Southbound Alaska Cruise

travellingnana

I will be heading southbound on a Princess Alaska cruise. I realize that most of the cruise will be in the Inside Passage...with scenery on both sides. So does it really matter what side of the ship my cabin is on? I don't plan on spending all my time on my balcony...but would just like some advice.

I carefully selected cabins for us and our companions on our Alaska cruise last year only to be told that I should have selected port side cabins rather than starboard side cabins going southbound. Getting what I wanted on the port side created some problems, so I decided to stick with what I had.

As you are cruising along the Alaska, you will not be close enough to make out anything ashore. There are also islands on both sides of the ship along much of the trip. In Glacier Bay NP or College Fjord the ship will turn around and give the same sights to both sides of the ship, besides which you will be on deck part of the time or in the buffet for breakfast and can see both sides. In the Inside Passage, there is scenery on both sides of the ship. After worrying after reading some posts here on CC, we were absolutely fine on the starboard side.

You can add to that that a lot of the days along the coast of Alaska are foggy to some degree, so visibility will be at least a little limited.

I really spend time selecting my cabins, and I really wouldn't worry about which side you are on in Alaska.

Archived