Recap of first-time-ever NCLer going on EPIC . . .

DGP1111

Question for Don, Tom or anyone else here who has sailed the Epic....

have any of you also sailed the Oasis and which do you prefer?

Would you sail Oasis again??

I just got an email with a nice rate for Oasis and decent perks for the fall week in which I would like to book a cruise.

I usually don't even consider RCI, but this is a decent deal and I must admit I am curious about this ship.

Or should I just stick with NCL and forget this????

Edited by halos

I just got an email with a nice rate for Oasis and decent perks for the fall week in which I would like to book a cruise.

I usually don't even consider RCI, but this is a decent deal and I must admit I am curious about this ship.

Or should I just stick with NCL and forget this????

We have not been on the Oasis (or Allure), though I am interested in giving it a try at some point... if for no other reason - just to say we have "been there, done that"! I would imagine that there is a lot to do on that ship as well. I seem to recall Don saying that someone who works with him had been on both and suggested he give it a try as well.

A deal is a deal - and I can't speak directly for the Oasis --- just make sure you get on the Epic as soon as you can!! :D

Tom

Thank you again for your review, Don. I keep reading the review and looking at your pictures over and over. It depresses :( me we aren't sailing on the Epic until December 2012... Much too long to wait for it!

I thought you had posted the Daily's, but I could very well be mistaken. If you did, please forgive the stars in my eyes over this ship, as I've missed the post and what page it was on.

Please let me know.

Thanks again!

Stephanie

We have not been on the Oasis (or Allure), though I am interested in giving it a try at some point... if for no other reason - just to say we have "been there, done that"! I would imagine that there is a lot to do on that ship as well. I seem to recall Don saying that someone who works with him had been on both and suggested he give it a try as well.

A deal is a deal - and I can't speak directly for the Oasis --- just make sure you get on the Epic as soon as you can!! :D

Tom

If you & Cheryl were on the Epic the week I want to cruise, I'd book the Epic....unfortunately, I want to sail the end of Oct into the first week of Nov.

Don't know if I can get the DH to even consider the Oasis however...when it was first built and he heard it carried 6,000 pax, he just shook his head like, 'NO WAY'.

We'll probably wind up on an NCL ship.

If you & Cheryl were on the Epic the week I want to cruise, I'd book the Epic....unfortunately, I want to sail the end of Oct into the first week of Nov.

Don't know if I can get the DH to even consider the Oasis however...when it was first built and he heard it carried 6,000 pax, he just shook his head like, 'NO WAY'.

We'll probably wind up on an NCL ship.

We'll cross paths eventually !!! :)

Tom

This is the most amazing review - Thank you - leave Sat for the last of the Eastern Carib on EPIC for first cruise, free besides fees through COS and I got another free one this time with the free upgrade to balcony on the EPIC European. Unfortunately, not enough time or dough to do it again so soon. Maybe 2012. Better get this one down first. Again thank you for such a detailed review and effort!

Tuesday brought us to our first port stop - St. Maarten.

I'd been on this exact same Eastern Caribbean itinerary for Thanksgiving on a different ship (just 2 months earlier), and there was not much I'd anticipated about accomplishing this day, with the exception of lunch. Plans were to visit the brand new Hard Rock Cafe that was finishing completion during that last sailing (which just happened to find T-n-C, and MonaCD also onboard) :)

We took the water taxi ($6 pp round-trip) over and back. Smooth and rather quick transporation arrangement. Same cheesy recorded onboard spiel about tips being offered to their personnel. :rolleyes:

HRC turned out to be a bit smaller that it had appeared from the outside, but definitely in a smart location that should get it a lot of vacation business . . . as long as they get (and keep) their act together. Outdoor seating was not available so we dined indoors. There were some challenges with all three orders, and I'm not totally certain that our server wasn't brand new to the whole table service arena. Despite not getting exactly what I ordered, and also getting a bit of what I definitely asked not to be ordered, my meal was enjoyable nonetheless.

We popped into a few shops (jewelry, bamboo, fragrances, etc.) and then back to the ship.

Once back onboard it was easy to get some ship pictures that included few passengers. There is no doubt whatsoever that if you choose to remain onboard at port stops you will have have zero problems finding available lounge chairs throughout the pool deck.

1215494795_zgiBM-L.jpg

1215494837_Wy28K-L.jpg

1215495076_XEsWZ-L.jpg

Don - I'm loving your revew! What deck are these shaded loungers on? That's where I want to be with a frozen drink in my hand!

Can't wait to finish reading your review!

Janet

I'll probably never be on Oasis, but have my eye constantly scanning future sailings on Allure (newer has to be better, right? :)) for that perfect one that screams, "Me me me me!".

Tom is correct about me having a co-worker who has experienced Norwegian EPIC, Oasis of the Seas, and Disney Dream . . . so her feedback has been a great resource for me.

By choosing her alma mater in the NCAA brackets, and being the eventual clear winner, she won the entire pot, and is using the nice cash payout to repeat her favorite of the three (of which she enjoyed all).

Her decision: Disney Dream.

My own Disney Dream sailing is still a short while away, so I'll be able to give a better 'first hand account' on that later. My tour of the ship did get me excited, though.

. . . leave Sat for the last of the Eastern Carib on EPIC for first cruise, free besides fees through COS and I got another free one this time with the free upgrade to balcony on the EPIC European. Unfortunately, not enough time or dough to do it again so soon. Maybe 2012. Better get this one down first. Again thank you for such a detailed review and effort!

Wow - what an arrangement!!! :)

Have a total blast!!! :D

Don, I am in PR and Marketing and NCL needs to hire you. The best PR people are 'storytellers' and the most powerful form of marketing is 'word of mouth'. You are an amazing storyteller, and as you can see, we all have read every word of your review.

At the very least, NCL should give you a free cruise for this fabulous detailed review. I know you did not write this review for that purpose, but your experience and the way you told it, is a terrific testimonial for this ship and cruiseline.

I am going on my very first (big ship) cruise ever on the Epic to the Mediterranean on June 5 and I can't wait. I am also a solo traveler and have met some other solos on the CC Boards so I am not intimidated about going solo. I see it as a GRAND adventure!

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to give such great details. I loved your review. What a fun guy you must be to cruise with! Are you sure you don't want to go to the Mediterranean in June????

We could make that week 'National Dentists Get to Take Another Cruise Week'

Thanks again!

Janet

Don,

I was just curious, since T-n-C were in the CY did you get to see the CY and if so what were your impressions?

I can easily say I was extremely impressed by the Courtyard accomodations, and actually didn't see a single thing where I wondered "Why is that like that?"

Their villa certainly had a lot of buttons and switches, and I laughed about that on embarkation day when I visited.

So big thumbs up on what I saw, for sure. :)

Hi,

I hope someone has the answer..... I don't remember anyone mentioning sauna and/or steam room on this ship.

I am pretty sure that they exist, but are they free or require a SPA membership?

Thank you

I am pretty sure that they exist, but are they free or require a SPA membership?

Thank you

zaza: :( I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you on that one, but I never tried to use, or even look for, a sauna/steamroom while onboard.

I just went a few times for the treadmill experience in an effort to remove even a few of the calories 'earned' from vices.

And as long as I'm dropping by again . . . :)

I don't think I earlier posted any pictures of something I'd seen NCL do multiple times while I was in port on other ships, but this sailing I got to experience it myself.

Nice little tent areas with an occasional sip of cold water or a chilled towel to wipe your face, or cool your neck, after a long hot day at port.

port%20welcome%20back%201-L.jpg

port%20welcome%20back%202-L.jpg

Edited by DGP1111

Yes, it's the exact same on any cruise ship from any port these days . . . but if it's been a while since you last sailed, you'll want to make sure you have a free hand at embarkation for filling out a required form prior to reaching the check-in desk.

clia%20public%20health-XL.jpg

Don, I see you are posting tonight so I had to let you know that my oh so pretty green Fuji XP10 does have the 'goobered screen' when the sun is behind you:(:(. I was so hoping that mine would be OK ...

I will say that I'm quite happy that it is my second camera though and my DSLR is the bomb!:D

Don, I see you are posting tonight so I had to let you know that my oh so pretty green Fuji XP10 does have the 'goobered screen' when the sun is behind you:(:(. I was so hoping that mine would be OK ...

I will say that I'm quite happy that it is my second camera though and my DSLR is the bomb!

Hey!! :)

You might have also noticed that with the arrival of the XP20 & XP30, there have been some recent retail sales of the XP10 for less than a hundred bucks.

I probably could have dealt with the LCD screen on the earlier one, but when all I could see was a reflection of myself, there was no way to properly judge amount of zoom. I had to delete a few pictures after I was able to eventually view them, because I'd chopped of heads, feet, or points of interest.

Still lovin' the XP30.

I hope you had an enjoyable Easter weekend. :)

Hey!! :)

You might have also noticed that with the arrival of the XP20 & XP30, there have been some recent retail sales of the XP10 for less than a hundred bucks.

I probably could have dealt with the LCD screen on the earlier one, but when all I could see was a reflection of myself, there was no way to properly judge amount of zoom. I had to delete a few pictures after I was able to eventually view them, because I'd chopped of heads, feet, or points of interest.

Still lovin' the XP30.

I hope you had an enjoyable Easter weekend. :)

I had a great Easter weekend - thanks:D Hope the same for you too.

As for the camera, I will survive since it is really a secondary point and shoot thing for me but I will admit that I am a bit envious of the 'better and newer' models.

BTW, I meant to say that I loved the newest photos too with the cold towels etc. I've seen that on my cruises too and I've always wanted to be the recipient of one.

1215515100_fb82g-M.jpg

I'll have you know, that I was perfectly content eating my "vanilla soft-serve" until you just had to go and ruin it for me...first, with your contagious enthusiasm, and then.... (gasp!) with the obscene picture above! :eek: That was the last straw, buddy!!!! :mad: Thanks to you, I am now setting my Platinum spoon aside (which I just earned, btw!) in search of some pistachio & coconut ice cream!!!! Thanks. A lot. If I "happen" to log onto NCL-dot-com and book a cruise on the Epic, it will be all your fault. I hope you can live with yourself!!!!

LOL! :p Your review has consumed every one of my free moments for the past 3 days. :o I have thoroughly enjoyed your commentary & pictures! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on the Epic!!! I am literally signing on to NCL right now to have a look-see! :D

Hi,

I hope someone has the answer..... I don't remember anyone mentioning sauna and/or steam room on this ship.

Thank you

The Epic does have the saunas/steam room in the spa, but it requires a spa week/day pass to use. It can be crowded on occasion, but is a great area to get away and relax for a while.

I believe the Courtyard area also has a steam room and sauna.

I have to say, this is one of the most intriguing writes up I've ever seen.

I sailed the Epic last September after being probably one of the number 1 Epic Stalkers (along with sdmike) while she was being built...so therefore, I usually do not read the reviews posted about the Epic. I've been there, done that. I usually only post if I find someone asking a question in regards to the Epic (if I can answer).

However, something was drawing me into this particular post. Once I started reading I WAS HOOKED. It was so enjoyable to read and relive my wonderful Epic days from last year.

I made it to the bottom of the page last night and BAM! The server went down. I won't repeat the choice words I had at that moment, but couldn't wait to get home today to hopefully pick up where I had left off at last night.

I honestly think that your review should be a STICKY on cc. I didn't think anyone could top Mikes review, but my friend, you have done an outstanding job. You kept me glued to my screen for hours, smiling, laughing (yes out loud) and saying "wow" at the pictures. You make me want to go again. :)

The Epic was a wonderful experience for us. We are booked this year on the Spirit. I know it will not come close to comparing to the Epic, but I still can't wait to go.

Many thanks for your wonderful review! :D