Recap of first-time-ever NCLer going on EPIC . . .

DGP1111

While we both seemed to have a slippy zippy time on Green . . . Purple offered me one personal challenge. I thought if I lay on my back with my fancy new waterproof camera held upwards, it would create a much more steady video image - - and it did. Unfortunately the collection tube had deep enough water that a lot of it ran up into my sinuses at the conclusion. My video (which I'm certainly not posting :p) captured some interesting audio with all the coughing, spitting and sputtering. Yowza!

So, you might want to sit up a bit on that one. :)

Oh Don, pleaaaaaasssseeee? Or just send it to me privately. I promise not to laugh ... at least any harder than I just did:o

Let me know if you need that email address:D

1229174527_kj6Qu-XL.jpg

As you'll notice in the photo above, you arrive in the big bowl, and the momentum is certainly enough to take you in, at least, two full circles before you need to navigate your way to the entrance of that final slide drop for the exit. Easy . . . or perhaps not.

While holding carefully on my trusty camera with one hand (yes, once again capturing more video memories) I use the other hand to help propel myself to the exit slide opening. Not quite getting the desired positioning, I shift my body weight that direction to help 'nudge' it, and . . .

ooops . . . ouch . . . oh, crap . . . not good . . . help . . .

My inner tube stays in the big bowl, and I travel, head-first, through the exit. Yep, that experience is on video as well.

With camera held above the water line, I finish the slide experience to see Tom with a 'Wow' look on his face, and the next kid in line with a "Dude, where's your tube?" look.

Tube arrive shortly, and all was good. All in all it was a really fun slide, and I definitely enjoyed all three. :D

I was able to repeat all on the last sea day before that had to shut 'em down due to realy high winds.

NCL may have some occasional glaring weaknesses in theming, but they certainly make up for it in a lot of other area, such as onboard information and directions.

In multiple locations throughout the ship you can find interactive maps, where with a few finger taps here and there, you can find out bunches of things.

1215504919_2MjMe-XL.jpg

And since the dining is Free-Style, it's great for passenger to have information available about what is wide open, filling, or filled. Nicely done!!

1215504940_XrgnT-L.jpg

And that same availability status is visually available at the Entertainment Booking desk, with several friendly crew members there to get you all set up for some enjoyable shows.

1215505782_DCmgj-L.jpg

Rather easy and seamless arrangement, in my opinion.

I believe we need to send NCL a note saying that Don deserves a free Epic cruise (Dec 10th sailing of course) as his commission for getting all of the new bookings:D

Tee-Hee!! :)

I'd actually settle for just a promise (in writing, of course) that all my future NCL voyages will be as enjoyable. :D

Prior to doing evening dining, we somehow totally randomly :p found ourselves choosing to meet at Shakers yet again. I got there first and watched as a sizeable group had some nice photos made on the nearby stairs and also with the chandelier in the background. I was seated in the plush chairs rather than at the bar, as Armando was on break, and I'd not get to order my fave beverage.

A young lady seated two chairs in front of me stood up and immediately did a complete Nadia Comanichi gymnastics flip over the chair with a half-split dismount onto her back. It was honestly frightening. No one (myself included) knew exactly what to do, but the person next to her (mother I assumed) got it under control. The people having their group picture on the stairs had a suddenly stunned look on their face, and thankfully the photographer didn't capture that moment.

That's when T-n-C arrived, and I explained what had occured. Rather than get a drink from the current bar breaker/replacement, we headed on down to Le Bistro for an highly anticipated meal. And no disappointment (although a very few questions).

At the reception podium, they had a small stack of about five black napkins, and it was SO tempting to snag one and see Cheryl's reaction if I had the only one at the table again. :D

I forgot my glasses this evening, and the restaurant lighting is minimal at best. My doofus mistake, and I had to walk over a bit to a nearby wall light to fully read the options.

I got the duck salad, filet, and creme brulee. Every bit, for me, was perfection. While we were seated, the server came by and pulled the curtain that separates our row of table from the adjacent front room. Was it something we said?? :o Well, upon reading Cruise Critic after our return we learned it was a wedding reception group, so that made sense.

1215520471_i55aw-XL.jpg

Did I happen to mention my meal was wonderful?? (Oh, I did??) Well, it needs repeating.

A few comments:

While reading my menu with the nearby light, I was right next to a collections of paintings by Michael Milkin (artist from The Ukrain), and while seated I was facing a wall filled with several works by Juan Miro (Spain), and behind me for T-n-C's visual enjoyment was Charles Lee (Korea).

This restaurant venue is occasionally used by Park West, located right down the hallway, so it's apparent they've supplied some rotational artwork for Le Bistro. I don't suppose it occured to them to chose a few from their vast collection, such as Emile Bellet or Jean-Claude Picot (both from France). Just sayin'

Music selections, while quite enjoyable, and soft enough to add to the ambience (rather than create one all on its own) were also questionable.

Mendelssohn piano works (Germany), a nice slow arrangement of a tune from Starlight Express (a British-born musical done on rollerskates), and also Irish Tune From County Derry (aka, Danny Boy). Not one French composition during our visit.

Great venue, superb service, delicious meal. You've got it all going for you, NCL, now just take a moment and think about the common thread that advances it to that next level . . . at mininal (perhaps zero) additional cost.

Edited by DGP1111

Oh, I forgot to mention that when leaving St. Maarten, the Entertainment staff (including Cruise Director) was out by the pool getting passengers involved in a deck party with dancing and featuring a live band. I found it to be very enjoyable, and every single crew member involved was giving a full-force performance.

For those who watched the "Undercover Boss" episode, the current (promoted on the show) assistance cruise direictor, Michael, is still onboard, and doing everything possible to make his passengers feel special. This entertainment team certainly appears to enjoy their jobs, or they fake it good enought to fool me, as well as numerous others.

Cruise Director, Paul Scally

1215557767_6nm33-L.jpg

1215558067_VkNsd-L.jpg

1215558280_SoNgH-L.jpg

1215558179_2e2EB-L.jpg

1215558356_wAScX-L.jpg

Don - I shot soda out my nose when I read of you going headfirst down the Epic toilet bowl. I saw a couple of people accidentally dismount their plastic steed and head down the chute butt first (interesting) and feet first, but never head first! Bravo! :p

Edited by sdmike

Don, we had Michael as one of the Cruise Director team members on the Norwegian Star in October 2009 cruising the Mexican Riviera. He is in the job he should be in. I hope he is still be on the Epic when we cruise in November!

For a brief while after leaving St. Maarten, there was a rather fierce-looking rain storm off to our port side, and it looked like it was definitely going to catch up to us. But it eventually fell apart, and resulted in a nice rainbow for a short while. Lots of people were scrambling for cameras.

1229343134_2CNVk-XL.jpg

1229343094_cRP7h-L.jpg

On this evening I received my very first towel animal of the cruise. I'd wondered about that earlier, but figured that perhaps NCL didn't do them every night like some other lines. But now the question was "What the heck is it??"

Was kind of like a Seal that I've had on Carnival before, but without the little paper eyes it had a strange look -- and from one angle it looked somewhat, well, nevermind. My cabin steward was so nice and timely with everything/anything requested that I can easily forget that his towel oragami skills were not top-notch. :)

1215564729_wzv7T-L.jpg

After looking back at a few of the horrific misspellings I've created tonight, I realize it's way past time to head to bed and face another rip-roaring day at the office in a few hours.

Later, gator!! :D

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also . . . I'm just now paying any attention to the number of page views this rather nonsensical thread is getting. That's bizarre to me - honestly.

I had little idea that more than a small handfull of people would remotely care about the observations of someone who is so far outside the normal NCL Cruise Critic inner circle of posters. I sincerely thank you for that support. :)

Even more amazing is to see a thread go for this length without some feelings getting hurt concerning opinions and comments.

For that I offer the ultimate Thank You!!! :D

For a brief while after leaving St. Maarten, there was a rather fierce-looking rain storm off to our port side, and it looked like it was definitely going to catch up to us. But it eventually fell apart, and resulted in a nice rainbow for a short while. Lots of people were scrambling for cameras.

1229343134_2CNVk-XL.jpg

:) ... and woulda thunk that someone else at that very time was enjoying the same view? !

1232153366_2LG93-L.jpg

Tom

Leave it to me to 'christen' a technique. :D

LMAO!!

After looking back at a few of the horrific misspellings I've created tonight, I realize it's way past time to head to bed and face another rip-roaring day at the office in a few hours.

Later, gator!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also . . . I'm just now paying any attention to the number of page views this rather nonsensical thread is getting. That's bizarre to me - honestly.

I had little idea that more than a small handfull of people would remotely care about the observations of someone who is so far outside the normal NCL Cruise Critic inner circle of posters. I sincerely thank you for that support. :)

Even more amazing is to see a thread go for this length without some feelings getting hurt concerning opinions and comments.

For that I offer the ultimate Thank You!!! :D

First of all, I am so absorbed in the chapters of your tale that I didn't notice misspellings. Second, the NCL boards don't have an inner circle....(not that I have noticed, anyway!!) there is just a very big appreciation of the line here and nothing is better than reading about someone's first experience on NCL, captured in such an entertaining manner in words....so any hurt feelings or weird comments coming to you would be totally out of place. :)

(How's that for a run-on??) :eek:

I don't want this to end and I know it will (all good stories come to an end) SO, we need you to book another cruise quickly so we can enjoy more later!!! :)

Edited by halos

SO, we need you to book another cruise quickly so we can enjoy more later!!! :)

Nevermind! I just remembered that you already did!! :D

(I needed to take a couple more swallows of coffee to get the brain functioning :))

do men need to bring suit/jacket on the Epic? am I correct in assuming there is no "formal" night per se as on other ships...thanks

Jackets/ties are required nowhere on the ship. The dress code is very casual - though if you would like to step it up a notch, there are people who enjoy doing that - and they don't stand out. As I recall the only places with really any "code" is Le Bistro and Manhattan - and they just ask that you don't wear shorts or flip-flops there!!

There is not a formal night - though they do indicate that one night is a "Dress up or not" night, which pretty much sums it up right there!

I strive for a "smart casual" look in most cases, but to each his own (as the definition of various dress styles are not cast in stone anyway)!

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Great venue, superb service, delicious meal. You've got it all going for you, NCL, now just take a moment and think about the common thread that advances it to that next level . . . at mininal (perhaps zero) additional cost.

Yay! I picked this restaurant for my "upgrade" dining option and so glad to hear this review of it.

Mitch, I only have my one sleeping location to describe on this ship (well, unless you count that one seat in the EPIC Theatre :o), but the bed in my Studio cabin was as good, or better, than any on any previous ship. And Carnival does have some good bedding -- - I gotta give 'em that.

Don,

Thanks for the quick reply and great review! We can't wait to see the ship! I second the vote for NCL to just give you a free cruise for all of the business you've generated from this review!!! :D

The beds in the balcony staterooms were extremely comfortable as well. When I got home from my trip I spent days researching what mattresses, sheets and comforter they used so I could maybe buy it for my house!

Thank you so much for this review Don. My fiance and I are spending our honeymoon on the Epic this summer and are getting so excited reading your fantastic review. One question for you (and anybody else who would like to help us :)). If we only wanted to 'splurge' on three of the specialty restaurants, which three would you recommend. We enjoy all sorts of food. We were thinking Spiegel (for the show mostly), Cagney's and Moderno. What are your thoughts?