Amtrak for New York Cruises?

kicker

Got the info below from Amtrak's site. We live in Central NY; we could train into NYC - the cost would be less than gas, tolls & parking would cost us.

This got me wondering how many cruisers have used Amtrak, and whether or not they've used the below discount codes (seems you have to book the cruise first, then call). Anybody Amtrak fans out there?

CRUISE PASSENGERS - Save 20% (or 15% on sleeper accommodations) to port cities

Amtrak Coupon Codes: V639 (Norwegian), V555 (Carnival), V107 (Holland America)

Expiration: Book by December 27, 2011. Travel by December 31, 2011.

Amtrak Trains/Routes: Valid on all routes except Acela Express, Auto Train, Illinois Zephyr, Kansas City Mule, Keystone Service, Lake Shore Limited, Lincoln Service, Missouri River Runner, St. Louis Mule & Canada service.

Additional Terms: Valid only in conjunction with a Carnival Cruise Lines, Norwegian Cruise Line, or Holland America Line cruise itinerary for arrival at the port city at least one day prior to cruise departure. Valid for adult and child coach fares, business class, and sleeper accommodations. Code may only be used by phone: 800-USA-RAIL.

Advance Purchase Requirement: Three day advance ticket purchase required.

Got the info below from Amtrak's site. We live in Central NY; we could train into NYC - the cost would be less than gas, tolls & parking would cost us.

This got me wondering how many cruisers have used Amtrak, and whether or not they've used the below discount codes (seems you have to book the cruise first, then call). Anybody Amtrak fans out there?

CRUISE PASSENGERS - Save 20% (or 15% on sleeper accommodations) to port cities

Amtrak Coupon Codes: V639 (Norwegian), V555 (Carnival), V107 (Holland America)

Expiration: Book by December 27, 2011. Travel by December 31, 2011.

Amtrak Trains/Routes: Valid on all routes except Acela Express, Auto Train, Illinois Zephyr, Kansas City Mule, Keystone Service, Lake Shore Limited, Lincoln Service, Missouri River Runner, St. Louis Mule & Canada service.

Additional Terms: Valid only in conjunction with a Carnival Cruise Lines, Norwegian Cruise Line, or Holland America Line cruise itinerary for arrival at the port city at least one day prior to cruise departure. Valid for adult and child coach fares, business class, and sleeper accommodations. Code may only be used by phone: 800-USA-RAIL.

Advance Purchase Requirement: Three day advance ticket purchase required.

In New York, Amtrak can not be depended upon. I have just about always been late with them. I now drive to Poughkeepsi, and take Metro North in, runs about every hour, About $33 round trip pp, plus $30/wk to park. I most often take the 42 bus and walk to the ship, but a cab would be maybe $15, assuming you are talking about the Manhatten pier.

In New York, Amtrak can not be depended upon. I have just about always been late with them. I now drive to Poughkeepsi, and take Metro North in, runs about every hour, About $33 round trip pp, plus $30/wk to park. I most often take the 42 bus and walk to the ship, but a cab would be maybe $15, assuming you are talking about the Manhatten pier.

But to get this discount you have to arrive a day early which means a hotel in the NYC area. What I do is Amtrak from Buffalo, NY to Albany,NY spend the night in Albany at a much lower rate and leave the next morning to NYC leaving around 8am arriving around 10:30 which gives me time to get to the pier. If you have AAA you can get a 10% discount if you book at least 3 days in advance

Thanks for the info. on Amtrak. I just booked the train for my 4-14-11 cruise out of New York with my AAA discount. I was wondering , would I be able to store my lugage or check it at Penn Station after departure ? my reservation isnt untill 3PM so I thought to walk around the city a little bit .

We have never used Amtrak...but, we are coming into NYC from Toronto two days before our cruise...saving ourselves hundreds of dollars just because we are willing to sit on the train for 12 hours! The discount coupons don't work for Canadians, unfortunately! How far is Penn station from Central Park area? May sound silly, but never been to NYC before...I will assume we will require a cab both to the hotel and then again to the pier.

How far is Penn station from Central Park area? May sound silly, but never been to NYC before...I will assume we will require a cab both to the hotel and then again to the pier.

I walk it, and more. But, a cab or subway will get you to Central Park.

You need to get yourself a NYC tour book and map, head to your library. This will detail the locations simply.

Archived