ships is my haven!). I do go into the pool, but don't float around for hours. Once I'm refreshed, I'm back into my shady spot.

Stay positive and stay smart in terms of the sun. I wish I had been diagnosed earlier.

To answer your question, yes I tried all the self-tanning options when I was first diagnosed. Some worked well, others not so much. But I quickly tired of the maintenance required in order to keep them looking fresh. I have finally come to accept that I will never have that tanned look that I used to love, and you know what - I'm ok with that!!! You will be too. :)

Nikita:

I understand completely. The success of any vacation used to be measured by the depth of my tan until I was diagnosed with stage 3 Melanoma a couple of years ago. I won't get into all the details' date=' but will say that the battle continues. SUN SCREEN IS NOT AN OPTION. I use a 50 spf, and apply/reapply it liberally. I seek a shady spot when up on deck (the Sanctuary on Princess ships is my haven!). I do go into the pool, but don't float around for hours. Once I'm refreshed, I'm back into my shady spot.[/font']

Stay positive and stay smart in terms of the sun. I wish I had been diagnosed earlier.

To answer your question, yes I tried all the self-tanning options when I was first diagnosed. Some worked well, others not so much. But I quickly tired of the maintenance required in order to keep them looking fresh. I have finally come to accept that I will never have that tanned look that I used to love, and you know what - I'm ok with that!!! You will be too. :)

Thank you for sharing. I can see you totally understand what I'm feeling. I do hope there will come a day when I am no longer so vain and I won't want to mess with those things!

I will take your advice and seek the shade while on our cruise and use the sunscreen liberally! I know it won't be the easiest thing to do but hopefully I will get used to it.

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you continue your battle. Thank you again.

Thanks Nikita.

When reading back what I posted, I'm not sure it came across how I meant it. When I bolded "SUNSCREEN IS NOT AN OPTION", I meant that to mean that wearing sunscreen is not optional - its mandatory! When I read it back afterwards, I'm not sure that message came across the way I typed it!:o

Best of luck to you.

There are many things you will still be able to do while on the cruise. Get a really nice big floppy hat. Use a high sunscreen and use the umbrella's on the beach, or sit under the beautiful palm trees along the beach. Good luck and take care of yourself

I too had the melanoma in situ diagnosis a year ago (went in for my refill of Tazorac (got rid of some sun damage on my face and keeps the wrinkles at bay) and we decided to do my skin check early since I was there). Nikki (my medical savior) asked if I minded if she did a punch of a mole on my inner calf, didn't think it was anything, told me not to worry and she would call me in a week - it was the size of a pin head and didn't look any different than any of my other moles/freckles at least to me, but I am not a doctor am I? Well I heard from her the next day and we did the larger excisional biopsy and got the official diagnosis. I am not a sun worshipper but did have a few good burns as a kid.

I don't look my best at 53 with pasty white legs in the summer and use the Lancome Flash bronzer for legs and recently found a great tanner from Clarins that comes in a tub and smells like cocoa - it applies nicely (I have even "trained" my husband to be my private tan applicator - it was easy once I told him the price for a weekly spray tan ;-) . For my cruise I did a spray tan. All I really care about is getting a hint of color on my legs - being from NH they don't see sun as much as my arms and face.

If you have not had a body skin check done by a dermatologist make the appointment, you never know. If a melanoma is caught early like mine was, you are considered cured - melanomas are extremely deadly and sneaky, spreading quickly once they get into the lymph system. Mine was caught early like the OPs and I faithfully wear sunscreen everyday now - 55 on the face and at least 50 on the arms, neck, etc. On a cruise I bump that up to 70-100 and apply frequently.

During my research I learned that women have a high incidence of melanoma found on the left calf (I suspect it has something to do with driving in your car in the summer wearing shorts/skirts and the sun beating through the windshield - same for having more sun damage on the left side of your face.

Hey Everyone!

For those of you who don't know me - I am a professional that has worked in the Entertainment, Beauty, Fashion, Color Industry for most of my life.

I've written a post here:

http://fireiceearthandair.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/you-dont-need-a-tan/

But for the sake of all my friends at Cruise Critic, I'm going to paraphrase for you...

You don't need a tan, you don't need a tan, you don't need a tan!

If you're reading this thread, then you already are aware of the terrible effects of sun damage and skin cancer - so I don't need to go into that further.

So, let me just talk purely about Beauty and Aesthetics.

Perhaps, I'll give a new eye and perspective to some of you.

First of all, there is no professional in Hollywood who is considered legitimate or classy who tans, spray tans, or "God Forbid" bakes in the sun.

It looks bad all around, it plays hell with the look of your skin in the long run, it's a professional Hollywood Makeup Artist's nightmare to work with, and it's an antiquated vision of "beauty" that really only existed for a short time period in North America in the 60s and 70s.

I know for a fact that these Hollywood professionals DO NOT tan, and protect their natural pale skin tone as if their livelyhood depended on it!

colorinterventionnotan.jpg?w=500&h=500

Look at these ladies! Beautiful. Stunning. Lovely.

They are considered some of the most beautiful women literally all around the world. Not a tan or sun worshipper among them.

This is the true beauty aesthetic, and something that more North Americans and Europeans should strive to appreciate about their own natural genetic skin tone.

Now that we're looking at women of several backgrounds that are all appreciating their own natural non-tanned skin...

Let's really compare those in Hollywood that are still trying to "tan" their skin into shades that are not what they were born with:

colorinterventiontanningjustsayno500.jpg?w=500&h=200

Do I need to say more?

Reality "stars", Plastic Surgery addicts, and "Has Beens"...

Is this really the beauty aesthetic that so many North Americans are going for? Still? In this day and age?

Please rethink your ideals of "Beauty" and what makes you look good.

Desperately trying to get a tan, when you don't have skin that naturally does that easily is a lose/lose game.

Let's compare the skin of a young 20-Something "tanner" to a mature 60-Something woman who has not tanned in decades:

colorinterventiontanvsnotan.jpg?w=500&h=386

These are actual real true life un-touched, un-retouched photos from live red carpet events.

Up close and personal - does the "tan" skin look best, or the "natural" pale skin look best?

Your call. You tell me.

If you let go of the past antiquated ideal of tan skin; and you start to learn just the simple thing of what clothing colors and tones look best on your skin, what compliments them without a tan - you'll look better, feel better, and have WAYYY more time to live your life.

More in a bit...;)

It drives me even crazier that while North Americans, Northern Europeans, and Australians are baking themselves to a tan; or even worse frying themselves into skin cancer… Huge populations of people in India, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East are desperately trying to lighten their skin!

colorinterventionskinlighteningads.jpg?w=500&h=500

These are a whole bunch of products and advertisements from those markets.

You’re frying up and damaging your natural pale skin tone – while half a world away all of these people are trying to get skin to look like your natural pale state! Continents are trying to get skin as pale as your natural tone!

Appreciate it, and stop your tanning!

PPS I have an entire opposite rant on people from that end of the world trying to change their natural skin tone to lighter. Perhaps at a later post.

PPPS Can everyone just learn what their best colors are, accept their own natural God Given beauty and compliment that?

Archived