Please help me understand TAs

rphgf

I have been given the task of putting together a family reunion cruise. I have been scouring these boards and I am more confused than ever about TAs. How can a TA give a discounted price when Carnival says the early saver price is the best I can get?

If I do use a Travel Agent then do I always have to go through them with questions, etc?

If I book through Carnival directly then how do I get the rooms together yet still have each family use their own credit card?

I was on with a very helpful Carnival agent yesterday. He said call him back anytime but when I tried his extension it was "not available" and I had to start over with a different Carnival agent who was not at all helpful.

BTW. we are looking to book the Jan 1, 2012 Legend. Right now I can only confirm 6 cabins but I think eventually 15 more people may be signing on. Any travel planning hints?

Thanks in advance.

I was on with a very helpful Carnival agent yesterday. He said call him back anytime but when I tried his extension it was "not available" and I had to start over with a different Carnival agent who was not at all helpful.

BTW. we are looking to book the Jan 1, 2012 Legend. Right now I can only confirm 6 cabins but I think eventually 15 more people may be signing on. Any travel planning hints?

Thanks in advance.

Do you know if he's just "not available" at that time? Maybe he will be later?

I would still book directly with Carnival, as you'd have to go through your travel agent for even the simplest changes. I'm sure others here will have great advice. Good luck!:)

If you can put together 8 cabins, you can use Carnival's group dept.

ES is still often cheaper than the group prices, but its more restrictive. You can still book the ES price, but buy up to perks sometimes. Each sailing has different perks, so you need to get specific info from the TA or Carnival for that particular cruise, as it will vary from week to week.

If you use a TA for the group then each person can still book with the TA individually. Carnival groups you will still have to be more in charge, so for groups, there are reasons why a TA might be better, imo. ..but generally I prefer to book directly.

The rules that Carnival has in place for TAs prohibits them from discounting a cruise more than Carnival's published rate. An incentive, OBC... bottle of wine, whatever... can't exceed $25 or 5% of the cost of the cruise, whichever is lower...

:)

I have been given the task of putting together a family reunion cruise. I have been scouring these boards and I am more confused than ever about TAs. How can a TA give a discounted price when Carnival says the early saver price is the best I can get?

If I do use a Travel Agent then do I always have to go through them with questions, etc?

If I book through Carnival directly then how do I get the rooms together yet still have each family use their own credit card?

Thanks in advance.[/quote

1) ES is the best price you can get for the cruise you want as it is so far out yet. Prices may or may not drop as the sailing gets closer but if you book with ES you will get a discount on the price owed (if you are before final payment) or OBC if final payment is already passed.

2) You may or may not get the cabins close together depending on availability at the time you book.

3) Yes if you book through a TA who will have to call them about specific questions about your booking.

4) It is possible to pay for each cabin seperate and still have the bookings linked for dining purposes etc.

The advantage with using a travel agent is that if you shop around you probably can get some perks like OBC which CCL normally does not. Also remember if you book 8 or more cabins at once it is considered a group booking and prices should be lower and perhaps a free cabin. Also group perks often come with more amenities like OBC etc. Any travel agent or CCL can give you the specifics on booking a group booking.

The agent they did put me through to said the extension was not listed at all. Perhaps the agent just sent me the wrong number.

Host Mach, thanks. That was exactly the specific information that I was looking for. We would like to book the 6 cabins that we are sure of right now so that we can get the cabins close together.

I think I will go with Carnival directly.

Firefly333 - can you explain about the 'buy up for different perks?"

The Carnival rep did say that on this cruise the early saver rate would be better than the group rate. In any case I cannot book 8 cabins right now.

Thanks all.

Firefly333 - can you explain about the 'buy up for different perks?"

The Carnival rep did say that on this cruise the early saver rate would be better than the group rate. In any case I cannot book 8 cabins right now.

Thanks all.

You have to be booked thru Carnival's group dept to get the perks (or a TA who is handling the group ...as a group, not as individual bookings).

Sometimes you can book the ES rate and then buy up to get the group OBC for yourself... cheaper than booking the group rate to get it.

Iv found with Carnival that nothing is free, including OBC, you usually pay for it one way or another.

Booking ES for a group cruise is destine for disaster.......too many restrictions, no name changes etc........

Take it from someone that books groups.......use a TA. Saves you alot of pain and headaches..........and possible friendships.

The number one reason I say use a TA is to support your local economy. Someone will get commission off the sale. It can either be big corporation or your local travel agent. Both offers pretty much the same thing, but if you book with local TA you are helping your local businesses.

I am all for small business.:D

I am a little nervous about booking the ES rate but I am only going to do that for the 6 cabins that are completely committed.

Can I ask- what are the restrictions on the ES fare that are different from the regular fare? besides the non-refundable deposit?

If I book the regular fare, until what date (how long before the cruise date) is it completely refundable?

As of right now the group rate is not an option. Only 6 cabins are ready to put down a deposit.

Thanks in advance.

Sit down with a local travel agent face to face. They can explain how the group bookings work and if there are any amenity points if you make 8 cabins on the sailing and what you can get with the points such as OBC, wine, reduced rates, cocktail parties, upgrades etc. Most will throw in something beyond what the amenity points will get you to sweeten the deal. Discuss the tour conductor credit if you get to 8 cabins. They cannot sell cruises cheaper than Carnival's rates or they can lose the right to book, but they will most likely give you more than you get with booking the cruise line directly. They take care of the accounting hassle on a group and will make sure you don't miss any of the group deadlines.

Booking ES for a group cruise is destine for disaster.......too many restrictions, no name changes etc........

Take it from someone that books groups.......use a TA. Saves you alot of pain and headaches..........and possible friendships.

this is what I agree with- you want someone who is close by so anyone in the family with questions can call or stop in.

Early Saver rates are not for everyone- once booked with this rate there can be no changes- a family looking to cancel may lose large sums of money to do so.

This is why you need to speak to an agent who will tell you the difference with the different type of rates.

You want the cabins to be set up as individuals. you do NOT want all that responsibility on you-- gawd, if something went wrong it WILL be your fault.

Make sure all cabins are linked together-- having cabins close to each other is really not that important- the cabins will not be able to accomadate more then what they hold.

Waiting in the hall for various family members just makes it harder for other people to travel- meeting up in the elevator bank or a public place makes better sense

My recommendation would be to go through your local travel agency. What you also get by doing this is their vast amount of knowledge and experience. They not only can give you the best advice as to what you need, but will also be there should the unfortunate happen and you need assistance. I agree with an earlier response, support your local businesses. You will build a relationship with your TA and they will be able to help you with all your travel needs.

I am going to throw my 2-cents in.

In your situation I would highly recommend booking with a TA. Not some giant internet based TA, but somebody local to you - or a smaller agency that is affiliated with a big consortium. Make sure that they have at least a heavy focus on cruises - and is experienced with Carnival.

A good travel agent will stick with you and assist you all the way through your cruise, and even after if anything needs to be addressed.

As somebody else posted. Trying to handle a group booking by yourself is a recipe for disaster. In the event anything happens, the travel agent should be responsive and able to assist. Also, if something happens with Carnival, the agent can be something of an advocate. If the agent is affiliated with an agency that books a large volume of cruises, Carnival may listen more to them than if it is just a single passenger.

The agent will get a pretty good commission in order to deal with getting everything lined up and saving you a ton of time and hassle - without you spending a single penny more - and you may save some in the form of OBC's or other gifts for sending business their way.

I just think that you will be very very stressed out to do the cat hearding that is required of group bookings.

The rules that Carnival has in place for TAs prohibits them from discounting a cruise more than Carnival's published rate. An incentive, OBC... bottle of wine, whatever... can't exceed $25 or 5% of the cost of the cruise, whichever is lower...

:)

I need this clarified for me cause an agent I've been communicating with about a cruise I'm thinking of booking for Nov. and they are offering $100 OBC. You said it could only be $25 so I'm really confused.:(

Pat

I am going to throw my 2-cents in.

In your situation I would highly recommend booking with a TA. Not some giant internet based TA, but somebody local to you - or a smaller agency that is affiliated with a big consortium. Make sure that they have at least a heavy focus on cruises - and is experienced with Carnival.

A good travel agent will stick with you and assist you all the way through your cruise, and even after if anything needs to be addressed.

As somebody else posted. Trying to handle a group booking by yourself is a recipe for disaster. In the event anything happens, the travel agent should be responsive and able to assist. Also, if something happens with Carnival, the agent can be something of an advocate. If the agent is affiliated with an agency that books a large volume of cruises, Carnival may listen more to them than if it is just a single passenger.

The agent will get a pretty good commission in order to deal with getting everything lined up and saving you a ton of time and hassle - without you spending a single penny more - and you may save some in the form of OBC's or other gifts for sending business their way.

I just think that you will be very very stressed out to do the cat hearding that is required of group bookings.

Not only will you have the TA behind you, but if there is a problem the TA can get his/her District Sales Manager involved. They can and do work miracles for TA's and their clients.

First of all, don't try to do all of it yourself. When we cruise, we tell our family we are going and they all make their own resvs. Some prefer insides, some balconies. Our next cruise we have six other couples going and we all booked individually with pvp. Just have them link the reservations and you are good to go. You don't need the headache, trust me.

Thanks in advance.

I'm booked on the Legend in May...and I booked through a TA. I HIGHLY recommend booking straight through Carnival!!! Otherwise, if you book through a TA, and they aren't as helpful as you'd like them to be, and you WANT to contact Carnival directly for a price drop later, or an upgrade...they won't talk to you unless you REALLY push the issue. I've been having problems with my TA for a couple weeks now (waiting on an upgrade to an extended balcony after a price drop) and I had ENOUGH today and finally called Carnival and made them contact her to get permission to contact me directly. It is SUCH a pain! I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use a TA again! I have seriously learned my lesson!

-Ashley

I'm booked on the Legend in May...and I booked through a TA. I HIGHLY recommend booking straight through Carnival!!! Otherwise, if you book through a TA, and they aren't as helpful as you'd like them to be, and you WANT to contact Carnival directly for a price drop later, or an upgrade...they won't talk to you unless you REALLY push the issue. I've been having problems with my TA for a couple weeks now (waiting on an upgrade to an extended balcony after a price drop) and I had ENOUGH today and finally called Carnival and made them contact her to get permission to contact me directly. It is SUCH a pain! I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use a TA again! I have seriously learned my lesson!

-Ashley

Absolutely KEY is finding a travel agent you trust and can rely on - especially an agent that specializes in cruises. That is why above I said to avoid large, online discount agencies because their attitude is generally once they book it, their responsibility ends.

Frankly, if I was being treated as you are by the agency, I would ask to have the booking switched to somebody else. I FIRMLY believe that if the agency is going to book ES, they have an obligation to the passenger to quickly submit the ES price drops as soon as they learn of them. If they do not respond to you, then they are not earning their pay.

Thanks for all the good advice. One problem is that I do not have a travel agent that I trust. Moreover, the family is spread out up and down the east coast

and into the midwest so no travel agent would be local to everyone - I am the only one in my state.

Funnily enough when I was reading some of the earlier responses I was wondering what "PVP" stood for, and then lo and behold I got a call this evening from my new Carnival PVP.

I liked her and I think I should be able to work with her. LOL the hard work is done already. I spent this afternoon going through the deck plans (the one on the Carnival site is awful - I used the one at Continental.com, very easy) and I had all the rooms picked out. So, I am going to book the 6 cabins that are definite right now. The others can just book as they can and link to me.

One thing that makes me a little nervous is all those posts that say that a TA could really assist me with any problems with Carnival.

Uh oh! Should I expect problems?

Absolutely KEY is finding a travel agent you trust and can rely on - especially an agent that specializes in cruises. That is why above I said to avoid large, online discount agencies because their attitude is generally once they book it, their responsibility ends.

Frankly, if I was being treated as you are by the agency, I would ask to have the booking switched to somebody else. I FIRMLY believe that if the agency is going to book ES, they have an obligation to the passenger to quickly submit the ES price drops as soon as they learn of them. If they do not respond to you, then they are not earning their pay.

The sad part is that it was through someone I know VERY well - their sister! Highly recommended. Out of the goodness of my heart, I thought, if anyone should make some money off my cruise, let it be someone I know. Lesson learned.

Archived