Polignano a Mare from Bari

Karysa

While doing some research for my upcoming cruise I stumbled upon a town called Polignano a Mare which is a Seaside Mediveil town 30 km from Bari. Looks like a place that we would like to explore and it has beaches as well. Has anyone visited this town while on a port stop in Bari? If so how did you get there and did you enjoy your day?

While doing some research for my upcoming cruise I stumbled upon a town called Polignano a Mare which is a Seaside Mediveil town 30 km from Bari. Looks like a place that we would like to explore and it has beaches as well. Has anyone visited this town while on a port stop in Bari? If so how did you get there and did you enjoy your day?

I hope someone answers because we'll be in Bari, too. I saw photos on TripAdvisor of that restaurant in the caves in Polignano and it really makes me want to go there! From what I can see it's just a short local train ride away. I wonder if it's as cool looking as it seems to be.

It's a short train ride (something like 20 minutes). Frequent trains during rush hours, less frequently at odd times.

Perfect. Thanks!

I think I might try this. I haven't found anything that my teens would like yet in Bari and I bet that they would be ready for some beach time by then.

Is the train station walking distance of the port in Bari or would it be better to take a taxi to the train station? What about when you get to Polignano a Mare how do you get to the beach from there? If the train is a hassle I might just hire a driver for the day. Thanks for any help.

Bari Centrale is very close (4 blocks maybe) from the ferry port. I have no idea where cruise ships tie up; might or might not be the same place.

Polignano a Mare's train station is something like 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the waterfront.

Bari Centrale is very close (4 blocks maybe) from the ferry port. I have no idea where cruise ships tie up; might or might not be the same place.

Polignano a Mare's train station is something like 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the waterfront.

Thanks so much for the helpful information. Sounds very doable, I think that we will go there for the afternoon when we port in Bari.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the best way to get from the cruise dock to Bari Centrale train station?

• 2 months later...
I am still hoping to do this in August does anyone have recent information on train schedules etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check the trenitalia website (www.trenitalia.com), select English at the top of the page. Make sure you're inquring about "return" schedule/fare. Type in Bari for the departure and Polignano a Mare for the destination. Input your dates (day first, then month, year), and departure time (24 hour clock) and hit search (or whatever). Up comes a schedule with approximate fares. We are in Bari Oct 11 and it looks like they have a non-stop train (duration 21 minutes) costing 4 Euro for the departure. The return shows trains with stops, and no price. I, too, loved the pictures of this town and may consider doing this as well!

Edited by NC Mtn Boys

Check the trenitalia website (www.trenitalia.com), select English at the top of the page. Make sure you're inquring about "return" schedule/fare. Type in Bari for the departure and Polignano a Mare for the destination. Input your dates (day first, then month, year), and departure time (24 hour clock) and hit search (or whatever). Up comes a schedule with approximate fares. We are in Bari Oct 11 and it looks like they have a non-stop train (duration 21 minutes) costing 4 Euro for the departure. The return shows trains with stops, and no price. I, too, loved the pictures of this town and may consider doing this as well!

This was so nice of you. Thank you +++++

This will be my suggestion for Bari for our trip and since no one else is interested in looking into places to visit I am pretty sure we will be going here in August. :) If that is the case I will post here about it upon our return. The train runs so often that it does not look like we need to prepurchase tickets to me. Do you agree?

This was so nice of you. Thank you +++++

This will be my suggestion for Bari for our trip and since no one else is interested in looking into places to visit I am pretty sure we will be going here in August. :) If that is the case I will post here about it upon our return. The train runs so often that it does not look like we need to prepurchase tickets to me. Do you agree?

Honestly, I don't know that you would be able to pre-purchase them anyway. When I re-input our dates tonight with the correct times (last night I wasn't using the correct time, found out later that we arrive into Bari later than I thought), all options show N/A for the price and when I make a selection it tells me it's not available for pre-purchase. With as short of ride as this is, plus with the frequency of their trains, I would be confident that you can just purchase your tickets at the train station in Bari when you arrive. Will be interested to learn how this goes, as we may also do this in October. :)

Honestly, I don't know that you would be able to pre-purchase them anyway. When I re-input our dates tonight with the correct times (last night I wasn't using the correct time, found out later that we arrive into Bari later than I thought), all options show N/A for the price and when I make a selection it tells me it's not available for pre-purchase. With as short of ride as this is, plus with the frequency of their trains, I would be confident that you can just purchase your tickets at the train station in Bari when you arrive. Will be interested to learn how this goes, as we may also do this in October. :)[/quote

I really can't think of anything that I would rather do in Bari and since our visit is in the end of August I think a visit to Polignano A Mare for a little sight seeing, a swim and maybe some low cliff diving and an icecream (apparently they are famous for icecream) seems like a relaxing way to spend the day with 5 teenagers. I agree purchasing train tickets once we are there shouldn't be a problem so I won't worry anymore about that. I will let you know how the day goes.:)

We leave next week and sail out of Bari.

On our return we have booked a hotel overnight in Polignano a Mare called Hotel Covo dei Saraceni. If you google it you will see it is right next to that amazing picture of the beach that shows up on every website.

It is a little different for us as they have arranged transfers from the port...through Alberobello for some sightseeing and on to their hotel. We will stay obernight and leave the next day. I am SO excited about seeing this town.

and we are traveling with two children, one of which is a teenager :-)

We will post a review of the area when we return!

http://www.covodeisaraceni.com/

Edited by cakeordeath

This is an interesting choice for a day trip ... you do realize that Polignano a Mare does not have sandy beaches, right? It's a rocky coastline - quite beautiful, but if you are expecting big sandy beaches you are going to be disappointed.

I am looking for an interesting place for a day trip, and that is what lead me to Polignano a Mare. My DH is an avid photographer and I thought that this little place would provide great picture opportunities. The beach in between the cliffs can't be all that bad as I have seen pictures of it when there were many people sitting on the beach and also enjoying the water. We do not plan on suntanning just enjoying the water and the view from in the water looking back out to the town. Should we bring along water shoes?

We are going to tour Vienna and Budapest prior to our cruise so I thought a really "chill" kind of day might be nice right about here in our trip.

Any suggestions on how we can enjoy our day here are most appreciated.:)

We leave next week and sail out of Bari.

On our return we have booked a hotel overnight in Polignano a Mare called Hotel Covo dei Saraceni. If you google it you will see it is right next to that amazing picture of the beach that shows up on every website.

It is a little different for us as they have arranged transfers from the port...through Alberobello for some sightseeing and on to their hotel. We will stay obernight and leave the next day. I am SO excited about seeing this town.

and we are traveling with two children, one of which is a teenager :-)

We will post a review of the area when we return!

http://www.covodeisaraceni.com/

That little restaurant in the grotto looks like a wonderful place to sit and reminisce about your cruise.

Have a fantastic cruise and please come back and if you see any place in particular that would be an excellent picture opportunity could you please come back and post. I would get bonus points in DH's eyes if I could lead him to a few places that he might have missed in such a short visit.:)

E

The photo ops are amazing, I only meant to check your expectations about the beach at Covo dei Saraceni, the one you see in all the pictures. It's quite small, but lovely. This is easy to accomplish via train, as the cove is only about a half mile from the station.

The photo ops are amazing, I only meant to check your expectations about the beach at Covo dei Saraceni, the one you see in all the pictures. It's quite small, but lovely. This is easy to accomplish via train, as the cove is only about a half mile from the station.

I think it will be exactly what we are looking for. Any "secret" photo ops that you can share? Thanks for the help.:)

The walk from the cruise port to Bari Centrale is quite easy, so you can save some money by walking rather than taking a taxi, unless you're rushing to catch a train. For your times, there is an 11:45 that you might make, if you can get off the ship quickly. In that case you'd need a taxi. If you choose to take the next train, at 12:14, you'll have time to walk.

I think it will be exactly what we are looking for. Any "secret" photo ops that you can share?

I am the world's worst at pictures, so I'm not much help there I'm afraid. We visited Polignano on our way to Bari while staying in Ostuni a few years ago. We didn't have a plan, we just parked the car and wandered on foot. The place is so small - less than a mile from one end to the other - that it's easy to explore.

I am the world's worst at pictures, so I'm not much help there I'm afraid. We visited Polignano on our way to Bari while staying in Ostuni a few years ago. We didn't have a plan, we just parked the car and wandered on foot. The place is so small - less than a mile from one end to the other - that it's easy to explore.

Thanks, I think that I have the trip to Polignano a Mare pretty much set. I am now wondering if we walk to the train station or back from it depending on the schedules and what fits, will we see much of anything in Bari itself or should we dedicate a couple of hours strictly to Bari? We will have been in the 5 churches of Ravenna the day before so since we have 5 teens with us I wanted the Bari port day to be a little less structured and that is why I thought that Polignano a Mare would work for us. However, since we don't have to board until 7:30 we should have an hour or two to see a couple of sites in Bari, any suggestions?