Proper attire for women at the Western Wall

reggielew

Hi!

We are planning to be on the Celebrity Silhouette in September and will spend 3 1/2 days in Israel. From all my reading, I was under the impression that it was o.k. for women to wear long pants (not tight fitting) and a jersey or blouse with sleeves to the elbow when visiting the Kotel. However, according to Frommer's, women should wear long skirts rather than pants.

I certainly want to be respectful and dress appropriately, but if it is acceptable, I would much prefer wearing nice light-weight pants. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

Reggie

Also wondering if it is appropriate throughout the entire Middle East for female tourists to wear loose fitting long pants. This is what I plan to wear on excursions in The UAE, Oman, Jordan, Egypt and Israel and what I have worn in many hot climates around the world. The attire is more safari style and very comfortable.

Well my niece is a lawyer in Dubai and her company prefer her to wear a pants suit when dealing with local clients rather than a skirt suit. I think covering the shoulders is often the issue; even in Italy I noticed many more women wore shirts with short sleeves than here in Australia (where summer clothes even for older women seem to be so bare. Then you freeze in aircon and get sunburnt when outside!!)

But I am thinking to take my long skirts to Israel and Turkey as I actually find them the coolest things I have.

Last year I shoved a long skirt in the bottom of my day bag just in case capris were not acceptable somewhere in our travels. I never took it out. I did' however, have use often for a shawl to cover my arms and shoulders.

When we were at the Western Wall, there were women at the entrances giving shawls( really just lengths of fabric) at no charge to those not properly covered. They simply took them back as the tourists left the area.

Unfortunately, this question comes up often due to the misinformation in Frommer's guide.

The basics for visiting the Western Wall in Jerusalem are that your knees and shoulders should be covered - for both men and women - and that your neckline should not be too revealing. Pants are fine for women as are short sleeved shirts. If you prefer to wear a skirt - ok - but there is no expectation or demand that you do so. The same holds true for all but one or two very small churches.

Unfortunately, this question comes up often due to the misinformation in Frommer's guide.

The basics for visiting the Western Wall in Jerusalem are that your knees and shoulders should be covered - for both men and women - and that your neckline should not be too revealing. Pants are fine for women as are short sleeved shirts. If you prefer to wear a skirt - ok - but there is no expectation or demand that you do so. The same holds true for all but one or two very small churches.

As a matter of interest, does covering the knees also apply to children? I'm thinking of my 10/11 year old son.

You can managed at the Wailing Wall in long baggy pants, but if the powers that be who are checking out for modesty think they are too tight, they will give you a long wrap around skirt to wear over them. Ditto if they think your skirt is too short and/or tight.

Marian Paroo

Tel Aviv, Israel.

Archived