St.Thomas vs St Martin, beaches vs shopping

cag1954

This is my second eastern Caribbean cruise, the first only went to Nassau. My problem is on our Allure of the Seas cruise coming up in May, I have 1 day in St.Thomas and 1 day in St. Martin. The two things I want to do is shop one day and go to a beach with calm water on the other. So, shopping in St Martin and beach at St Thomas or vice versa? Any help would be appreciated. :)

I was in St. Maarten a few years ago and they have good shopping at the port, but I didn't see much else from there. There are a lot of beaches there, we went to Divi Little Bay, which I liked, but as for how it compares, I really don't know.

I will be going to St. Thomas later this year and I think I am going to plan to be at a beach there as well as shopping. We will be there from 9-6, so I think we will have enough time to do that.

Maybe you can split time at St. Thomas because I hear they have nice beaches and shopping and maybe do the same at St. Maarten.

This is my second eastern Caribbean cruise, the first only went to Nassau. My problem is on our Allure of the Seas cruise coming up in May, I have 1 day in St.Thomas and 1 day in St. Martin. The two things I want to do is shop one day and go to a beach with calm water on the other. So, shopping in St Martin and beach at St Thomas or vice versa? Any help would be appreciated. :)

You can do both on each island.

St Martin has a beach right in the main shopping area.

St Thomas you can go to the beach and then shop downtown. The cruise dock at havensight in st Thomas also has shops.

I will never understand going to a tropical Caribbean island and going shopping.:eek:

You can do that at home.

Easy enough to split your time in each place! You'll have full port days in each place - spend 2-3 hours shopping in the morning, then 2-3 hours at the beach in the afternoon before reboarding! Perfect blend of shopping and sunshine :D You'll get a chance to see a larger selection of stores and two beautiful beaches. You can do all this by taxi (taxi from ship to shops, then shop to beach, then beach to ship).

Easy enough to split your time in each place! You'll have full port days in each place - spend 2-3 hours shopping in the morning, then 2-3 hours at the beach in the afternoon before reboarding! Perfect blend of shopping and sunshine :D You'll get a chance to see a larger selection of stores and two beautiful beaches. You can do all this by taxi (taxi from ship to shops, then shop to beach, then beach to ship).

I would switch that and do the beach in the morning before the crowds..just my opinion.

Both St. Maarten and St. Thomas have shopping and beach. In St. Maarten I would suggest doing a tour, in liew of one or the other. In the past we have done the America's Cup Experience there and then went shopping in the afternoon. Last time we were there, we went shopping in the AM and were scheduled to go on catamaran tour in the afternoon, before it got rained out due to bad weather.

St. Maarten has a water taxi that costs about $5 a person for unlimited trips downtown The taxi leaves right by the cruise ship dock and takes you to the heart of the downtown shopping area.

In St. Thomas when we are there for the day only, we usually get off and walk around downtown early. See people we know in the stores, chat, maybe make a purchase and then head back to the ship. Do a quick change and off to a beach for a few hours.

Scott

I don't even shop at home.:confused:

Then you luckily must have someone that does it for you, if not then you're amazingly self-sufficient.:D

Edited by Ashland

That would be the wife, aka THE LUCKIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD:D

Then I hope you give that "Lucky Girl" a chance for a bit of shopping while on vacation if she wants to, as you never know what she might find for you.:D

Then I hope you give that "Lucky Girl" a chance for a bit of shopping while on vacation if she wants to, as you never know what she might find for you.:D

She has my blessing to do whatever floats her boat.:)

She has my blessing to do whatever floats her boat.:)

I also have a DH like you, and that makes us both very LUCKY girls..Enjoy your next cruise wherever that may take the two of you..:D

• 1 month later...

I know it looks like you have already gone on your cruise (hope it was fun!), but I thought i would offer my thoughts for those that are asking the same question.

I have been to St Maarten a few times. If you love the beach then I would head straight for Orient first thing in the morning. It is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. Clear blue water and soft sand with a long wide stretch to take strolls. We would like to go and spend an entire week! They rent beach chairs and st Maarten has excellent food as well. Stay on the beach til 1 or so and then head back to the port and do your shopping. That way you are already close to the ship and can immediately put all your purchases into your room and you don't have to tote them around all day.

• 7 months later...
I know it looks like you have already gone on your cruise (hope it was fun!), but I thought i would offer my thoughts for those that are asking the same question.

I have been to St Maarten a few times. If you love the beach then I would head straight for Orient first thing in the morning. It is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. Clear blue water and soft sand with a long wide stretch to take strolls. We would like to go and spend an entire week! They rent beach chairs and st Maarten has excellent food as well. Stay on the beach til 1 or so and then head back to the port and do your shopping. That way you are already close to the ship and can immediately put all your purchases into your room and you don't have to tote them around all day.

Orient beach sounds nice. Is it good for our grandchildren? Are there toilets available? If not which beaches should we go to?

We have cruised to both St Marteen (SXM) and St Thomas (STT) and stayed on both islands and both have great shopping and nice beaches.

I would shop on SXM only because I would then take the Golden Eagle cat sail as it is one of the best we've done. I wouldn't go to Orient Beach unless you want the same experience you get on the ship. We spent a week there our first stay and it's a fun, busy beach but not a nice, Caribbean beach IMHO,there are others much nicer on SXM.

For STT I would head directly for Sapphire Beach (we spent a week there and loved the beach and views). Then end your day at Paradise Point for a cocktail (Bailey's Bushwacker!) or a bite to eat and the view of the harbor. The tram to PP is within walking distance of the Havensight dock.

Edited by blue_water
Typo

Orient beach sounds nice. Is it good for our grandchildren? Are there toilets available? If not which beaches should we go to?

Orient Beach is fabulous with all the facilities you need, and a water tramploine for the grandkids. HOWEVER, you will see topless individuals while there. Some parts of the beach are more family oriented and others (to the right) are clothing optional. Even on the family friendly side, there will be a few strollers walking up and down the beach sans a top.

It didn't seem to bother my kids (ages 11 and 13), but if you care, I'd stick to beaches on other islands. St. Thomas has excellent beaches as well.

As for shopping, I love both Philipsburg in St. Maarten and Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas. Both places have excellent deals.

Enjoy!

Edited by MDSue

I would choose Friars Bay or even Baie Rouge over Orient even with no kids because they are much nicer beaches for relaxing. They are generally much calmer and there are vendors there too. And you can also visit nearby Marigot.

Staying on OB can be great for the beach bars, but we would still drive to other beaches for the beach experience. But if you opt for the OB experience you will find an abundance of beach bars and other cruisers.

Edited by blue_water
Typo

• 2 years later...