Is there anything to eat besides Salmon??

phinn

Several of the tours I have looked at include a lunch or snack and seem to indicate the food of choice is Salmon. One tour mentioned pork as alternative. DH does not eat fish at all or pork. Does this eliminate us from an extended tour?? I would bring something to eat with us if it were allowed off ship, but not sure if that is doable. Can anyone tell me if that there is enough variety that DH can make it back to ship without missing a meal? My particular interest is in Skagway. Thanks

The only foods allowed to be taken off the ship are pre-packaged (commercially packaged items) like cookies, granola bars and crackers.

If the tour says salmon and does not list an alternative, your best bet is to telephone the tour operator. In this situation GOOGLE is your friend.

Check your cell phone calling plan. Many cell phone plans include calls to Alaska for the use of minutes only.

It would help to know what exact tour you are taking as some on the list may have been on that tour and know what the alternatives are. I don't care for salmon, but it is ubiquitous for tours in SE Alaska. The best alternative is to tell them you're a vegetarian as they usually have a vegetarian option available. The other option is to request something specific ahead of time, such as chicken.

One thing I will mention, is that if you are used to the salmon at home, fresh Alaska wild salmon is completely different and you might like it - especially smoked salmon. Of course, you should verify that the salmon is local and fresh-caught and not cheap farmed salmon.

I am vegetarian, and had no trouble requesting a vegetarian option. On one tour where you had to buy your food, I had time to stop at a cafe to pick up a vegetarian sandwich. I ordered it before I left home and they were waiting for me.

Definitely call or email the tour company and ask if they have an alternative.

• 9 months later...
I am vegetarian, and had no trouble requesting a vegetarian option. On one tour where you had to buy your food, I had time to stop at a cafe to pick up a vegetarian sandwich. I ordered it before I left home and they were waiting for me.

Definitely call or email the tour company and ask if they have an alternative.

Can you tell me where this cafe was and which tour company? We are vegetarians and wanted to know my options. Thanks

Several of the tours I have looked at include a lunch or snack and seem to indicate the food of choice is Salmon. One tour mentioned pork as alternative. DH does not eat fish at all or pork. Does this eliminate us from an extended tour?? I would bring something to eat with us if it were allowed off ship, but not sure if that is doable. Can anyone tell me if that there is enough variety that DH can make it back to ship without missing a meal? My particular interest is in Skagway. Thanks

We are getting Vegeterian in Skagway for our private tour.

(I think the only thing you can take off the ship is packaged food - granola bars from home, those small boxes of cereal...)

So there are other options...

(Maybe not part of an excursion... If you are booking a ship excursion, let them know about your dietary restrictions, they SHOULD be accomodating.)

Even on ship purchased outings, you may not get the food type you desire. I had a situation where my lunch was not reserved for me (someone else grabbed it) and I would have gone hungry if not for granola bars. I did not get any sort of a refund for the missing lunch.

Commercially packaged cookies, nuts, and candy as well as granola bars can be taken off the ship in Alaskan ports. Some folks have luck with taking off boiled eggs.

I have never seen pork offered for lunch on tours in Alaska. The typical alternative to fish is chicken.

Ne prepared!

Can you tell me where this cafe was and which tour company? We are vegetarians and wanted to know my options. Thanks

Borrow an Alaska travel book from your library (like Frommers). Those books always have a section for restaurants and include vegetarian choices.

Archived