Terminology Question

Although I have been on CC for some years, I never really went to other boards besides the Honeymoon and Wedding boards. Now that I am on the RC board, I see a lot of terms that I am not sure about and want to get a bit of an education.

What does it mean when someone talks about a hump balcony?

Why are these rooms different?

What does Aft mean? Is that the back of the ship?

What does portside mean? Is that the side of the ship that faces the port?

Thanks for helping a newbie cruiser who strives to be a D+ one day.

A Hump Balcony is a cabin at the part of the ship that Humps out from the normal line of the ship, Royal ships have this feature and it helps the ships look less like a block of appartments. These cabins have an ability to have an easier view along the ship, and often have larger balconies. Yes Aft is at the back of the ship, and port is the left hand side of the ship, easy to remember as both Port and Left are 4 letters.:)

Although I have been on CC for some years, I never really went to other boards besides the Honeymoon and Wedding boards. Now that I am on the RC board, I see a lot of terms that I am not sure about and want to get a bit of an education.

What does it mean when someone talks about a hump balcony?

Why are these rooms different?

What does Aft mean? Is that the back of the ship?

What does portside mean? Is that the side of the ship that faces the port?

Thanks for helping a newbie cruiser who strives to be a D+ one day.

A lot of veteran cruisers will take a hump cabin or aft cabin over any others; why? The hump cabin balcony juts out more than the normal balcony cabins; the view is a little better; as for aft cabins; some of the aft cabins will have larger balconys than the ones on the side of the ship.

Port is left side of ship

Starboard is right

Aft is the back or rear of the ship

Bow is the front.

On Allure/Oasis if you have oceanview most want the starboard side because it will mostly face the port we are at dock.

As for the balconieis some like the aft ones because they tend to have larger balconies the the side ones plus you see out the aft at the wake of the ship. The hump cabins are the ones that stick out of the side so you have more vision area, better view.

Corner afts are very desireable too..as some have a small wrap around..my favorite is JS #1100 on RCI Jewel of the Seas..This was an awesome way to sail the Baltics....:D

Archived