Alaska Inside Passage questions

Boobaby

We are going on our first cruise in June. I am very excited and have read almost every word on these boards! But I still have a couple of questions for you.

Where, if anywhere, will we be most likely to see whales, etc.? In the open sea? Near the Queen Charlotte Islands? Will we get close enough to these Islands to see much on them? Will we see whales, etc. cruising Glacier Bay?

I am so excited I want to know everything I can in advance! Tell me anything, I can handle it!!!

boobaby: we have done the inside passage twice. We saw whales late in the day on the first full day of our first cruise and that was in August. Our second cruise up there was in May and we did not see any whales until we hit Juneau. We did see whales during the entry and exit out of Glacier Bay on our last Alaska Cruise. Hope this helps you!

We saw killer whales up through the passage, especially off of Vancouver Island. We saw humpbacks in a feeding frenzy in Sitka and in Auke Bay. We also saw killer whales in Kenai Fjords.:)

The best way to see alot of wildlife in Alaska is to forgo the shows and activities in the evening and spending it out on deck watching the real show instead. :cool:

You don't mention what route you are going, if round trip out of Vancouver, this is orca area, round trip out of Seattle does too much open ocean sailing. One way has the excellent opportunity for the Kenai Fjords boat trips- definately TAKE one and don't miss this excellent opportunity, but for clairfication- these are NOT whale watches, but varied wildlife with excellent glacier view. But for any significant whale viewing you need TOURS. Very few people are willing to invest the considerable amount of time required for viewing from the ship- also these views are distant and brief. Wide angle binoculars are necessary and park your self out on a front deck- with appropriate attire. Out of Juneau- the whale watches are 100% humpbacks with orcas only coming in every 5-10 days. For orcas, go out of Victoria BC or Friday Harbor Wa. Likely areas- several hours before and after Juneau and several hours before and after Glacier Bay.

Archived