Ship Movement - RCCL vs Carnival

Tres Gato

First let me say that I am very prone to motion sickness. I have tried everything - dramamine, meclizine, ginger, etc. The best combination I have found is the patch and bonine (i would rather the side effects than be motion sick - it's that bad). I have been on 4 cruises: 2 on RC and 2 on Carnival. I got seasick on both Carnival cruises, even using the patch and bonine, but did not get seasick on either RC. I have noticed that the Carnival ships seemed to sway a lot more than the RC ships and was wondering if anyone else has had that experience. I was on the RC Monarch of the Seas in Sept 2009 and occasionally felt the ship sway but only for a minute at a time. But when I was on the Carnival Sensation (similar size to the Monarch) in Sept 2008, the shipped swayed for hours on 2 days out of a 3 day cruise. On RC Explorer of the Seas in May 2006, I couldn't even tell the ship was moving. But on Carnival Glory in late March 2010, the shipped swayed constantly for the whole first sea day and on and off for the whole 7-day cruise. None of the times I cruised have the seas been particularly rough. Could it be that Carnival uses their stabilizers less often than RC? Or maybe I'm just sensitive to the movement on Carnival ships? Or could it be that it was just conincidence that the 2 cruises I got sick on were Carnival cruises. I love to cruise and hate to limit myself to 1 cruise line but the thought of getting seasick again is really unappealing as once I get seasick, I will not feel right for days. Any ideas? :confused:

I don't think any of the lines use stabilizers on any type of regular basis unless sea conditions call for it, as they really kill fuel efficiency. It also depends on the winds. Even though the perception is that the bigger ships weigh more and are more stable, they also have a larger "sail" area and catch more wind. That will cause more of a sway. I just don't think we can make general statements about how certain ships handle weather and seas compared to other ships unless you happen to be on both ships in the same conditions at the same time. That's pretty hard LOL.

I don't think the cruise line has anything to do with it. It's where you are on the ship and the sea/wind conditions. Interestingly the only ship I really felt movement on was RC Explorer of the Seas which is a massive ship, but the water to Bermuda was very rough that day. Return from Bermuda was calm seas.

Agree with low deck mid-ship being best for those who fear feeling motion.

Have fun. I just love being at sea and treasure every moment. :)

On our Mexican Riviera cruise this past January on the Mariner Of the Seas , I got to have a conversation with the 1rst officer of the ship ,and this subject came up , he told me that it is RC's policy to slow the ship a few knots and drop the stabilizers between midnight and 5 am ,to provide a smoother ride while most passengers where in bed. Don't know if that's the truth, but I have no reason not to believe him , and we actually had fairly calm seas most of the time so I can't honestly tell you I felt a difference, and we where mid ship 8th deck

The larger the ship, the less you will feel the ocean motion....and of course, how MUCH motion depends on the seas! No cruiseline can control that!

Midships is a good location for sleeping...during the day, you're likely to be up on an open deck....few folks stay sequestered in their cabin all the time.

There are certain areas where the ocean is prone to be a bit rough--where 2 bodies of water collide.....how rough can't be predicted.

Since you are soooo prone to motion sickness, you should start taking a preventative a day or so BEFORE you board the ship....let it build up in your system...and take it religiously thereafter. Prevention is much better than a cure!

The OP is looking for guarantees about nature and it does not exist. Mega ships are moved by long swells more than waves and stabilizers are worthless against long swells. Bottom line is that ships sail upon the sea and when the sea moves everything on that sea will move too. The OP might want to consider staying on land.

Hank

Actually, I'm not looking for guarantees about nature and I don't know how my post left someone thinking that is what I was after. I was simply wondering if there could be a difference between RC and Carnival ships on a whole that would affect the movement of the ship, explaining why I have only become seasick on Carnival ships. I thought maybe some more experienced cruisers would have some insight. I do not have a problem with any of the movement other than when the ship lists from side to side for hours at a time, something I have only experienced on Carnival (hence, my question). From the replies it seems that it is probably just a coincidence and the seas at the time would have probably affected any ship in the same way. I understand that because I am prone to motion sickness, it is something I will probably have to deal with on some cruises. I am not going to let that keep me on land all of the time because I enjoy a good cruise.

Wasn't trying to be flipant, but we once had a long dinner conversation with a Captain about what makes ships move. So much is just luck of the draw. Most all of the modern cruise ships are built with a relatively shallow draft and a very high profile (that lets them put up more decks and lots of balconies. This makes these ships like big wind vanes. Your bad luck with Carnival was probably caused by a combination of the prevailing winds and the direction and height of the long swells. Caribbean cruises going out of Florida often face cross winds and cross currents (the Gulf Stream) which can cause problems. If you want to minimize ship movement your best bet is probably cruising on the Queen Mary 2, which is built like a "liner" instead of a typical cruise ship. This ship has a pretty deep hull, and good wind-friendly profile, and lots of extra power. Another way to increase your chances of little movement is to cruise in the Med during June and July when the seas are normally pretty calm (but there are always exceptions).

Hank

There are some ships that have a reputation for giving a rough ride, but fortunately they are few. The Queen Victoria has been nicknamed 'Sicky Vickie' since she came out. There is a Carnical ship with nearly the same plan and size. You may have had that one.

My own husband gets seasick very easily and not much seems to help him. It's his bad luck that he married a Viking. He does better on classic (ocean liner) style ships and has been OK on the ships of Crystal Cruise Lines.

Archived