transportation around Intercontinental

M&T

If we stay in the area of Intercontinental, what is the cost of a taxi to old town. I understand that that the public bus is safe and cheap. Any opinions? Or, do any of the hotels offer shuttles? Thanks. Marlyne

We spent 1 week pre-cruise at the Intercontinental....Most of the time we took a Taxi, just for the sake of time and convenience.

There are 2 buses that you can take to town, they just go different routes and take around 45 mins versus 10 mins by taxi. I felt quite safe on the bus, using them both daytime and at night.

We used the bus in both directions, there were 4 of us.... If you value your time I think I'd opt for a taxi..

Buses take correct cash only and don't give change, you deposit the coins into a shoot.. I 'think' it was 75cents... So make sure you have plenty of coins, the Bus station is right downtown and a block from the Sheraton old san juan.

You can get the bus schedule from the concierge, they run every hour.

The cost of a taxi is $19 although some drivers were saying 'gone up it's $20' The next was back to $19 so not sure if he was scamming or not, we just tipped $1 less ...

Make sure before you get into the taxi that you get a price and challenge it if it is not correct.. I asked the guy at the airport when we were taking a taxi to the hotel. Remember that they also add $1 a bag that they load into the back..

In the evenings some drivers really do try it on.. Give them the correct amount plus tip. Never expect them to give you change..

A good cheap place for breakfast is out of the hotel, across the street and to the right.. It's in the first group of shops I wish I could remember it's name something like Me Cassita.. We even had dinner there one night, the chicken Burrito isn't like what we here in North America expect.. It's much more authentic..

If you are there on a Thurs thru Sat night be sure to walk next door to ESJ Waldorf Astoria El San Juan.. The very large main reception comes alive with live bands and locals dancing away. There are two very large bars and it's a great place to sit have a drink and if you don't dance, listen to some live music and people watch .. This IS the place to be at a weekend..

Latin Roots (behind the Sheraton) was also nice had a mix of locals and tourists.. Ayway I digress from your question getting caught up in reliving the atmsophere and moments of this great town..

Have a awesome trip wish I was there!!

If you are staying at the Intercontinental you can catch them at the same bus stop.. which is out of the hotel and to the right... They split routes a little after..

I'm sorry I can't remember the numbers the concierge would know that... We went to the bus station (downtown) for the return.. Both buses were sitting there waiting for a driver, we took the first one the driver turned up for.. I think we must have just missed them on the return as we had to wait almost 1 hour !!

Because I wanted the Intercontinental of Waldorf ESJ I used Hotwire rather than priceline.. I used Betterbidding.com and linked through them it worked out well..

I have paid $115 for The Intercontinental in the past however, this time we were there at a time when there was very few rooms available so we paid more than 'normal' $153.

We wanted 1 week which proved difficult due to a lot of business's holding conventions. When we stayed the hotel was full..

If you are planning just a few days it should be easier to get your dates and at a good price.

I've included my bid so you can see from this that it's still a gamble but through better bidding I was able to make a more 'educated guess'

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=121542&

I have now joined it, but I have to admit that I don't understand how it works. We are wanting the Old San Juan Sheraton before our cruise for 3 nights and the Intercontinental for 3 nights after. So, I don't want to bid at priceline. If it let you choose a more specific area I might have a chance. I am looking at hotwire. Thanks. Marlyne

If you are staying at the Intercontinental you can catch them at the same bus stop.. which is out of the hotel and to the right... They split routes a little after..

I'm sorry I can't remember the numbers the concierge would know that... We went to the bus station (downtown) for the return.. Both buses were sitting there waiting for a driver, we took the first one the driver turned up for.. I think we must have just missed them on the return as we had to wait almost 1 hour !!

bus 53 or T5

Thanks Orquidia, I almost posted 'T5' but as I'm doing my tax returns here in Canada and T5's are a gvmt doc I thought I was getting mixed up !! lol

I have now joined it, but I have to admit that I don't understand how it works. We are wanting the Old San Juan Sheraton before our cruise for 3 nights and the Intercontinental for 3 nights after. So, I don't want to bid at priceline. If it let you choose a more specific area I might have a chance. I am looking at hotwire. Thanks. Marlyne

Each hotel has a list of features that are arranged in often unique patterns.. Many hotels may have the same facilities but either word them differently or place them in a different sequence on the list..

Better Bidding encourages people to post back with the results and that way they've built a profile that suggests which hotel it's likely to be..

The one difficulty is Sheraton, some seem to think they've got the old san juan and end up getting the convention centre..

Goldeneye, I wanted to let you know that I used betterbidding and hotwire and got the Intercontinental for $127. I was really happy. Thanks. Was there a resort fee? Marlyne

Yes there was, I have all the receipts somewhere, It's usually between 10% & 20%..

You'll have a great time.... If you are there at the weekend, Thurs -Sat be sure to pop next door to ESJ.. There are two big bars and it's great for listening to the live music, dancing and just people watching.. It's where the locals go to kick up their heels.. You'll get to see some great salsa & merengue moves!!

Archived