insurance

shanni-shanni

Many people don't. They have the means to absorb the cost if they have to cancel. Their rationale is that the money they've saved over the years has paid for another cruise or two. That's a valid point. Most of these, however, do have insurance for medical evacuation.

For me, however, most of our cruises are quite expensive. I don't care to throw that money away. I want medical and evacuation coverage in addition to protecting my significant investment. I've never had to file a claim. Yes, I've "thrown away" that money; but I'm throwing away money every month to insure my home against peril.

I always have medical insurance. I buy cancellation if traveling outside of North America. In North America I always arrive at port 2 days early in case of flight or baggage delays and I never book through a northern airport in the winter

Years past I never bought travel insurance. However, when my parents became elderly and not living on their own, I wanted to know I'd be able to cancel/return/whatever if needed. Now they're both gone, and I still buy it because I'm getting older... Two years ago one of my cruise companions had an accident leaving the train station just a few minutes from our ship in Rotterdam. Glad he had insurance as he had to fly back to the States for surgery. And, he wasn't old...

Years ago, when I worked in the Airline Industry & we we were much younger, we traveled all over the world & never purchased travel insurance...Both of us had Medical insurance which covered us out of the country..

However, after we turned 65, & started to cruise for more than 7 days, the trips were becoming more expensive...In addition Medicare does not cover illness or injury out side of the U.S...At that time we started purchasing travel insurance & won't leave home without it..

cheers...:)Betty

If you can absorb the loss of cruise, airfare, etc no need to insure and you will definitely not need to claim each cruise. Is it a risk you can afford?

But don't skip purchasing it because you are young and don't think anything can happen to you. We have claimed on our insurance twice. We missed a whole cruise one time, and at a different time I needed to leave the ship early due to an emergency at home. The first time we needed to make a claim (we missed the whole, rather pricey cruise) it was a total surprise and an emergency medical situation that no one could have predicted. What we received back for that cruise probably more than covers all the costs we have incurred over the years I have paid for insurance for cruises where we did not need to make a claim.

If you do buy insurance, you should purchase from an outside agency. The HAL insurance coverage for medical and evacuation (the real item that would break your bank) is likely insufficient.

If you buy from an outside group, you can get refundable for any reason if you purchase the insurance within a specified time period from your first deposit.

If HAL offered better medical and evacuation, i would buy that one.

I have had two claims and glad I had the insurance. As with other poster, the thousands I got back more than pay for the cost of future insurance.

In Europe, when we book our cruise, we do not have any choice. We have to take out insurance.

HAL insist we take insurance. Presumably this is because we don't necessarily have medical insurance the way you in the US do.

It is now very expensive as DH is over 70. It is even more expensive, and difficult to find, if we are visiting USA or if the cruise is more than 30 days (as our last cruise was).

Last year for a 35 day trip, including two overnights in Ft Lauderdale it cost us over £800 for insurance.

The annoying thing was that, when we had flight problems because of volcanic ash and had to buy another flight via Madrid, the insurance company would not pay out as it was an ‘act of God’ :mad:

I have never bought travel insurance even for month long trips costing $$$$$$$$. Each time I considered it I took the premimum and bought some shares in a mutual fund. And did so each cruise. So I am fine

I am over 65 and fear does not rule. Unless you have serious madical conditions insurance is a profit center for the industry... there are so many exceptions it isnt funny..... like flight insurance is a joke.

I travel on airline points so there is no expense to that and can return home ffrom anywhere on earth at no cost by saving points. Same with hotel etc

May countries around the world will take care of you at no cost if you are a visitor New Zealand. England, to name a few. And my medical insurance covers me anywhere in the world for any expense

Start now and self insure...in a few years you will have more then enough to cover anything and its your money....to spend... not in some omes pocket.:rolleyes:

Archived