Alcohol Policies for Every Cruise Line

Host CMLA

Of course, you know what CC members really want: It's the corresponding page on how to evade the rules for each cruise line. ;)

I notice, though, that the official information posted on that page for NCL is itself apparently inconsistent with what's being reported as the "on the ground" reality, namely that the policy has been relaxed so that you can bring on any wine that NCL does not itself sell, subject to a $10 per bottle corkage charge.

It was a good idea to post this thread.

That should end a lot of the debates that go on here like "Cruise line X allowed us to bring alcohol on board but NCL confiscated it and made us feel like total criminals...."

Would it possible to make that a sticky note at the top of the forum?

But I agree with Globaliser in that most folks would want to know how to evade these rules. ;):p;)

I just have one problem with this: NCL part says no alcohal but doesn't mention wine which would cause one to wonder why? Most of do know NCL changed the policy in November, allowing wine to be carried on, but a $10 per bottle corkage fee will be imposed. NMnita

I called NCL and asked specifically about wine and the corkage fee and they laughed at me. They said no way to bringing wine on board and that I had heard incorrectly that they had changed their policy. The customer service person basically scoffed that I could even ask such a question. :-(

Just returned from NCL Pride od Aloha.

My friend purchased 2 little bottles of Kaluha mudslides and they were taken at security check in at Hilo. She had to claim then on day of disembarcation.

We had gone to a winery in Kona and I purchased a bottle of wine and I was able to bring that on board.

There are several lines missing.

Also - "Allowed without confiscation" - does that mean there also is "Allowed WITH confiscation?" :D

Very funny CruisinMatt. It should absolutely say WITH confiscation!

Go Oshgosh! I was born in Eau Claire and lived in Appleton. Can't say that Connecticut weather is too different than Wisconsin weather!

You can bring wine on board...$10 corkage fee per bottle. Here is an email I received from a rep at NCL ...

Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 7:14 AM

Subject: RE: Bringing Wine on board

Good morning,

Please note that you are now allowed to bring onboard wine. However, there is a corkage fee of $10.00 per bottle for a 750ml bottle of wine. This will be charged to your onboard account.

Thank you,

Gutierrez, Maybelin <MGutierrez@ncl.com>

Did you guys see this on the Cruise Critic main page? It gives the alcohol policy for every cruise line.

Alcohol Policies

Cecilia, you have mentioned the link before. The problem is, the information as limited as it is, is completely inconsistant with what the folks at NCL say when you call, depending on the day and who you speak to. Not to mention that people on these boards all tell of countless stories that don't match up.

Some walk right on board with wine and there is no problem. With others it is collected until the end of the cruise. Still others say that they pay a corkage fee and of course there is always the folks who say they buy wine at one of the ports and bring it on and everything is just grrreattttt!

So, what is the story exactly? The link and it's information certainly do NOT match the majority of the information provided by CC members.

I think one entry missing is the "Degree of Enforcement".

We were on the Star when others reported having their bottles confiscated at embarkation. Some of these people were indeed surprised by the rule and took it in stride. But I'd guess, the vast majority were aware of the policy and still screamed bloody murder.

I even overheard one lady complaining to the check-in security person that she thought it was unfair that hers had been taken away but not her husband's. Way to go, lady.

Maybe it was the odds, but my wife's Baileys and my Glenmorangie both arrived safe and sound in our checked bags. In fact, of the 14 in my family, 11 people had the same good luck. Unfortunately, the other three in the family ... don't drink. :)

So, what is the story exactly? The link and it's information certainly do NOT match the majority of the information provided by CC members.
To be honest...I don't know. I saw this story on the main CC page and I thought it might be helpful but it seems that it's only making things more complicated. I don't know who wrote the article and I don't know where that person got the information. I'm assuming they went straight to the cruise line and got the information from them. I think rickcohen2 is right and enforcement is a different story from what the rules really are.

I just called NCL and spoke to Christina. I ordered my bar set-up and asked her about wine. She said yes, you can bring your own on board but you will be charged a $15.00 corkage fee...I think I will just buy my wine on board, whats another 5.00? Plus, I won't need much since I bought a bottle of Tequila and a bottle of Vodka..............

I just called NCL and spoke to Christina. I ordered my bar set-up and asked her about wine. She said yes, you can bring your own on board but you will be charged a $15.00 corkage fee...I think I will just buy my wine on board, whats another 5.00? Plus, I won't need much since I bought a bottle of Tequila and a bottle of Vodka..............

Now it's 15$ corking fee??! :confused: YIKES!

Cecilia, you have mentioned the link before. The problem is, the information as limited as it is, is completely inconsistant with what the folks at NCL say when you call, depending on the day and who you speak to. Not to mention that people on these boards all tell of countless stories that don't match up.

Some walk right on board with wine and there is no problem. With others it is collected until the end of the cruise. Still others say that they pay a corkage fee and of course there is always the folks who say they buy wine at one of the ports and bring it on and everything is just grrreattttt!

If you read NCL dailies it clearly states a uncorking fee for $10.00 per bottle

just returned from Dawn... Had two bottles of wine.. in seperate luggage.. they found one and not the other... I went to retrieve my luggage, they asked me what I had in it, I said wine.. I told the gentleman that I was under impression that I could bring wine on board and be charged a $10 corkage.. he just smiled and said " you are just drinking that in your room, right!" i said sure, and that was that.. no corkage fee....

Not that I am a big smuggler, but... I also had nips in my toiletry bag... no problem... And now you can decent wine in the box.. there are some really good quality reds now in boxes... that probably wouldnt be detected by screening..

Believe me, they still made plenty of $ off of us on booze!!! my family had a tab of around $500.00... most of that is profit!!!!

See what I mean about inconsistant messages? You never get the same answer twice from NCL.
And right you are about that. They are notoriously bad for never giving the same answer twice. It would be interesting to do a poll where folks call up to ask customer service a question to see how many different answers they get to a single question. :p

For NCL, the alcohol policy upon embarkation is pretty clearly stated: "Not allowed. Confiscated." :rolleyes:

On many occasions this policy is strictly enforced. :(

Other times it is not. ;)

It boils down to the ship and who's inspecting the baggage when it's your turn to board the ship. Or, who's looking over the baggage inspector's shoulder as your bag is being inspected, etc.

Bottom line is that if folks choose to bring their own supply on board, they should also be aware that they can meet a baggage inspector who will follow the ship's alcohol policy to the letter.

Archived