Please help a dumb guy with a Coffee-related Beverage Package choice!

PS90

Hi everyone,

I apologize for adding yet another beverage package question to the list, and I also know that this question has been posed before, without a solid answer. I guess I'm just hoping for some clarification.

So here goes:

I am planning on buying a NON-alcoholic beverage package coming up on Solstice. Generally, I will use it to get a small amount of soda pop and a LOT of coffee-type drinks - i.e. lattes, cappuccinos, etc. at Cafe al Bacio. I may buy a few cocktails, but neither my wife or I drink enough for either of us to buy an alcoholic package.

So, keeping in mind that I am deciding between the Classic and the Premium NON-alcoholic packages only, could someone PLEASE clarify what coffee drinks are included with each package. X's website states that the Classic non-alcoholic package includes "Premium Coffees", while the Premium non-alcoholic package includes "Specialty Coffees".

Basically, I want to know the difference between "Premium" and "Specialty" in the context of coffee, if anyone knows. What is included in the "Specialty" coffee (in the Premium package) that isn't included in the lesser-priced "Premium" (in the Classic package) coffee line-up? Or are they the same, and it's just semantics?

Of course, I could call X customer service, but I'm betting I will get a more accurate answer by CC members than X's customer service, even though it shouldn't be that way.

Is it confusing, or am I just an idiot? Or both?

Thanks a lot for any enlightenment. :)

s included in the "Specialty" coffee (in the Premium package) that isn't included in the lesser-priced "Premium" (in the Classic package) coffee line-up? Or are they the same, and it's just semantics?

That's the million dollar question; it has come up a couple of times here on Cruise Critic and basically there does not seem to be an "official" answer as to what differentiates a specialty coffee from a premium coffee. There seems to be a dozen (or more) different answers that get posed - but no one consistent answer. You may be best off waiting to purchase the package once you board; after boarding head to Cafe al Bacio and speak to the barista about what drinks would be covered by the different packages - then decide whether to go with the premium or classic package. These packages do not need to be purchased in advance, but can be purchased on board the ship.

Cafe al Bacio does make some very tasty coffee concoctions. :)

According to the Celebrity website, the difference is in the alcohol added to 'specialty' coffees:

Quoting from the website:

What is the difference between the Premium Coffee's (Classic/ Premium Nonalcoholic Package) and the Specialty Coffee's (Classic /Premium Package?

Subject: Beverage Packages

Premium coffee's (e.g. espresso's, latte's and capuccino's) are served in our coffee lounge's such as the Cova Bar and Café al Bacio, specialty coffee's include coffee with alcohol and are served in any bar or lounge.

I hope this helps a fellow Washingtonian, and others. :D

Have a FANTASTIC cruise!

CM

Yeah, the web site seems to cause more confusion than clarity though; there have been more posts on Cruise Critic where people with the premium non-alcoholic package were not able to purchase coffee drinks with alcohol in them than posts where people were permitted to do so.

I have purchased one of each on the last two cruises one on the Millie and one on the Century. Since the Century was a short cruise in warm weather, I purchased the premium to be able to get the frozen drinks by the pool. The classic was purchased on the Alaska cruise last August. Both of the beverage packages were purchased on the ship on the morning of the second day. There was basically no difference for me except for frozen and the call brand of water. I did not order any alcoholic drink in the Cova so I don't know if the premium includes those drinks. Every coffee drink is available on the Classic but I did enjoy the smoothies in the Aqua Cafe and by the pool. Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks for the help, guys.

I agree that the "alcoholic coffee" answer seems to be the most common reasoning behind the difference in the two packages, although it doesn't make much sense, since both packages are "non" alcoholic.

Excellent tip, BTW, Gonzo. Unless someone has a definitive answer, which I am doubting, I will wait until I get on-board and actually ask the barista at Cafe al Bacio. Unlike X's customer service reps, I bet the baristas on the ship actually know what they are talking about.

Thanks again!

Well I'm thoroughly confused now too! I don't understand how you could get a drink with liquor like a Spanish Coffee on a non-alcoholic beverage plan. I was assuming that both the classic and premium non alcoholic plans would include the espresso based coffees but we'd have to buy the classic alcoholic plan to get the "boozy" coffees? Yes, No?

Thought I had this all figured out! Haha! Apparently not.

(as someone mentioned maybe there are "special" coffees have nothing to do with alcohol. Gah! Dunno)

Well I'm thoroughly confused now too! I don't understand how you could get a drink with liquor like a Spanish Coffee on a non-alcoholic beverage plan. I was assuming that both the classic and premium non alcoholic plans would include the espresso based coffees but we'd have to buy the classic alcoholic plan to get the "boozy" coffees? Yes, No?

Thought I had this all figured out! Haha! Apparently not.

(as someone mentioned maybe there are "special" coffees have nothing to do with alcohol. Gah! Dunno)

Yeah, I hear you. I am starting to think that there isn't actually a difference in the types of coffee you can get in the Classic vs. Premium non-alcoholic packages. And that it is probably just poor wording in the online beverage package descriptions.

But I would really like confirmation of that before I buy one...

I believe that when the packages first came out, alcoholic coffees were included in the non alcoholic beverage plans. Several cruisers at that time tried to get alcoholic coffees on board and were denied. One even went to the computer room and printed out the exact wording of the plan at that time and got served alcoholic coffees from then on. It was reported and discussed here on Cruise Critic. Shortly after, X changed the description of the beverage plans.

Here's how it reads today:

Classic Non-Alcoholic Package

In addition to enjoying your favorite Coca Cola can and fountain sodas selections such as Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange and Coke Zero, you may also enjoy fresh squeezed and bottled juices, Premium Coffees and Teas and Non-Premium Bottled Water.

*Starting from: 13.00 USD Per Night

Premium Non-Alcoholic Package

Enjoy nearly our entire selection of Non-Alcoholic beverages on board including all canned and fountain soft drinks from Coca Cola, Premium Bottled Water from Evian, Perrier and San Pellegrino, Specialty Coffees and Teas, Non-Alcoholic Frozen Drinks and Smoothies, Red Bull Energy Drink and Specialty Waters from Vitamin Water.

*Starting from: 16.00 USD Per Night

So, the question remains, what is a Premium coffee (available on the Classic plan) and what is a Specialty coffee (available on the Premium plan)?

(And as a sideline, what idiot thought these names up and why is Premium coffee on the Classic plan rather than the Premium plan.)

Whatever other answers we may find, I think you will find that coffee with a shot of alcohol is not going to be available on either non-alcoholic plan anymore.

Thanks for the explanation, Cruisestitch.

Personally, I don't really care to have alcohol in my coffee, but (for example) I would be P.O.'ed if I bought the Classic non-alcoholic package and was told I couldn't get a Caramel Macchiatto (or something like that) because I hadn't bought the Premium non-alcoholic package.

That question is answered in the Beverage Package FAQ on Celebrity's web site...

What is the difference between the Premium Coffee's (Classic/ Premium Nonalcoholic Package) and the Specialty Coffee's (Classic /Premium Package?

Subject: Beverage Packages

Premium coffee's (e.g. espresso's, latte's and capuccino's) are served in our coffee lounge's such as the Cova Bar and Café al Bacio, specialty coffee's include coffee with alcohol and are served in any bar or lounge.

EDIT: Okay, that's weird. The URL I posted keeps getting munged. I've posted in two other threads today just fine.

Well, here we go again, with X changing one part of their website but not changing all the other relevant areas. I wouldn't expect to get an alcoholic coffee with a non-alcoholic package, despite what the FAQ says.

AFAIK -- there aren't any Cova Cafes any more, are there? This indicates to me that this FAQ is out-of-date.

BTW -- none of those links would open.

That question is answered in the Beverage Package FAQ on Celebrity's web site...

EDIT: Okay, that's weird. The URL I posted keeps getting munged. I've posted in two other threads today just fine.

Yeah, that sentence has been cited previously, but I believe that answer is concerning the difference in what coffees are allowed in the alcoholic vs. non-alcoholic packages.

I think that may be helpful to others, but my main concern was the difference in the wording between the two different NON-alcoholic packages, and I don't think that FAQ directly answers that question.

Personally, I think the wording on the website is just screwy based on what section you are in. I'm not convinced there is a difference in the non-alcoholic packages at all, despite the wording.

Well, here we go again, with X changing one part of their website but not changing all the other relevant areas. I wouldn't expect to get an alcoholic coffee with a non-alcoholic package, despite what the FAQ says.

AFAIK -- there aren't any Cova Cafes any more, are there? This indicates to me that this FAQ is out-of-date.

BTW -- none of those links would open.

Yeah, I edited my post to remove them. I had posted them twice before today but this time they got munged when I submitted my reply. Just to Celebrity's web site, scroll down to the bottom and click FAQ then click Beverage Packages and then examine the last question listed.

Yeah, that sentence has been cited previously, but I believe that answer is concerning the difference in what coffees are allowed in the alcoholic vs. non-alcoholic packages.

I think that may be helpful to others, but my main concern was the difference in the wording between the two different NON-alcoholic packages, and I don't think that FAQ directly answers that question.

Personally, I think the wording on the website is just screwy based on what section you are in. I'm not convinced there is a difference in the non-alcoholic packages at all, despite the wording.

It seems to me that they are saying the difference is where the coffee is served from and not the coffee itself. YMMV though.

It seems to me that they are saying the difference is where the coffee is served from and not the coffee itself. YMMV though.

Hmmmm...interesting...I never thought of that - you may be right. That's the first I've heard from that point of view. Thanks for the thought. :)

Archived