Favorite DSLR lens?

Robin7

What is your favorite 'go-to' lens for everyday shooting on your DSLR and why? Just wondering.

Robin

I use the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 lens (link to B&H Photo). It's a highly-recommended, well-built lens. Photos are very sharp with this lens.

I find the focal length of 17-55mm to be just right for every-day use. It's wide enough to capture most of the relevant scene when I photograph. It also allows me the flexibility to compose photos with an interesting foreground in front of an interesting background.

This lens also has image stabilization, which helps with low-shutter-speed photos.

But what makes this lens shine for me is the large aperture of f/2.8. I tend to take a lot of low-light photos, so having a large aperture is very important to me.

There are similar lenses made by Tamron, and some people like them, especially for the relatively cheaper price compared to the Canon.

Tamron 18-270. Rarely do I have to change it out. Nice and wide at the low end for those panoramic pictures, and the high end takes care of 99% of my long photo's. Takes excellent pictures from end to end.

Cheers,

For the last 4 years I have used my Minolta 28-75 f/2.8 more than any other lens. It provides a normal-medium telephoto range on my A700 that suits my shooting style when it's time to carry a DSLR and the constant aperture and sharpness has produced some great memories. A close second would be my new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 which serves as a short telephoto portrait/low-light lens. The combination of the sharpness at f/1.4 and stabilization makes it ideal for portraiture and detailed subjects with natural lighting.

On my NEX-5, the kit 18-55 zoom has been a good fit as a walkabout lens which the tiny APS-C camera is well-suited for.

Oh...I love my Lensbaby Composer too!

I guess my favorite lens is the one that lets me get the image that I want into the camera...:p

Dave

Favorite lens and everyday lens are 2 different things for me. My favorite lens is the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 II. It's little big/heavy, and not wide enough for everyday use though. My walk around lens therefore is the Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6. Great lens, but I wish it was a little faster. I've therefore been kicking around switching to the 17-55mm f/2.8 that Picsboy mentioned. I just wish that lens had a little more reach. Why can't Canon make a 15-105mm f/2.8 (with IS and USM and what the heck...make it an L) that costs <$1K? :D

Most used, favorite and everyday believe it or not are different.

Everyday 24-120F4, 1000-5000 shots a year

Most used ( ie the most frames shot with ) 70-200 2.8, maybe 20,000+ shots a year

Favorite is 200F2, maybe 200-300 shots a year but they are really special when shot at F2.

Another favorite is my 17-35 F2.8, used even less than my 200F2 maybe 100 shots a year or less.

What is your favorite 'go-to' lens for everyday shooting on your DSLR and why? Just wondering.

Robin

We have three lenses we use with our Canon 40D (all Canon):

EFS 18-55mm f3.5-5.6

70-300mm IS f4-5.6

28-135mm IS f3.5-5.6

I usually use the 28-135mm as my 'everyday' lens, but I've been wanting something a little faster. I can't afford a zoom right now, so I've been thinking about the Canon 50mm f1.8. It's more than affordable since it is a fixed focal length. Any opinions?

My husband says since we don't shoot with a full sensor digital that it will seem more telephoto than I'm thinking it is. But the fastness is appealing to me.

I'd appreciate any input.

Robin

We have three lenses we use with our Canon 40D (all Canon):

EFS 18-55mm f3.5-5.6

70-300mm IS f4-5.6

28-135mm IS f3.5-5.6

I usually use the 28-135mm as my 'everyday' lens, but I've been wanting something a little faster. I can't afford a zoom right now, so I've been thinking about the Canon 50mm f1.8. It's more than affordable since it is a fixed focal length. Any opinions?

My husband says since we don't shoot with a full sensor digital that it will seem more telephoto than I'm thinking it is. But the fastness is appealing to me.

I'd appreciate any input.

Robin

In some ways, your husband is right.

Take one of your lenses and set it to approximately 50mm. Look through the camera to see what kind of view you'd have if you were to talk around all day with the 50mm lens. It is a little more on the long end (ie. a little bit telephoto) for every day use. Some people like it and can pull it off for everyday use.

You're also right, though, that the 50mm f/1.8 lens is a nice, affordable, fast (ie. large aperture) lens. For just $100, you actually can't go wrong having this lens in your collection, no matter what your husband says.

If you're really looking for a walk-around, large aperture / fast, prime lens, try looking into the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens (link to B&H). Again, take one of your lenses, set it at 30mm, and see whether you'd be okay walking around all day with that view through your camera. If you're okay with the view at 30mm, then you'd probably do okay with that Sigma lens.

My general 'one lens' solution is the Sigma 17-70 OS 2.8-4. If I know I'm going to be shooting in low light, I carry just my 35 and 50 1.8s. My favorite lens to play with is the Sigma 10-20.

Like most others here, favorite, most used, and everyday/default are different. For me, my everyday, go-to lens by default for my DSLR is my 18-250mm F3.5-6.3. No question, it's the most versatile and can do a little of everything for when you're not sure what you'll need to shoot. My favorite lens is a harder choice - it's probably been my Minolta 300mm F4 APO, which is also creeping up on the most-used title (Currently, my Tamron 200-500 is the most-used, but the 300mm F4 with 1.4x TC has been getting more work than the Tamron lately. Other favorites which get regular use are my Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5, and my Sigma 30mm F1.4. I have a total of 8 lenses for my DSLR.

I also have a Sony NEX APS-C mirrorless camera, like Dave. I currently have the 18-55mm kit lens, and agree that it's an excellent pairing with the camera and my general purpose, everyday go-to lens. I also have a Pentax K mount adapter and 5 Pentax K-mount manual lenses to use with the NEX, and a Konica K/AR mount adapter and 4 Konica Hexanon lenses to use with the NEX. So my NEX system has quickly built itself up to 10 lenses due to the ability to use any lens from any manufacturer via adapters. I already had the Pentax SLR and lenses, and came into the Konica kit on a great offer.

Wow! You all have given me much to think about. Thanks!

We're heading to Disneyland in a week, and I hate hauling around the 'big' camera. (I always take our Canon D10.) So I wanted to take just one lens. (I have hauled around my backpack with all three of them in previous trips! :eek:) But I have found my lenses to be too slow at Disney in the past.

I really like the looks of the Sigma lens but just can't spend that kind of money right now. We're going to buy the Canon 50mm, but I think I'll also take my 18-55mm just to cover my bases; it's not too big or heavy. I hadn't thought to pull out the camera and look through the lens I have at about 50mm. (I am so blonde sometimes!) I think it will be okay.

But I think the real solution is to just get a Canon 5D. :D

Thanks for all the input!

Robin

But I think the real solution is to just get a Canon 5D. :D

I think even if you get the 5D you will still like having the 50mm. Once you have used a fast lens, it is hard to use anything else. Being able to play with the depth of field is something that upgrading your body won't give you.

Every new lens I get becomes my favourite, first the Nikon 50mm f1.8, then the Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro, then the Nikon 70-210mm f4 (got it for $140!). Probably a toss-up between the 70-210 and the 50, depending on what I'm doing. I have yet to get something fast and wide, not sure what that would be like.

I have the Canon 50mm f1.8 and love it. It is NOT a walking-around type lens though, it is closer to a macro lens while not being a true macro. I use it mostly for photographing my dogs, visits to the botanical gardens and other places where you can get closer to the subject or move further away to compose your shot since you don't have a zoom-in zoom out function.

It does fantastic in low-light situations and focuses quickly.

Worth the money though and definitely something I always keep in my bag.

5458974898_9ee540f539_z.jpg

As far as walking around - I'm stuck with the Canon kit lens until I can save up and get a 17-55 or 18-270 tamron lens. Both look great but are a bit much for my budget right now.

If I really had to choose the Canon 24-105 f4L would be my one and only lens, but... My perfect lens changes depending on where I am. For wildlife the Canon 100-400 f4L is my goto lens but when I'm in a city I go for the Canon EFS 17-55 f2.8. Each lens has it's strong and weak points and I hate to say I like those three almost equally. The 24-105 does not shine in any one area. It's too short for much wildlife photography and it's not wide enough and too slow for a lot of interior or low light work but there is something to be said for being boringly in the middle and doing it well.

If I really had to choose the Canon 24-105 f4L would be my one and only lens, but... My perfect lens changes depending on where I am. For wildlife the Canon 100-400 f4L is my goto lens but when I'm in a city I go for the Canon EFS 17-55 f2.8. Each lens has it's strong and weak points and I hate to say I like those three almost equally. The 24-105 does not shine in any one area. It's too short for much wildlife photography and it's not wide enough and too slow for a lot of interior or low light work but there is something to be said for being boringly in the middle and doing it well.

Seeing you have an EFS lens you are shooting on a crop factor camera. The 24-105 was created for the full frame 5d. It is equal to a 35 on a crop camera. The 24-105 is a great lens on the full frame cameras however they also have higher ISO settings. That said, for the crop cameras you would be happier with the 17-55 because it is equal to a 24mm on a full frame camera.

For travel I have taken nothing but the 24-105 and been happy but it is often not long enough since I shoot with the 5d Mark 2. I bought a Tamron 28-300vr and use a monopod for travel for additional stability. My husband has the same lens for his crop factor 60d but I always have a 50 1.2 in my bag for low light situations.

I don't think I have a favourite lens, but I do have my travel lens - 12-24mm and 18-200mm and I have been traveling around the world with them since 2007 (started digital photography only in 2005, before that it was film with only 50mm). For a number of people, they would diss 18-200mm as lousy PQ and all, but heck - it's a great travel lens. I still get very decent photos, and memorable photos out of it. Was it really that bad? I don't know, but I know I got great photos (ok, to me it's great) out of it.

I have only recently bought my 1st "pro" lens, which is meant for the upcoming Alaska trip where I could throw in the teleconverter to get my zoom length at a "lower" price (and no, I don't think I would like the 80-400mm lens, so that's out of the question; So the next lens to hit that range which would have been the 200-400mm lens and that's above 10K!!!). But, having playing around with it to familiarised myself with the lens and the teleconverter, I have to say, this is fast becoming my favourite lens.

Having said that... I would still think twice of bring it along - unless I have specific reasons, like this upcoming trip - due to the weight of this lens. Man, I need to start doing weight lifting at the gym to hand hold this lens for the whole day!!!

I'll cast another vote for the Canon 24-105 f4.0L, when paired with a full frame body (5D Mark2). Second favorite is the 70-200 f4.0L IS, but I don't use it nearly as much as the 24-105. I am looking forward to trying the new 8-15 F4.0L fisheye when it is available.

If you can afford it, try to go with fast lenses. My favorite "all around" lens is my 17-55mm f2.8. Agreeing with another post above, the 70-200mm f2.8 gets extremely sharp images and is also great for an all-around lens but a bit heavy to carry around. I still do it though. Don't want to miss any opportunities with the wrong lens!

Archived