7 day Fjord Cruise 28 May

Gouldy

Hi

We are going on our 1st cruise in May to see the Fjords. I'm looking forward to the scenery, my wife the luxury of the Azura (as am I)

We are visiting Stavanger, Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen and there are loads of trips to go on. Does anyone have any recommendations for which trips to go on or whether it is worth doing your own thing?

We were in those ports in July last year with Aurora. The scenery is magnificent, but needs good weather. Oddly enough, a lot of the best views are from the ship as it sails in and out of ports, especially Geiranger. We did 7-8 hour tours from Geiranger and Alesund and found them too long and tiring, with mealtimes and toilet stops a hassle. I think those that took the shorter trips saw as much as us and were back at the ship in time to have a good meal and do their own thing.

In Bergen we took a nice short trip to Lysoen Island and were back in time to explore Bergen ourselves. In Stavanger, we did a morning boat trip to Pulpit Rock and were back to enjoy a nice lunch, followed by a pleasant few hours in town. There's so many choices, but the main thing I would change if I went back is to do shorter tours.

In Stavanger we have visited the Petroleum Museum (which is more interesting than it sounds!), the Cafe Francais is nice for lunch though expensive and we have also walked round the lake and old town which is near where the ship docks. If we went again we would take a tour to Pulpit Rock but independently as there is a company offering trips (from memory much cheaper than P&O) just on the other side of the harbour.

In Alesund we caught a local bus to the Aquarium in the morning, then in the afternoon I followed the path and steps to the top of a tall hill which overlooks the harbour and 3 islands that make up the city. The views were very rewarding.

In Bergen the town is a shortish walk from the harbour. The fish market is fascinating and you can catch local tour buses in the centre. A trip up the funiculor is highly recommended, last year we took this one way then followed one of the forest trails from the top back down to the city.

Have a great cruise!

What a FANTASTIC cruise, I love Azura and the Fjords. Bergen has a free shuttle service to the town, where you can find the market and the station for the funicular railway, photos here of Bergen:

https://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/OceanaAugust2009FjordsCruise?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSenbjJ_a7hXQ#5378443794365083394

Welcome to Cruise ritic Gouldy

I would DIY in all the ports except Geiranger where you really do need a tour.

Stavanger is lovely to just wander around - lovely old white-painted wooden houses in the Old Town, Cathedral, lake and great maritime museum on the harbourside.

Bergen again is easy to wander - great craft shops etc in the Bryggen area, grab a bite to eat in the fish market or go up to the top of the mountain for the views. Depending where the ship berths, get a free shuttle, or walk (ships I've been on berth by the Rosenkrantz Tower but Azura may be too big for that).

Alesund is a lovely Art Nouveau town - very compact centre and nice shops and museums with waterways running through the centre as it is built on several islands.

you can do your own thing at Geiranger if you don't mind walking. There are several footpaths and trails along the fjord side and up the mountains with varying levels of steepness. I just took the ships tender to shore and walked up the road to the Fjord Centre which is a modern museum. There is a interesting wooden church on the way. The museum has a cafe and toilets etc. I actually fell asleep on a bench outside surrounded by wonderful scenery, then just ambled back to the tender dock.

Archived