Shopping in Bermuda

Bradpinksc

Shopping is Bermuda is not like shopping in the Caribbean. There are some shops that sell the usual tourist trivia, but the upscale shops there sell UK stuff, such as linens, china...You won't find the plethora of jewelry stores...no DI. EM

In Hamilton, along the main street, there are a couple shops thats cater more to tourists, like in the Caribbean. However, as stated by other posters, most of the shops were upscale. In St. Georges, there were a couple cute shops. You should definitely check out the fish stew, calamari and onion rings in the Hog Penny in Hamilton. Its along a side street right across from the cruise docks there. YUM! The Rum Runner was good too!

I have a curio cabinet with items in it from all our travels. Will I have a problem finding something?

Sue

There are plenty of places to find souvenirs, upscale or otherwise. They have a downtown Hamilton street fair on Wednesday evenings (not sure which month this starts). We found lots of cute things for a reasonable price. I got three prints (two small, one large) for about $50, but then spent $400 getting them framed at home. I enjoy looking at them every night before I go to bed and remembering Bermuda.

Prices are high on Bermuda as almost everything has to be imported.

The Frog and Onion Pub in the King's Wharf at the Dockyard is in a wonderful old building and serves great food. http://www.frogandonion.bm

Edit: Check out the Bermuda Dept of Tourism site http://www.gotobermuda.com They have a schedule of major activities for each month, lots of other info also.

When we were in Bermuda (20 years ago) but are going back finally in October 2011, I came across some cute coasters to bring back for my MIL. When I got them home and gave them to her, we were looking at the box, and lo and behold the coasters were made in Springfield, Illinois! I still laugh about that to this day. I still have them and believe it or not, use them quite a lot (MIL is gone now and I got the coasters)..lol

I like the local marketplace/craft market which is located at the dockyard next to the Frog and Onion. Also, the glass store and the pottery store make beautiful things - also at the dockyard. Then of course you have the rum cake factory with free samples - yum!

Traveling to Bermuda in Oct and it was mentioned about shopping at the dockyard, does anyone know if this is where the Fantasy will dock..I know absolutely nothing about BERMUDA and we are looking forward to this trip but would like to know more about the island before we get there..I have done some research but would like to know where we will dock so we can plan from there..Any help would be appreciated..;)

Traveling to Bermuda in Oct and it was mentioned about shopping at the dockyard, does anyone know if this is where the Fantasy will dock..I know absolutely nothing about BERMUDA and we are looking forward to this trip but would like to know more about the island before we get there..I have done some research but would like to know where we will dock so we can plan from there..Any help would be appreciated..;)

Hi, we are going to Bermuda on The Pride in 2 weeks. I have done a lot of research since I have never been there before either. I first went to this website and there is a section were you can fill out you address etc.. and they will send you a packet that has all kinds of helpful information. Including maps.

http://www.bermudatourism.com

I also bought Frommer's Bermuda too and I found that to be very interesting.

granny1 asked: ......does anyone know if this is where the Fantasy will dock?.....

The Fantasy will dock at the Dockyard. There are 2 wharves there. One is King's Wharf, the other Heritage Wharf. You will be at one or the other. Here is a map of the Dockyard:

dockyard-map2.jpg

Here is a map of Bermuda; the Dockyard is called the Royal Naval Dockyard on the map. located on middle left:

Bermuda.jpg

Here is a site for the RND: http://www.experiencebermuda.com/dockyard/

Would also suggest you visit the Ports of Call board, Bermuda forum and read there for ideas and ask questions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

SBtS

Shopping is plentiful in Bermuda....alot of stores are pretty expensive, but if you know where to look, there are some good deals...

At the dockyard, you have the Clocktower mall which has about 20 +/- little boutiquey style stores...Davidsons sells clothing and usually has a pretty good sale going on...(Bermuda shirts/hoodies/etc)...the glass blowing place has some gorgeous stuff, but VERY pricey....but I usually find a little something that is either a 'second' or on sale...I also bring back several rum cakes for gifts, they are made right there in the same building...Clayworks is another pricey place...and the Craft Market is usually interesting too....

In Hamiliton, just off the main drag, is a wonderful toy store called Flying something....I usually find something unique and inexpensive there...but most of Hamilton is pretty high priced stuff...but it's a fun place to poke around and there are some of the cheapy souvenier shops too....

I love St George....but it will be interesting to see what becomes of this quaint little town now that very few cruise ships can port there (too shallow and ships are too big)....St George had alot of really cute boutiquey shops and the cheapy souvenier shops too....I did find a really cute shop off the beaten path where an artist and her daughter sold their watercolor prints for a very reasonable price...bought a calendar and black cat print there...

There is also a jewelry store company (with a few locations around the island)..cant remember the name, there was one in St G...and I'm pretty sure there was one in the clocktower mall...they had the cutest little blown glass animals with a Bermuda penny inside...they come nicely packed in a little box (easy for traveling)...I bought several of them for gifts...

I've been to Bermuda 3x and heading back again this Sept....and I have still not seen everything....but I highly recommend going to the zoo/museum/aquarium....it's a beautiful way to spend a few hours and the price is only about $10pp....(bus stops right in front)...

Another tip I can offer.....if you want to go to St George....find out what time the ferry heads that way (only once or twice a day sometimes)...take the ferry over and the bus back....taking the bus both ways could cost you a big chunk of time...I suggest taking the ferry over, spend some time, then hop on the bus and get off at the museum/zoo/aquarium...then back on the bus to Hamilton....take the ferry from Hamilton back to the Dockyard.........

Would love to do some of these things but we dock at 4 on a Saturday and leave around 4 on Sunday so not much time to explore..Oh well good reason to go back..Thanks everyone for the helpful information..;)

Shopping is plentiful in Bermuda....alot of stores are pretty expensive, but if you know where to look, there are some good deals...

"In Hamiliton, just off the main drag, is a wonderful toy store called Flying something....I usually find something unique and inexpensive there...but most of Hamilton is pretty high priced stuff...but it's a fun place to poke around and there are some of the cheapy souvenier shops too...."

Flying Colours which is on Queen Street....love that store. Also on Reid Street you can shop in Gibbons and I believe Marks and Spencer is still there.

There is some nice local pottery crafted by local artists as well as a lot of things made from Bermuda cedar. As other posters have stated, a good selection of Brittish woolens and china, but not inexpensive.

Has anyone bought Wedgewood in Bermuda? When we were in Grand Cayman I bought these small plates that were specifically made for the Caribean. I thought I saw one in a Bermuda ad with a bird flying on it. I'd love to get it to add to my collection.

There are definitely some fun interesting shops. The Island Store on Queen Street is not inexpensive but has really unique Bermuda items. The Irish Linen and English Sport shops on Front Street have many lovely items for sale, often at better prices than you will see in the States. Pick up some duty free rum at Goslings. Maybe a stunning Bermuda Longtail gold charm at Crisson's. Vera Card Gallery over in St. George's has beautiful artwork and nice jewelry and crafts. Maybe a beautiful watercolor or print by Carole Holding. A delicious rum cake from the Dockyard. Some fun english or european candy from the Phoenix.. There is lots to buy, just not a lot chain stores on the island

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Probably too late to help you, but my husband and I bought Wedgwood in Hamilton that was specifically made for Bermuda. At the time there was a demonstration in one of the stores and the piece was signed by the artist from Wedgwood.

Archived